The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Why is the Weed not getting cheaper?

isStellablue

Bluelighter
Kind of wonder why with all the MM around the street price of good reefer is not coming down, at least not here. (Idaho) You know that all the MM growers in
Cali, Oregon, Washington, Montana, if so inclined, can easily divert some of their crop to the underground markets. Even the smaller, scragglier buds not salable as MM would be easily salable underground. Really can't understand why there has been no increase in supply resulting in lower prices.
Any thoughts?
RJ

you are just in the wrong place. plenty of markets have seen saturation of product resulting in dirt cheap buds cuz nobody can move their shit at higher prices cuz its SO available.

^ This.

I don't know who you know, but I get my bud dirt cheap nowadays.

(Far less than half price of medical marijuana, for same/similar/better quality.)

Wish I lived in one of those areas with a saturated market. Prices around here have stayed pretty high consistently or even gone up...

I think it will eventually

As good as some of it is, it probably tends to stay closer to home.

About MM, at first I thought it not such a good idea, mainly because putting it in the hands of the AMA would be worse than the government.

Now it looks like as they have been barely controlling it for the last few decades,
they may not be able to contain it at all. As more and more folks can legally and openly grow, it will be very hard for them to control the quantities grown.

RJ

^ The whole reason marijuana was made illegal in the first place was because it cannot be controlled, and therefore was a major threat to the cotton industry.

Anyone can grow it, anywhere, anytime. That is not good for business.

It doesn't matter who 'controls' marijuana as long as its legal to possess grow and smoke. That way, if you don't like they way its being controlled, simply grow your own. It is, after all, just a plant.

i am from oregon and notice the same thing! although i just got my medical card today so i just got some clones and will be able to enjoy my own product. :)

Why MM Kind of Scares Me

As they lose control, I fear that they will aggressively try to regain control.
Consider the possibility of large farms run by big pharma, with a corresponding very harsh crackdown on underground weed. If you've paid them for their weed, ok, if you've got illegal pot, ten years. Life for illegal growers.

We need to push for full legalization.

As they lose control, I fear that they will aggressively try to regain control.
Consider the possibility of large farms run by big pharma, with a corresponding very harsh crackdown on underground weed. If you've paid them for their weed, ok, if you've got illegal pot, ten years. Life for illegal growers.

We need to push for full legalization.

Hmm... I think you misunderstand how Medical Marijuana works...

Nobody is going to jail because of medical marijuana.
And like I said in my last post, you can't control weed because if its legal to smoke weed, its legal to smoke all weed. It all contains the same chemicals. Therefore, no matter who is selling weed, if you do not like it you can grow your own.

Sorry to disagree

It would be very easy for them to grow weed with, say, a genetic marker or something like that, which could easily be tested for and impossible to duplicate by any regular grower.

The way it is now is a great improvement where MM is legal, depending on the particular laws of the state. Trouble is, big pharma and the AMA cartels are extremely powerful and the herd all too often go along with whatever they think. After all they are doctors. They would not have too much trouble enacting laws which would REALLY make criminals of us. After all, they'd say, if you need it for medicine, you can still get it (at their price), anyone else would be really demonized. Do you think these legal cartels will be any more ethical than the illegal ones?

Of course anyone can grow weed, but if you were looking at life for doing so would you grow? I don't think I'm being paranoid fearing this happening.

(dont mean to demonize doctors. Lots and lots of them are great, but too many only want to line their pockets.)

Last edited:
They are not going to turn back to life for growing weed, like in the 50's or something, not as many people 50 and over that are smoking again or who never quit, the boomers are said to be returning(if they ever left) to smoking weed, like they did in college and shit, since their kids are outta the house, many have retired,so no drug tests, etc..and the current 16-40 population can vote as can the more powerful politically baby boomer generation ,so it will never go back to life in prison for a joint(happened in Texas in the 40's or 50's!!) or for growing some plants either.Our jails are already overcrowded with non violent drug offenders, and who will they release?, killers , rapists, or non violent drug offenders, many of which are actually doing hard time for weed..I know of a local guy, about 60+, that is facing life in the federal pen for trafficing more than a ton(1000kg+ or more says the federal laws) over a 5 year period, he can face up to life in jail for that, but at his age, 60-something, anytime over 5 to 10 years is a life sentetance!! We do need fill legaliztion or full decriminalization in the whole US!!
Besides you asking why prices have not gone down in your area, might be you live in a smaller,rural area ,where demand outpaces supply!!

