• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Employment advice

Might I suggest that you state you were unemployed as you were caring for a loved one during this time? Do you have children? I explained a period of unemployment by taking care of my children during that time. I have also explained my recent period of unemployment by caring for a loved one.

Good shout. I explained a gap of over a year in my CV by saying my uncle had set up his own business abroad & I was helping him set up "all the IT stuff", luckily I didn't get questioned any further on this as I'd made it up on the spot lol.

BTW Sadie - Cheers for the offer of help with my job situation the other week, turned out that I didn't even need to go to the "YOU'RE FIRED" meeting because I went back to work a couple of days before. Job now secure again %)

Shambles - I'm sure you've got plenty you could write about. Think Irvine Welsh & Trainspotting but with more drugs lol.

Thats great news. And kudos on the saving up for your own place bit. You'll like it.

Good thread Sadie, and will be VERY helpful to a lot of people in what is currently a testing time, especially for the younger ones on here.

I've done interviewing and CV/application vetting a few times now and am quite happy to offer advice to anyone who is applying for a job and wants a second opinion.

May also proof read the application small print for anyone if I get the time to. Feel free to drop me a PM with any personal details left out and I'll reply if/when I can.

Good idea for a thread.

I spend my days offering employment advice and may also be able to help out anyone who's looking for work at the moment.

Firstly, I would like to add that the majority of CV's contain lies. When discussing this with clients I more often than not advise them that things can be tweaked and spun to suit their own truth. What im really trying to say is tell lies if you want. I personally would lie regarding gaps in employment.

There are a few posts on this thread regarding voluntary work and I would agree it enhances your employability. However, make sure the voluntary work is specifically related to the industry you are trying to find work in. It will provide you with both on the job experience and a good reference for applying for paid positions. I think someone mentioned a restriction on the number of hours you can work voluntarily whilst claiming JSA; this is not the case.

On the issue of CRB checks I would advise people with criminal convictions against applying for certain types of work. For example, in my experience financial services are particularly fussy about employing people with criminal records and do extensive background checks. Therefore dont waste your time and focus on other types of work. Having said that, each and every employer is different with their own HR policy.

Unfortunately I dont really know the labour market outside Glasgow, but HMRC are just about to recruit 1000's. I believe 140 posts will be available in Glasgow alone, with more posts in Dundee and East Kilbride. As for the rest of the UK; check the website.

I am also familiar with the proposed plan for the recruitment at HMRC and it would very much suit people who may have been unemployed for a long period of time or have little to no experience within call centre/admin work. The interview process I believe will be based on competencies and allows you to draw upon your experience outside of a working environment. Competency based interviews are in my opinion one of the easiest, since you can to an extent prepare answers beforehand.

Try and think of scenarios when you worked well as part of a team/delivered good customer service. Another key issue to consider would be the delivery and structure of your answer. Often you may hear of answering questions using the STAR technique, and I would suggest this is good method for delivering your answer.

Spend a bit of time researching some of these things beforehand and practice on someone. Sounds daft, but it really helps you develop a rhythm.

Hope some of this might have helped :)

Thanks for the post! A fecking good one at that.

It was me that had heard about the 16 hour rule. I'm new to JSA. As stated I would not advise anyone to take that as fact as I'd not researched it prior.

Thanks again on the heads up on the jobs coming to this area. I'll be checking that out.

I'm more the already employed side of advice but you seem to have a niche in the pre-employment stage. Very handy indeed!

I shall be calling upon your services in the future. It's the competency based interview I'm rubbish with.

Great idea for a thread Sadie - really worthwhile.

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to offer advice to anyone who is looking to get back into work or training in the London area, particularly those who are currently homeless and living in hostel or temporary accommodation.

I can also advise about getting work in social care and interview techniques for those sort of jobs. Social care organisations are generally sympathetic to people with previous problems as an understanding of these sorts of issues is really valuable. Caution still advised during application process though...

Homelessness, along with drug issues and employment gaps, can really cause a problem for people looking for work but there are still training opportunities out there - but they are rapidly drying up...

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread.

I spend my days offering employment advice and may also be able to help out anyone who's looking for work at the moment.

