• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^'Tis the rule. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it.

^ No, it's okay. I really don't have a problem with it, as it's trivial. If it's the rule, then it's the rule. People are like guests on Bluelight so their rules are their rules, and need to be adhered to, whether they're irrational or not. I just wasn't aware of that rule as I thought it applied to drugs only. My bad.

Opinions on autoflowering marijuana

I was about to order some seeds, and was thinking about trying some of these autoflowering plants. Anyone one else have any experience with it

Here's a design for a heat sink that I'm going to install in my greenhouse. It can be adapted to use in a grow room/tent. Basically, it works by transferring the heat at the top of the greenhouse/grow area (because heat rises, the temp at the top will be quite a lot hotter than at the bottom) to a heat sink that stores heat well, such as a container holding broken glass, stones/pebbles painted matt black or even water if you use a heat exchanger available on Ebay. When the temperature goes down, such as at night, instead of taking heat from the top of the greenhouse, it starts to release the heat stored into the grow area, reducing the need for heating. The fan taking air from the top of the greenhouse will be powered by a solar panel that charges a lead acid type battery so that I won't need to power it from the mains. Here's the link to details of the greenhouse solar heat sink. To use it in a tent indoors, you would power the fan with the mains electricity. If you have two grow areas, you could bring in air from one area when the lights are on to heat the second area when the lights are off as well, to save power. I might also add that as well as heating during colder periods, it will also cool the grow area when the temperature gets too high and will condense water from the greenhouse air, acting as a sort of cheap dehumidifier when the air becomes too moist.

The bulk of the powered heating wil probably be fueled by a greenhouse propane heater, since it'll generally be cheaper than electricity. I have to make some calculations, but if the cost of heating the greenhouse with electricity is cheaper than heating with propane during the economy 7 hours at night (when there's less demand for electricity and it is cheaper on my electricity plan), then I'll switch to using an electric fan heater with a timer during this time.

Because the cost of electricity will sky rocket in the near future, we all have to start thinking of ways to save power. Growing in greenhouses and now powering strong HID lights is one main way of doing this. If you can get away with it, then by all means, do this. Alternatively guerilla growing is a great way of saving power, as Wise will agree.

greenhouse-heatsink-system.jpg

Another way of storing heat, which is one method I am considering, is by placing a few water butts painted matt black and filled with water. They will passively store heat from the sun/heater and release it at night. This is the more usual way of using a heat sink to heat the grow area when the temps drop.

I also plan to use horticultural fleece at night and/or possibly a 'thermal screen' which is a screen that is pulled out over the top of the plants, which effectively reduces the size of the growing area that is to be heated, which lowers heating costs by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Controversial issue. My opinion is that they can be useful for outdoor grows, since they need a lot of light and will give you a summer harvest which means you can avoid issues like bud rot in the autumn without having to force flower your plants which can be a pain in the arse since you have to black the area out twice a day every day. However, indoors I think they are a waste of time, as their yield is usually quite poor. Indoors you can control when your plants flower and height doesn't have to be an issue with training etc, so they are simply not needed in this situation. This is just a personal opinion and there will always be others who disagree, however I find experienced growers more often than not hold this view.

I personally am going to grow some autos outdoors this year, where they can get all the sun they need.

If you're running inside, with control over the light cycle, autoflowering plants will just yield less than a normal plant, and struggle to compete with the quality of the product that you can get from non-auto-flowering strains.

If you're running in situations where you don't have proper control over the lighting, go with autoflowering.

I find most people that go with autos indoors are in fact usually disappointed with their yields. If they get a lot of real sunlight then they can yield quite well.

Also practically you can't clone autos and you will therefore be dependent on buying expensive seeds rather than getting clones from a decent 'keeper' mother plant. This is a major drawback of autos as keeping a good mother plant and taking cuts is an important part of growing that everyone should ideally do.

Autos and to a lesser extent, feminised seeds, are more often than not purchased by newbies with little or no growing experience. This is why there is such a strong market for them. Diluting the cannabis genotype with ruderalis genetics is arguably a negative thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for making the new thread, Yerg. I told Prelude he could run the OP for the last grow thread because he was doing a majority of the grow logging and did a good job on the first post. Dunno if he is still interested in that or not though.

Yes, still interested,
Just been a bit hectic around here,
Another friend of mine was found dead, OD. Opiates/Benzos.
My Grandfather I live with had a heart attack and a bypass surgery.

Not to be a dick or a religious fanatic, but, I am in fact religious, and studied religion for 3 years, I find the title a bit offensive.
In what point does this thread have anything to do with religion,
Why take a book from the bible?If you're going to add in Christianity into the picture of growing weed then why not Hinduism? Or maybe some Islamic ideals from the Qur'an? Buddhism?
I understand that main stream religion & or any religion for that matter can be a joke a times, but I'd rather you not mock any religion, period.

As far as plants go, I ended up Getting my AK clone to survive, and it is showing the same problems my last plants had before I cut them down.
Plant is losing leaves quite rapidly.
They start to yellow with brown necrotic spots on the leaves. Top to bottom, not bottom to top.
Im wondering if this could possible be a fungus or just me fucking my plants up some how

NSFW:
AKCD.jpg

An there are no insects. None at all. Though I do have a rosemary plant in with my AK, just because I like to use rosemary to cook and I know many insects are repelled by the resins in the rosemary.

Last edited:
Foe those of you interested in landrace strains, and the whole concept of terroir- about how were a particular strain is grown and how it is grown effects the outcome this thread has a ton of info:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=458663

Alot of discussion of outdoor strains of old even acapulco Gold (which has supposedly been resurected by a seed comapny) and Matanuska Valley Thunderfuck, Panama Red Colombian, Hawaiina clasic strains, ect...

Other discussion looks at how all outdoor factors effect growth growth, like moon period. Well anyway, good read, especially from the second page on. If you guys can, please contribute. Anybody try Panama Red? or other classic landrace strains?

I had one...Now Ive got two..Well actually three, but the 3rd one has only two branches coming off the main stem :p, Looks hell dodgy.

NSFW:
DOpe.jpg

^ agreed. They look fine. What are those white things though? Mushrooms?

Has anyone heard of 'plantricity'? I'm thinking of experimenting with it on a cannabis plant! At first I thought it might be a hoax, but now that I've looked into it a bit more it looks legit.

As far as plants go, I ended up Getting my AK clone to survive, and it is showing the same problems my last plants had before I cut them down.
Plant is losing leaves quite rapidly.
They start to yellow with brown necrotic spots on the leaves. Top to bottom, not bottom to top.
Im wondering if this could possible be a fungus or just me fucking my plants up some how

Would you mind updating me on the basics of how you're taking care of your plants, like what feed you're using and how much? Then I might be able to help a bit more.

^ AE, Those white things are called rocks :p Haha i thought id give LST a go and i used the rocks with cooking whine to tie the plants down. :)

Last edited:
yeah I was def going for outdoor which is why I was looking into them, right now indoor couldn't be done. Thats pretty much what I thought when I was reading up was if you can do it indoor then just get some regular seeds since you can make it flower whenever you want if your controlling the sun lol

Would you mind updating me on the basics of how you're taking care of your plants, like what feed you're using and how much? Then I might be able to help a bit more.

hi AE glad your back on line, so can you give me a bit of advice, i re poted my girl last wk into a much goer pot its about a 8 galon pot, but it doesnt have any holes in the botom, shall i drill some small holes around the botom to let any excess drain out and into a tray or something to retain the excess?
There is about 30ltrs of soil in the pot, i ask because i think that my last try ( my first) my girl turned hermi on me, now i know some of the reasons it could have been as i have learnt from mistakes, but i think one factor was that i let her sit in the drain off water and probably caused root rot along with, over feeding, to many nutes, irregular times for light and dark, in fact im surprised she/he turned out as good as it did, any way that is my question shall i drill some holes , thanks

^ It is absolutely critical to drill holes in your pot. The more the better. Drainage is crucial to your roots success. DO IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.