• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using Suboxone for 3 day detox

The Eleven

Greenlighter
Hey all, I have been constantly searching this site for information on short term suboxone detox ( and when i mean short term I am talking 1-4 days, not 15-20) i have one 8mg sub, and am planning on taking it for the first few days of withdrawl
Day One: 3mg
Day Two: 2mg
Day three: 1.5 mg
Day 4: i mg
Day 5: some benzo's,headies and exercise (hardcore, sweating it out is my modus operendi (sp) (have 1 mg left over, and some clonidine)
so i know from quitting cold turkey the worst of he w/d is over in 5 days, and i am pretty sure that you cannot become dependent on suboxone with just one 8mg pill. So I am wondering what will my w/d be like in intensity after day 4 or 5. Will the sub's get me through the hard part, or will my H w/d just resume after i finish taking the subs. I was also thinking of possibly just using the subs till day 3, and then use clonidine as needed. I do not want to be on subs for over 5 days because it screws with my libido, and my favorite part of W/D cold turkey is the extreme increase in sexual excitement and horniness, i find sub's act like dope in this aspect. So what will i expect from this super short detox. P.S.- I am not afraid to be uncomfortable as i believe this is what i deserve for being soo blissful soo long. I do not expect painless W/D or want it (because i want to remember how bad it was), yet cant completely go cold turkey because of school/work/gf/ and family.

Thank you.

Hi Eleven, while I have no personal experience with opiate withdrawals, I think your short-term taper sounds like a good plan, if that really is all you've got access to do at this point in time. All you can do is give it a try and do your best.

Does your girlfriend know about your opiate usage?

so i know from quitting cold turkey the worst of he w/d is over in 5 days, and i am pretty sure that you cannot become dependent on suboxone with just one 8mg pill. So I am wondering what will my w/d be like in intensity after day 4 or 5. Will the sub's get me through the hard part, or will my H w/d just resume after i finish taking the subs. I was also thinking of possibly just using the subs till day 3, and then use clonidine as needed. I do not want to be on subs for over 5 days because it screws with my libido, and my favorite part of W/D cold turkey is the extreme increase in sexual excitement and horniness, i find sub's act like dope in this aspect. So what will i expect from this super short detox. P.S.- I am not afraid to be uncomfortable as i believe this is what i deserve for being soo blissful soo long. I do not expect painless W/D or want it (because i want to remember how bad it was), yet cant completely go cold turkey because of school/work/gf/ and family.

Thank you.

I'm not a expert on the situation or nothing but if you just use subs for 3 or 4 days when you stop taking it you will be in withdrawl. Your withdrawl definitely wont be gone by the 5th day because when your on subs you wont have the classic withdrawl symptoms you just might not feel "right" but you wont be shivering, sweating, shittin and all that, but while you may not become addicted to subs off 1 pill you will be in some shitty withdrawl when you stop taking them because from my experience 1mg is a pretty high dose to come off of. A lot of people do a longer taper and get down to like .02mg.

I don't know if you already located the thread and just didn't find the answer your looking for but search "bupe mega thread" there's like 10 different versions but here's the link to the first.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=333166

If your options are a 3 day sub taper or cold turkey I'd take the sub personally, but it is far from an ideal taper

5-7 day detox

I just got a hold of one 8mg Suboxone strip today after months of searching for the sole purpose of a short term detox. I have been planning on doing a short term taper along with an exercise regimen for months but never could get my hands on the sub. Low and behold I got a free treadmill, a free exercise bike, and a not free sub within 24hours. Sounds like fate is telling me to get off the dope. I think that you have a great plan. For me exercise makes all the difference with any withdrawal. You get the endorphins going, you metabolize whatever junk is left in your system faster, and you replace the time you spent on your addiction. Marijuana helps withdrawal symptoms for me and does a damn good job. With the exception of the lack of energy. (Makes it worse obviously.) I think you've got a great plan because its the same one I've got. What else we gonna do? Stay on the dope forever? No thanks.

This is my first post on bluelight but I have been reading the forums for years now as I've fought my addiction. Gonna post a thread about my situation after this and hopefully get some more good advice and support.

Welcome to the posting world on bluelight. It's nice to see someone "new" around. Keep us updated.

I agree about your take on cannabis for withdrawals. Depends on the strain really, and you know this. Medical marijuana is a gift from God in California.

Just don't end up replacing your opiates with your w/d drugs like benzos and weed... I honestly think if you would it could be a slippery slope sending you straight back to your habit. Withdrawing is one thing, staying clean is another....you're going to need to treat yourself with support and I think therapy and groups could be of help.

When I was in rehab, this April of 2012, the clinical staff attempted a different kind of suboxone detox with me...it took 3 days and worked better then any detox I've ever gone through... if anyone is looking for a better way to quicker way then please contact me.... I'm not a doctor I'm not telling you what you should and shouldnt do...I just wanna let you know what I went through and if you determine that you'd like to try it yourself based on my experience then that is entirely up to you

@babymonroe -- what method did they use? No one can contact you through PM since you aren't a Bluelighter yet, but you might help a few people out a lot by sharing in this thread. :) I'm curious to know what they did that was different than the usual anyway, I love hearing about alternative methods that actually work lol

please help.