Firstly, I would like to add that the majority of CV's contain lies. When discussing this with clients I more often than not advise them that things can be tweaked and spun to suit their own truth. What im really trying to say is tell lies if you want. I personally would lie regarding gaps in employment.

There are a few posts on this thread regarding voluntary work and I would agree it enhances your employability. However, make sure the voluntary work is specifically related to the industry you are trying to find work in. It will provide you with both on the job experience and a good reference for applying for paid positions. I think someone mentioned a restriction on the number of hours you can work voluntarily whilst claiming JSA; this is not the case.

On the issue of CRB checks I would advise people with criminal convictions against applying for certain types of work. For example, in my experience financial services are particularly fussy about employing people with criminal records and do extensive background checks. Therefore dont waste your time and focus on other types of work. Having said that, each and every employer is different with their own HR policy.

Unfortunately I dont really know the labour market outside Glasgow, but HMRC are just about to recruit 1000's. I believe 140 posts will be available in Glasgow alone, with more posts in Dundee and East Kilbride. As for the rest of the UK; check the website.

I am also familiar with the proposed plan for the recruitment at HMRC and it would very much suit people who may have been unemployed for a long period of time or have little to no experience within call centre/admin work. The interview process I believe will be based on competencies and allows you to draw upon your experience outside of a working environment. Competency based interviews are in my opinion one of the easiest, since you can to an extent prepare answers beforehand.

Try and think of scenarios when you worked well as part of a team/delivered good customer service. Another key issue to consider would be the delivery and structure of your answer. Often you may hear of answering questions using the STAR technique, and I would suggest this is good method for delivering your answer.

Spend a bit of time researching some of these things beforehand and practice on someone. Sounds daft, but it really helps you develop a rhythm.

Hope some of this might have helped :)

Mate, what the hell can I do if I've been out of work for 7 year? I really want employment, but have no idea how to break through. I send out 6-10 applications for admin jobs in London every day and and getting rejected constantly. Really depressing. Such a gap in employment is causing real problems. Should I man up and fabricate a detailled list of non-existent jobs on my CV? Thanks.

Can you get in any legal trouble for lying on a CV, or is it just frowned upon?

Mate, what the hell can I do if I've been out of work for 7 year? I really want employment, but have no idea how to break through. I send out 6-10 applications for admin jobs in London every day and and getting rejected constantly. Really depressing. Such a gap in employment is causing real problems. Should I man up and fabricate a detailled list of non-existent jobs on my CV? Thanks.

You could always put 'references on request.'

That way if they're interested (and not yet put off) you get a second shot at impressing them beyond the CV/Cover letter as they'll have to phone or write to you to get what they want.

This then of course puts you right back into the 7 year gap problem, but there's simply no way to avoid that. If you make the right first impression you might find that they overlook your employment gap.

A lot of jobs go to people simply because their face/voice fits. A CV won't get you the job - it simply opens the door for you to impress via phone/face to face.

TLDR: Don't list (what can be considered to be) faults on your CV.

Jimboid1, you say you are applying for "admin roles". I am sure this field is "highly competitive", i.e. there are loads of people going for the same job. I wonder if it would help to do something to distinguish yourself, specifically to do some training, learn some skills which would make you stand out in terms of what you can offer a prospective employer. Given you have a large gap in your CV, you are not going to sell yourself on experience, but you could sell yourself on qualifications.

This may be idealistic, I have no idea how easy it would be for you to obtain training or some vocational experience (possibly through voluntary work) in some skill which would prove useful, but I am guessing that in the current market it is essential to offer something that makes you look different (in a positive sense) to other applicants, especially given the gap in your CV.

I imagine that if you have shown yourself to be willing and able to learn a new skill or two this could go a long way towards painting a gloss over your history.

I would be reluctant to tell lies to a prospective employer, personally. I think it shows character to recognise your faults and show you're able and willing to make changes in your life. I'm sure there are many recruiters who don't think/act that way though so I'm reluctant to make a strong case for telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I'm sure having something which sets you apart goes a long way to mitigate a chequered past, however.

