• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew some lowryder outdoor, fucking bullshit compared to some fatty Indica's.

Want some weaker weed? With less yield per square meter? Get something crossed with Ruderalis.

Give it five years and the genetics will become stronger in my opinion

the yield etc issues are null and void IF YOU ARE A GOOD GROWER.

3 lowryder #2 plants left to grow for longer than 60 days (about 80ish total) yielded 5 DRY ounces of super sticky, one hitter quitter bud.
grown under a 600w HPS in a DWC bucket hydro setup using organic nutes.

no big deal, jus sayin...

Yeah, you're wrong. I'm going to leave it at that though, because I've read your posts and you're one of the last people I'm going to argue with.

BTW, 5 x 28 = 140, 600watts x .5 (rough estimate of grams per wattfor an 'OK' grower) = 300grams. (And thats what an 'OK' grower should get)

YOU HAVE A SHITTY YEILD. :D

Last edited:
all i know is the bags were fat as fuck. i didnt consider it a shitty yield at all.
everyones different

i do not grow, nor have i ever grown, but personally, i think patience is something we should all employ, autoflowers from what ive heard, can't produce as much, or as good of quality as better genetics,

why take a short cut for faster growing weed? wait the time, take the patience, and grow something with award winning genetics, take time care and effort into your plants,

but yo thats just me

Well, as for feeding, been feeding with 6-4-4 ,1/3 tsp per 1/4 gallon. once weekly, with some micro nutrients 1/4 tsp., been keeping the water around 6.3-6.5.

temps are about 71-73, RH is 25%.
without lights temps get to about 59-63 degrees.

25% rh is way too low. 60-70% is usually ideal, although anything above 50% should be okay.

In the past I havnt used any type of mulch or compost to be honest, Im yet to really do a full on outdoor grow in ground. Next season i'll be doing this though. I plan to use some organic potting mix with mushroom compost, along with vermiculite for water retention/drainage and then adding pea straw, or sugar cane mulch on the top soil.

Might just add that the soil she is in is, well, crap. The potting mix is from an indoor mix and already had fertlisers in it. When I dug her into the ground, all I added was more of the same soil, and a few kilo's worth of Dynamic Lifter(which is a rich organic grandular fert) along with mixing in some of the soil that was already at the spot, which is mostly sandy. To show you what I mean when I say the soil is crap, it does not retain water at all. Im finding myself watering 3-6 litres every day when the temps hit around 30+ degress celcius because she dries out so quickly.

I dont have a compost bin going at the moment, it's kinda hard to get one set-up without attracting attention from the owners of the house. As far as they know, im not into horticulture, not the typical side to it anyway ;)

Im really dissapointed about this season, I had bigger and better plans but major things fell through and well, what can ya do about it :\ And yes it's just the one lady in those shots, I think she's about 4.5 months old now with roughly 8-9 weeks to go. She's showing more Sativa now as she starts to flower so I think she will turn into being mostly Sativa dominant by appearance, but I predict the smoke will be mostly couchlock as im 99% sure she's a Skunk 1 going by her apperance and growth patterns.

When you say mushroom compost, do you mean spent mushroom compost?

When I do a full outdoor grow I am seriously going to look into using the 'no dig' method, if I can either haul the necessary garden compost/leaf mould to the site or better yet, get a special compost bin that I can transport to the site itself and compost on location. I don't know if you've heard of this method but it increases yield in a big way because you're not destroying the structure of the soil and earth worms. I might even do this in my own garden if I don't just use containers and hydroponics.

I've had the problem you talk of, with soil not retaining water. Apart from using a mulch of something like leaf mould (which apparently, according to a study I read about the other day, can improve water retention by around 50%, funnily enough), could you not just add something like bark chips? They're really light in weight and would hold the moisture in since they slow evaporation to a crawl.