It would be very easy for them to grow weed with, say, a genetic marker or something like that, which could easily be tested for and impossible to duplicate by any regular grower.

Why would a genetic marker on those plants not be able to be duplicated by a grower? All you would need to do I think, is too obtain some seeds from there plants and cross those plants with another, making a hybrid of the two, with the genetic marker being found, or taking some MMJ clones with the genetic marker and growing them to full size,having one clone you force to become a mother plant for seeds, via a male plant of any type, or just by using lights and all that to force the female to produce seeds, duuno exatly how that works,but they can do it..

We Won't go back to the 50's

They are not going to turn back to life for growing weed, like in the 50's or something, not as many people 50 and over that are smoking again or who never quit, the boomers are said to be returning(if they ever left) to smoking weed, like they did in college and shit, since their kids are outta the house, many have retired,so no drug tests, etc..and the current 16-40 population can vote as can the more powerful politically baby boomer generation ,so it will never go back to life in prison for a joint(happened in Texas in the 40's or 50's!!) or for growing some plants either.Our jails are already overcrowded with non violent drug offenders, and who will they release?, killers , rapists, or non violent drug offenders, many of which are actually doing hard time for weed..I know of a local guy, about 60+, that is facing life in the federal pen for trafficing more than a ton(1000kg+ or more says the federal laws) over a 5 year period, he can face up to life in jail for that, but at his age, 60-something, anytime over 5 to 10 years is a life sentetance!! We do need fill legaliztion or full decriminalization in the whole US!!
Besides you asking why prices have not gone down in your area, might be you live in a smaller,rural area ,where demand outpaces supply!!

I'm much more worried about a technical, eye's everywhere, financial
police state. Lots of us old guys have come back. I fear too many of the ones with money will just be happy to have their legal weed and not give jack
about how much it costs.

Also about the genetic marker, wouldn't necessarily have to be that, but who knows what they could do to mark it.

Don't know what ur on about mate .

Around here over the past few months weed prices have changed soo much .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is more of a regional topic, so I'm going to chuck it over to NASASDDASDS. Mods, feel free to chuck it back/ do whatever you see fit.

isStellaBlue I truly do not mean this to be condescending, its just my observation, but I think you are probably a bit too paranoid.

The government isn't just purely out to get you. The reasons marijuana was made illegal are centuries old.

Alcohol was once illegal, now its not, do you see the FBI inventing secret chemicals to put in alcohol so they can stop you from brewing your own beer? No, they don't give a shit 'cause they are already making billions of taxing it. Same with weed.

I see what your are saying, but imo it will never happen.

Also it depends on your circle and negotiations skills.

Kind of wonder why with all the MM around the street price of good reefer is not coming down, at least not here. (Idaho) You know that all the MM growers in
Cali, Oregon, Washington, Montana, if so inclined, can easily divert some of their crop to the underground markets. Even the smaller, scragglier buds not salable as MM would be easily salable underground. Really can't understand why there has been no increase in supply resulting in lower prices.
Any thoughts?
RJ

Local economic issues aside...

Your paying people for the risk they take, when they grow or sell it.

Drugs being an underground economy, you pay less for a product, and more for a service. The service of reliability, quality control and availability are what people "sell".

Why would MM growers divert their product to the illegal market? That increases risk, and likely is less profitable.

Growers do not want to have to grow more to sell for less to make the same amount of money.

Last edited:
its pretty cheap here in cali. i'd say over the past 3-4 years, i've seen the price go down an average no prices less than it used to cost.

Last edited by a moderator: