• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Employment advice

Sadie

Bluelight Crew
Many of you have had problems with your employer and I have offered advice on a personal level via PM. I thought a thread might be more beneficial.

Whilst I may not be able to answer all your questions from immediate knowledge I am willing to find your answer as best I can and provide you with links.

I am aware that many of you may not be able to afford or do not wish to be a member of a trade union so, I am able to provide advice as best I can. No payment required. ;)

I have completed 2 years training. Courses with a trade union and employment law. I also have 4 years experience in offering advice and representation. To date I have only lost one case and was advised that the company did not follow procedure and recommended that the person in question take their case to a tribunal where they would have had a successful outcome.

If you have a question you don't wish to be public please feel free to PM me.

I am no longer employed therefore I am no longer linked or restrained by a trade union. Therefore I am not breaking any rules by offering free advice.

This thread will most likely die on its ass but I thought I'd put it out there just in case. I enjoy helping people and hate to see people suffer at work. No one should be made to feel bullied or suffer at work.

Thank you sadie.

This is a really generous offer for the use of your time. Getting good advice on employement issues can be tricky.

At some point i'm going to pm you as i'd love to get your opinion on something specific that the job centre were fairly clueless about.

Fire away MrM. It's not as though I'm busy at work ha ha. I'm currently trying to get through to CAB for another enquiry. Something I was certain I knew but cannot find a link to Direct.gov to support the information I was given during my Union training.

Hi Sadie,

I am 31 and was on methadone for 7 years. I managed to get off that last summer and have since been looking for a job (admin) which I used to do when I was a lot younger. I feel the most obvious problem is the huge 8 year gap in my CV. Any advice as to how I should approach this? It really is frustrating. Thanks.

That's a tricky one. You don't need to be totally honest with your CV as this is impossible to check for a period of absence.

Were you on JSA during this time? Do you have any documentation to support your period of Unemployment. I understand that due to the nature of this period you may wish not to disclose this information as this will be likely to hinder your chances of gaining employment.

Might I suggest that you state you were unemployed as you were caring for a loved one during this time? Do you have children? I explained a period of unemployment by taking care of my children during that time. I have also explained my recent period of unemployment by caring for a loved one.

Hope this helps.

thanks sadie, it's a fail situation I ust admit. I suppose lying is the only answer. I guessed as much. :\

I know, I don't particularly enjoy lying. Sometimes a white lie is the only way to get your foot in the door. Who you were then isn't who you are now. Sadly, most employers will not be willing to take that risk with you.

Best of luck. I too am looking for work in Admin and PA positions. The job market is really hard at the moment with appx 15-30 people applying per position. Its a difficult job market at the moment and having that on your CV will not benefit you in anyway. Sadly, Even a white lie explaining your absence will most likely hinder your chances.

I wish you the best of luck.

Do you really think admitting to prior drug issues (and making clear they have been dealt with completely) to a potential employer would be a huge issue, Sadie? I'm not in a position to be seeking work yet (or likely any time soon) but if/when I ever am there will be an immense gap in my non-existent CV (and little concrete details of the years I did work... some considerable time ago). As I said, not an immediate concern but have often wondered if it would even be feasible for me to think about work at some future date. Employment advisory-type folk have generally just made vague references to lil white lies but even massive black lies wouldn't magic me up a credible CV so just wondering what you might think :)

mate i would think that would be possibly the worst thing in mentioning drug issues. Think about it, most people would consider it as weakness, etc. the job market is an absolute bitch atm. Thay will always choose those with glowing references etc. what a time to get off vallies an juice.

You can just state you were ill. They have no right to ask what your illness was. They may out of curiosity but you don't have to inform them of the specific nature of you illness. It will still put others who have a full work history at an advantage but thats not to say you wouldn't get the job.

even that will cause raised eyebrows, or maybe I'm just glum about getting knocked back with every fing application I've sent off. Situation is utterly fail.

