Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How would you define Truth?

thesoundofmotion

Bluelighter
I feel like Truth is the absolute.

I feel like Truth can't be spoken with mere words, we just use words to try and tell the Truth but it obviously does not do it justice and adds to more confusion.

Truth can be everything that can't be said. It is everything that is but can hardly be defined through words although words are apart of it.

So all in all Everything that exists is Truth but it just hard to explain through mere words but maybe can be felt at times.

Provisionally:

Truth is NOT correspondence between description and phenomena. Rather, truths are conceptual tools which transform situations so as to expand the domain of human cooperative autonomy, also altering our views of situations so as to reveal the previously concealed, to establish 'intelligiblity'. I think that this even applies to our interaction with non-human nature.

ebola

ebola

Truth = everything changes - relative truth = everything else.

The Truth = The LOGOS
The truth = A complex concept of epistemology, the discussion of which can be interesting, until after years of personal investigation, can cause one to wince.

I agree -- "truth" can't be defined.

One could say that there are no verbal truths -- the mind is entirely relative, based on relative words and concepts.

Just about every word and concept has its opposite -- even if it's merely the nonexistence of that concept (e.g. polarity, non-polarity).

And so what is the absolute, what is the absolute truth?

To say it in words is immediately to put the lie to it, to make it relative, but it can be said...

"This consciousness/awareness here is all that exists (to itself) --

and so, I am the truth,

with the rider that this I AM applies for everyone, everywhere".

In other words, everyone is God (sounds stupid, eh? :p).

Truth = something that is true.

IE my username on bluelight is rickolasnice.. We live on the planet Earth.. Etc.. etc..

this moment is the truth

If this moment turns out to be just a dream, would it still be the truth?

I think it all depends on whether we consider truth to be objective or subjective. Objective truth can be summed up with the good old X-Files quote "the truth is out there." If this moment is just a dream, then it wouldn't actually be the real truth. Subjective truth is something an individual experiences and believes in, no matter if it has any real objective existence or not. If this moment is a dream, it is still true because that's what we believed at the time.

^ if its just a dream then that is part of the truth of this moment.. the truth needs no believers, its the truth no matter what

So all in all Everything that exists is Truth but it just hard to explain through mere words but maybe can be felt at times.

I believe this is along the lines. To me, your everything can be the same as my nothing. In a sense, these can be exactly the same, even though they mean different things to both of us. Depending on who's looking at it, everything can exist to anyone and nothing can exist to anyone. My answer to you're question, absolute or objective truth would be subjective truth.

Then the only truth is that there is no truth

And the only thing false is that there is nothing false ;)

Paradoxes, its like candy for the brain 8o

Makes my brain go round and round...

Neither seems plausible.

ebola

There was an interesting discussion on 'What are some examples of objectively true statements' LINK

Which ended inconclusively a couple of weeks back. It certainly seemed that subjective truth was more attainable than objective truth.

Subjective truth

"I perceive" or "I apperceive"

Objective truth

"7 is prime"

I am sure there are more subjective truths, but objective truths are open to criticism. The above objective example requires a Platonic posture.

One could also argue that logical tautologies are objective truths. Beyond these I would fear to tread.8o

There was an interesting discussion on 'What are some examples of objectively true statements' LINK

Which ended inconclusively a couple of weeks back. It certainly seemed that subjective truth was more attainable than objective truth.

Subjective truth

"I perceive" or "I apperceive"

Objective truth

"7 is prime"

I am sure there are more subjective truths, but objective truths are open to criticism. The above objective example requires a Platonic posture.

One could also argue that logical tautologies are objective truths. Beyond these I would fear to tread.8o

I know because I started that thread. I should of maybe bumped it instead of starting this one although they are different questions.

I've yet to discover if there really is truth in this world beyond the word itself.