I'm thinking next grow which will be started soon in the greenhouse once it's fully constructed, instead of growing just from seed to harvest, which has major disadvantages, I'll probably just grow in a standard John Innes compost and as soon as the best plant grows large enough to be cloned, I'll take the cuttings and start growing them in my Amazon system and the NFT system I also will use, as well as growing a few in high quality organic compost mixes like Fertile Fibre or even a homemade mix.

Hey JS that is your best bet in keeping her alive, and it will work. You need to make sure when you first dig her out though that your digging very wide of her, and going very deep into the soil. The last thing you want to to is dig her out and rip out or dig into the main roots.

hi wise, some of the new shoots not the fan leaves are turning down can you tell me what this is pls, im not sure if its the ph ( im using rain water) or some thing else, also im going to turn her over to 12/12 at the wk end, so do i feed her with the feed im using then add the flowering nutes on the next feed or do i just water her then add nutes the following time, im going to use Canna terra flores which contains all that she needs until i add the pk 14/15 at the end, also can i remove some of the fan leaves nearer the bottom as, as you know she is a very bushy girl, thanks

hi wise, some of the new shoots not the fan leaves are turning down can you tell me what this is pls, im not sure if its the ph ( im using rain water) or some thing else, also im going to turn her over to 12/12 at the wk end, so do i feed her with the feed im using then add the flowering nutes on the next feed or do i just water her then add nutes the following time, im going to use Canna terra flores which contains all that she needs until i add the pk 14/15 at the end, also can i remove some of the fan leaves nearer the bottom as, as you know she is a very bushy girl, thanks

It's called clawed leaf, where the leaves look like claws and it's usually caused by over-watering or over feeding (a photo would help). I would allow the compost to dry out somewhat before watering (it's called a wet/dry cycle and is the correct way to water plants).

Use the flowering nutrients two weeks into flower or so. Look at the nutrient chart from Canna for a rough guide (however don't make the mistake of following it religiously).

I would cut the leaves off at the bottom for several reasons, one being that you want to avoid having popcorn bud down there that you can't smoke unless you use it for hash so that you're yield higher up is bigger.

I know you asked wise but I thought I could be of some help. Hope you don't mind.

3 lowryder #2 plants left to grow for longer than 60 days (about 80ish total) yielded 5 DRY ounces of super sticky, one hitter quitter bud.
grown under a 600w HPS in a DWC bucket hydro setup using organic nutes.

no big deal, jus sayin...

5 dry ounces is 141 grams. Considering the fact that I can yield over 600g with a 600W light and a non-auto strain, sometimes approaching 50% or more above that if the canna gods reward me and I veg long enough, I'd say that's a mediocre yield (certainly nothing to write home about).

And just out of interest, what organic nutrients are you using in a hydroponic system that don't go completely off?

It doesn't matter how much of a competent grower you are, if you're genetics are a limitation then they are a limitation. You cannot get blood out of a stone, as they say.

Last edited:
It's called clawed leaf, where the leaves look like claws and it's usually caused by over-watering or over feeding (a photo would help). I would allow the compost to dry out somewhat before watering (it's called a wet/dry cycle and is the correct way to water plants).

Use the flowering nutrients two weeks into flower or so. Look at the nutrient chart from Canna for a rough guide (however don't make the mistake of following it religiously).

I would cut the leaves off at the bottom for several reasons, one being that you want to avoid having popcorn bud down there that you can't smoke unless you use it for hash so that you're yield higher up is bigger.