I've been fortunate enough so far to have no problem finding work and I put this down to having sought-after skills, a lot of experience and a good manner at interviews. My CV is just a long list of things I did for different companies so I don't really need to work on it too much. In the absence of experience I think you need to focus on all three of skills, interview manner and a nicely presented, if short, CV. It also pays to tailor your CV to the specific job, focusing on the things you think the specific employer might find important for the particular role you're applying for.

Basically what I'm saying is you probably need to work on making yourself more attractive a recruit in reality rather than just making yourself seem to be more attractive on the bit of paper.

Also have you considered doing something other than admin work? I suppose there are more admin jobs advertised than others and it seems like an achievable goal for you, but there are other jobs which might be within your grasp. What about farm work, or restaurant/bar work? Forgive me if I'm being naive!

you're talking some real sense there, mate. Appreciated. I have decent academic qualifications and in those 7 years of non-work I have followed a lot of different courses ranging from psychology certificates to reflexology classes. I should really mention this more on my CV. Maybe emailing on the jobcentre website is not the answer. Perhaps phoning agencies would be better? Maybe I'm coming across as an undereducated thickie... ;)

Unreal thing happened today. Was wlking past me local garden centre and popped in on the off chance there was a job going. The guy hired me on the spot and I start tomorrow. Trial day tomorrow to see if I'm any good. Thanks for all the advice, guys, think I'll be honest on my CV with this one - the fella seemed nice. One question; I'm receiving housing benefit. Does anyone know how that will work if I'm employed? Do I still get it or what? Thanks.

I think they do housing benefit on a sliding scale. You'll have to pay some but not the full whack. Depends on what you're earning.

And Great news Jim! I'm so happy for you.

More doom and gloom in the media. Brought to you by my fav news source, the Independent.

Youth Unemployment Rates.

Funny, I'm no longer a youth, Where does that leave me and the other unwashed dolescum masses? EH?

I like the Independent as they are usually very unbiased. IMO. I'm sure there are those who would disagree. They point out the very obvious. Even the government are doing a mass cull. Where are these jobs meant to come from? It also states that the reality of the situation isn't going to go away any time soon. In fact, I feel it shall only get worse.

What a dire situation we're in at the moment.

Sorry for the shitty down beat news linky.

I shall be calling upon your services in the future. It's the competency based interview I'm rubbish with.

Sadie if you get an interview let me know and Id be happy to help as far as I can. You should also note the Glasgow vacancies close tomorrow for HMRC.

Unreal thing happened today. Was wlking past me local garden centre and popped in on the off chance there was a job going. The guy hired me on the spot and I start tomorrow. Trial day tomorrow to see if I'm any good. Thanks for all the advice, guys, think I'll be honest on my CV with this one - the fella seemed nice. One question; I'm receiving housing benefit. Does anyone know how that will work if I'm employed? Do I still get it or what? Thanks.

Congratulations! Thats excellent news!

If you have been claiming over 6 months you are entitiled to your first months housing benefit paid in full. Moreover, you are also entitled to £100 for starting work (I think, check with your JobCentre).

There are a few posts on here about training and Id agree with much of the advice given. Speak to your job centre as they run training for work courses. You will no doubt find that the training available reflects the type of work available in the local labour market. It might also be worth speaking to the various support centres in the area you live. There are numerous what I would describe as social and economic regeneration agencies across the UK. You can find out who they are through your local job centre.

In scotland you can also open an ILA account which gives you £200 to put towards the cost of training. Its not a great amount, but it can provide you with the funds to start a course and subsequently put on your CV. This is a good idea if you have been out of work for a period of time and your CV has nothing recent.

Also mentioned in this thread is the idea of looking at different types of work. If something isnt working out for you try something else. There are more jobs available in particular industries. Find out what those industries are in your area.

Thanks for the support Sadie. Hope tomoz goes well. Fuck it's been a while. Money will be a help though, assuming I'm accepted. ;)

Sadie if you get an interview let me know and Id be happy to help as far as I can. You should also note the Glasgow vacancies close tomorrow for HMRC.

Thank you for the offer of help. It will be much appreciated and taken up. I'm simply rubbish at them and can't seem to get my foot in the door.