I am a single mother and have been taking hydrocodone everyday for about a year. I started with about 20mg a day and until two days ago, was taking up to 100mg a day. The main reason I took them was to give me energy n motivation... This is night #2 for me.. the last day of use I only used 10mg so I feel like I'm n day 3.. today I came across 2 8mg subs.. I had to get them. I work as a telephone operator 8am-4pm and have. Toddler to care for and these last ce of days have been absolutely miserable. I took about ut 9 hours ago.. was too much because I felt fuckd up and sick to my stomach I threw up but the withdrawal subsided almost immediatley.. pls advise.. this is my third attempt and I'm starting to lose hope I am becoming very surprised am scared.. nobody else world knows about this problem except you now.. I have never reached out to anyone or any sortof resource about this.. I have done alot of research my own but have never admitted the problem to anyone until right now. It is 3 o'clothe morning and I have to be up in 3 hours I am starting to feel my body heat rising against my bed but I am going to try to hold out until the morning for the sub.. I am in my twenties and lost my father who was 55 to cancer exactly the time that started my addiction.. Main concern is when the withdraw is over how will I go back to living a normal life eve ever again o or motivation

Babymonroe i would really appreciate any help u can giv me about your 3 day taper with sub. Please help. I would truely appreciate it. Thank u

Hey readysetgo and Overnover, if you can get your hands on 1-2 strips of suboxone it will significantly help you through the acute stage of your withdrawal. Many times I've detoxed off of moderate heroin habits using just two suboxone strips. Start by placing 2mgs under your tongue, and if you don't feel relief within an hour and a half take another mg. Also, be sure to wait 24 hours from your last opiate dose, as using suboxone within the first day of withdrawal can cause the opiates to detach from your mu receptor at a rapid and unnatural rate and you will experience acute withdrawal syndrome - an ungodly sensation.

I always advocate for short term (3-5 day) suboxone tapers. I think it is rare that people need to go on maintenance.

Edit: although, for a hydrocodone detox you may still feel some w/d symptoms, as these w/d's last longer than heroin w/d :\

A short reply.
Spent 6 months on methadone once. Switched to suboxone after 3 days off methadone. Was then on 6mg subs for a couple of months, then 4 for a month, then 2 for a month, then 2mg every second day for 2 weeks.

Had no problems jumping off then. I've read many posts about really slow tapers and nightmare long widthdrawal from suboxone but I found the process really easy.

Like most things, different drugs effect different people differently but I lost 20 kgs in 3 months during the switch and cessation of methadone to suboxone and then getting off that.

Like most drugs, I reckon the longer your on them the more severe the widthdrawal.

It's keeping off opioids for the long haul that's the hard part.

If the op can do a short sub taper and get off I say do it. If staying off is a problem maybe try the suboxone program for 3 months and repeat process. Just be weary that dr's majorly over prescribe subs. 4mg/ day is heaps. Don't let them put you on 32, 24 or anything the like. If you do some basic googling you'll conclude that less is more and 2-8mg will easily hold most people.
Good luck

This is an old thread but the information is still useful. The easiest detoxes that l ever had were with one or two subs...it gets you through the worst of the acute stage and you are not taking enough of the suboxone or for a long enough time for it to be an issue to come off of. I mean you are not going to feel perfect, but two subs are the difference between being able to function and feeling like you're dying!

please email me and let me know your story b/c i'll be taking my last 1 pill tomorrow and starting the sub detox but only wanna use for 3 days to not have the w/d. or can you post and let me know how to use the sub b/c i'm using it without a dr on my own. I have 3 8mg sub but don't think i need to use that many. I/m taking 2 60 mg ocycotin per day plus 4 norco 10 and wanna get off this shit so i got some sub b/c i heard they help not have the w/d but not to use for a long period of time this post is for anyone that can help but mainly the person who posted about there rehab visit and only needing 3 days

I cold turkey'ed my suboxone and well now im using again shit life sucks...

Just want to say there is no shame in using Suboxone. You also do not have to stay on it for life. I was on it for about a year or so. It really helped. I did relapse, but not with opiates and that was because I tried to prove to myself I could control "a few drinks". That obviously did not work, but I still am glad I went on Sub because I have a good year of clean time to draw on now.

I tapered off slowly over the course of about eight months. Once I jumped off I had a few sleepless nights and about two days of anxiety. Nothing serious.

Last edited:
When I was in rehab, this April of 2012, the clinical staff attempted a different kind of suboxone detox with me...it took 3 days and worked better then any detox I've ever gone through... if anyone is looking for a better way to quicker way then please contact me.... I'm not a doctor I'm not telling you what you should and shouldnt do...I just wanna let you know what I went through and if you determine that you'd like to try it yourself based on my experience then that is entirely up to you

How did you detox on subs