Don't worry. I only have small gaps in my employment and I'm being knocked back. I've got friends where this is their first gap and they are getting knocked back. The job market is in tatters at the moment. Its hard for everyone to get a job.

Hmm... even if I applied for work today there's a good 15 year gap since I last worked and I'm buggered if I can even remember the last job I worked at legally rather than whilst signing on (this was all a long time ago and defrauding the social is way better than robbing houses or mugging folk or the like, in my opinion, before the benefit cheat hysteria kicks off).

My thinking was along the lines of it being impossible to explain away in any remotely realistic way that wouldn't either come across as blatant bullshit or just make things worse so my usual approach of being totally upfront and honest about such things may be the best way as and when the situation arises. Previous employers have mostly been very understanding about the rampant drug addictions I had before being forced to stop work but I guess it all depends on the job and the interviewer. I seem to come over well in interviews cos I've always got every job I've ever applied for but has been ages since it was possible. About to venture back into the voluntary sector again so was toying with the possibilities of a "proper" job eventually.

Incidentally, I have several convictions for drug offences (and probably for shoplifting but think they were just cautions) and wondered what the score was in keeping shtum about such matters. Assuming it wasn't one of the jobs that are big on screening for criminal records, obviously... Not that I'd know what they were anyway, I suppose.

crb checks are the norm these days, man they didn't use to be i don't think. i remember hoe easy it used to be to get a job, makes me regret all the pissing around I did with all those lost opportunities.

Suspected as much. Ah well, guess it's for the best that I'm currently not allowed to work anyway (but sure I could convince the social to let me have a crack at it if I really wanted to have a go). Doesn't look overly optimistic really. Not with the total lack of jobs around at the moment anyway.

Will be looking into the voluntary work though - actually got a prescription for voluntary work from me doctor last week on some local (?) scheme would you believe :D - and that always looks good on a CV should it ever come up. Is also a very satisfying way to fill a lil time too.

Yeah, A lot of places do CRB checks. Nowt to be done about that I'm afraid.

Shammy, You could go along the lines of mental illness. They're not allowed to discriminate. Though they do, just unofficially. They're wangs that way.

I know some places specifically ask that you do not include dates in your CV. I recently applied to HSBC and they required that you remove all dates and any age you may have listed on your cv.

Times are getting tough when I'm wanting to work in a call centre. They're so overbearing in those places. Not really a happy environment IMO

Edit: Yeah shammy, JCP advise you to take voluntary work in the mean time to fill in gaps in your CV. If you were able to work voluntarily with a record you will have a better chance at getting a job. Be warned though, if memory serves me right if you're on JSA any work paid or unpaid over 16 hours means you do not qualify for your JSA payment. Don't hold me to that as I've not looked up the link to confirm it. I will do should someone ask me to but as of yet we're only speaking in theory anyway.

sorry mate, didn't mean to put a downer on it. volumteering sounds like a plan. like sadie says the job market is dead atm. Weird, cos there seem to be plenty of jobs popping up. You wouldn't believe the shittiest jobs I've been rejected for.

^ Hehe. You didn't put a downer on it - was just something I was half-thinking about due to the voluntary thing and seeing this thread was all. Not an immediate possibility really anyway - more just to get a general idea of what the score is with such things :)

Sadie: Mental health is probably the main "official" reason I've been signed off so long. Drug addiction itself is actually classed as a mental health issue so might be of use to Jimboid? In my case there were other mental health factors involved too but may be worth looking into for other folk with addiction gaps.

True, But you'd be better off for smaller gaps by claiming being a carer as that is more acceptable. Just saying. It's a personal choice how you explain it.

mad how when I was on the methadone I wasn't in the least bit preoccupied about getting work. The hours used to just float by. I know we're not owed anything but fuck it is killer these days - the boredom is such a bitch. thank god for bluelight and xbox live party chat - /i'd be lost without them.