I know you asked wise but I thought I could be of some help. Hope you don't mind.[/QUOTE

of course i dont mind AE, thanks for the advice i dont mind any one giving advice and helping me, so you think over feeding, do you mean to much water? As i only add feed once a wk, she is in a 8 galon pot and i gave her 5 ltrs of rain water yesterday, about 1 ltr came out into the run off pot she sits in that i removed, does 5 ltrs sound to much? Do you think this caused the
claw syndrome? As for pics wise has some and hopefully he will be able to put some up for me as i can not manage to do it my self, she is very bushy though, i have tied some of the arms down to allow more light to the lower and middle parts, but i think i need to remove mor its just im unsure which ones will be needed and which ones i can do away with, hopefully wise will be able to advise me on that,
as for the size of my cupboard for the extract fan we were on about yesterday it is 900mm wide, 400mm deep, and 2m 400 mm high, hope this helps with the size of fan i need,
thanks AE any input you make will all ways be greatly appreciated and that goes for every one on here, thanks to you all, your help and advice is invaluable =D

Well it could be either really. It's hard to tell without a picture.. When you water, do you make sure the soil is dry (when I say dry, I mean dry down to about a couple of inches at least, in that huge pot)? A huge pot like that will need watering less frequently, and if the humidity is high or something is preventing evaporation or transpiration, it could still theoretically be an issue with over-watering.

When you water, do it very gradually - don't just slosh it in. I would keep adding small amounts of water until you get just a little run off and the whole of the soil is uniformly wet.

As for removing branches, I wouldn't, unless you're topping it or removing the foliage at the very base up to a few inches up the stem.

Before I advise on the extraction, what light are you using? The size of the extraction should be related partly to the amount of heat the light gives off, not just the dimensions of the closet, so if you could give me that I might be able to help.

Well it could be either really. It's hard to tell without a picture.. When you water, do you make sure the soil is dry (when I say dry, I mean dry down to about a couple of inches at least, in that huge pot)? A huge pot like that will need watering less frequently, and if the humidity is high or something is preventing evaporation or transpiration, it could still theoretically be an issue with over-watering.

When you water, do it very gradually - don't just slosh it in. I would keep adding small amounts of water until you get just a little run off and the whole of the soil is uniformly wet.

As for removing branches, I wouldn't, unless you're topping it or removing the foliage at the very base up to a few inches up the stem.

Before I advise on the extraction, what light are you using? The size of the extraction should be related partly to the amount of heat the light gives off, not just the dimensions of the closet, so if you could give me that I might be able to help.

sure im using a 600 hps, i dont think i explained my self very well, im not meaning to take any branches off, just the leaves to make her less bushy, so more light gets to the middle and bottom:

I would use a 6" extraction fan with a flow rate of about 700-725m3/h which you can turn down with a fan controller (variac) and 6" fan for the intake with a flow rate of either the same or less, also controlled with a fan controller. Run the extraction either to the loft, or if you can, outside (like out the window).

I wouldn't start cutting branches off if I were you. If you want more light to get to the middle and bottom foliage at this point I would top it or supercrop it.

Last edited:
Guys,

I just received a nice looking Great Northern Lights X Big Bud clone. How would i go about planting it? The root system is in a cube shaped gel substance? Do i just submerge the cube under the soil? Or is there a specific way of doing it? Below is a picture of the clone.

NSFW:
Clone.jpg

Last edited:
Nice cutting Josh :)

Yeah just plant that cube into a decent potting mix and she'll be good to go :)

I assume there are actually roots coming through the rockwool, josh? It's hard to tell from the photo, but just in case there aren't, you should ideally root the cutting so that plenty of nice feeder roots are coming through the rockwool. If the roots haven't come through, keep irrigating it with pH 5.8-6 water.

Where is this gel substance you're referring to? I can't see any in the photo, but if it's in the hold made in the rockwool then I think that's probably rooting hormone gel.

But yeah, as Wise said, just plant it in soil if/when it's ready.

Nice cutting Josh :)

Yeah just plant that cube into a decent potting mix and she'll be good to go :)

hi wise, i have just been looking at my girl and she is looking much better today, the crow syndrome AE WAS TALKING ABOUT IS FADING AND MOST OF THEM ARE LOOKING GOOD SORRY LEFT CAPS ON, but i have just noticed a very small head poking through the soil it only ha a tiny leaf on it, is this a problem and should i remove it straight away or shall i just leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.