• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using Suboxone for 3 day detox

I have followed this entire post, & so far it's working for me. I started this on Tuesday & just took the 2 mg to help out so I still felt some WD. Yesterday I made it through with 1 MG. & today as well with 1Mg. In doing this I still have some WD but I don't want to go beyond 5 or 6 days on the SUB. I know my last dose of OXY on Monday at 4:00 should just be out of my system. And I know when I jump off the Sub on Saturday I will still have some WD, but it shouldn't be as bad as cold turkey. I don't believe the subs is prolonging the WD, I actually believe it's wasting it out of my system.

I don't think we are messing up by doing this. I have read many other stories where people used it only for the 3 days & no more & was fine. We still will have some WD but not near as bad as it would have been without the SUB.

I don't think we are messing up by doing this. I have read many other stories where people used it only for the 3 days & no more & was fine. We still will have some WD but not near as bad as it would have been without the SUB.

Precisely.

Toothpastedog i did .5 today and will do .25 tomorrow. Should that be ok. I have a script for the subutext so i can go longer if need be. I have been on subs 8 days now and i took .25 in am and .25 pm when i started feeling shitty again
But like i said should i go to .25 tomorrow. Just trying to do this the right way with out going back into hard wd.

hold on tight, dont put math to your withdrawal until about day 2. everyones brain chem is different. you may need 4mg of bupreonorphine, or 24 umgs. but, cold turkey works. your only issue after that. is relapse. good luck !

hold on tight, dont put math to your withdrawal until about day 2. everyones brain chem is different. you may need 4mg of bupreonorphine, or 24 umgs. but, cold turkey works. your only issue after that. is relapse. good luck !

Not sure what you mean by "dont put math to your withdrawal until day 2. Im on day 8 of my sub detox and got down to .5. Toothpastedog said to go down to the smallest amount possible over the next day or two and than go off. I get everyone is different but im just trying to stay on the subs as short as possible so as to not go into hard wd. I have gone ct on a bad h habbit about 2 years ago and than i have done ct after that for a norco habbit and it was terrible i ended up in the hospital when i went ct from h. And just was in bed for days after the norco ct. I think the h habbit has just made wd so much worse everytime i come off anything. This is the 1st time im trying the subs so i just wanted to go a very short time as possible since im coming of norcos this time. Just trying to make ot so i dont have to miss anymore school. And i cant taper off norcos one cause i take them all and two i dont have them anymore. And since i already started the subs i just want do it right and not make things worse. I am so done with everything and just want my life back. Even thinking about taking a norco makes me sick. And i dont even want the to take the subs but i keep getting wd bad so i had to do something. Any help you can give would be great. Oh and this time i was taking 20 to 25 norcos and it would barley effect me. It was so hard to keep myself even at 25 cause I would start wding in the middle of the night and try not to take more until the morning. And was worried i was going to go back to h if i did not do something to stop this now.

You are going to feel shitty when you stop taking the buprenorphine, to one degree or another, it is just the nature of the game. Gotta pay the piper sooner or later. But it could be so, so, so much worse had you not had access to buprenorphine.

Keep your head up and keep up the good work sean!

Can someone please advise whether taking 1/4 - 1/2 mg suboxone before you're in full withdrawal trigger precipitated wd?

I can't seem to wait until I'm in full blown wd to start

I'm not an expert but from what I've read you need to be in withdrawals. It also depends if you were on a short or long acting opioid. If you were on methadone you need to wait much longer. I've read 36 hours or more. Short-acting opioids could be as little as 24 hours or more. There is What's called the cows scale you can look up on the internet and be honest when answering the questions each question of point value. However I have read different information on what score you need to be at. You definitely want to be exhibiting symptoms of withdrawal such as watering eyes yawning sneezing extreme restlessness not being able to sit still dilated pupils elevated blood pressure. My first attempt at using buprenorphine I was on a short-acting opioid hydrocodone and just to be sure I waited 37 hours until I was in pretty crappy withdrawals already had yawning sneezing tearing runny nose extra extra anxiety and restless legs when I try to sleep.

My doctor said that for a short-acting opioid I didn't need to torture myself that long and could have taken it 24 hours after my last dose. But I had never taken it before and wanted to make absolutely sure I didn't go into precipitated withdrawals. I assume you know that's what will happen if you take it before you have enough withdrawal symptoms.

But everybody is different. Hope this helps

37seanm, How are you doing with the buprenorphine taper? I still haven't made up my mind whether or not to do a slow taper still or try to buprenorphine for a week in a very low dose obviously do to my low-dose of hydrocodone. Tapering has been really crappy I'm still at 40 milligrams. I just want off this stuff as soon as possible. Let me know how things are going with you.

37seanm, How are you doing with the buprenorphine taper? I still haven't made up my mind whether or not to do a slow taper still or try to buprenorphine for a week in a very low dose obviously do to my low-dose of hydrocodone. Tapering has been really crappy I'm still at 40 milligrams. I just want off this stuff as soon as possible. Let me know how things are going with you.
I got down to .25 and i am going off tomorrow. Total time on subs is 20 days. Not sure what to expect but i dont want to be on the subs any longer. So afraid to get addicted to the subs. I felt ok for the most part the whole time. Not great but way better than when i went ct. Just hopefully i made it past getting the horrible ct wd. We will see over the next few days or so. Praying that i did not make things worse by using the subs. Or if the subs at worst just stopped the norco wd and now those will start. But we will see. At this point just freaking out about how im going to feel in a few days. And as for you getting on them i would still say just taper with your hydros butin a few days if im ok than i will be able to tell you how i feel. I would have down the hydro taper if i could have but i did not have any more and needed something. So we will see what happened. And the way i tapered off norcos before was giving them to my sister and she would not give me more than what i was supposed to have for that day. Yes it was hard but better than ct i would say. But it does take a lot longer than ct. But i did that over a 2 week period and than stopped. I still had wd but no where near as bad as ct. If you are going to just keep tapering on your hydros i would say get help from someone close to you. Thats the best way to do it. It forces you to wean off no matter what. And everytime you can go longer without hydros your moving forward even if its just a few hours at time. Just dont go backwards. Keep me up on how you are doing and i will do the same. Stay strong and tell yourself you have to do this.

I will and thanks for your reply. Hopefully 20 Days on the Bup wasn't too long. I also read that skipping days towards the end of bube taper has been advised. And only take very small amount like .125 mg. Or even a really tiny piece as small as you can measure it will help you taper off.

From what both of you and I have read from this forum the worst of the hydro withdrawals should be gone.

As you might have seen of my prior posts I'm still wrestling with the idea of going on a very small dose of Bupe 4 a short period also. I'm still at 40 I had dropped down to 35 a few days late last week butt started having muscle and bone pain aching in my legs which was very tough to deal with for sleeping. Tylenol doesn't help. Took a muscle relaxer last night orphenadrine and it finally settled the muscle and bone pain down least to the point where I could sleep.

Did taper down from 70 to 40 not necessarily quickly but I reduced my dose to taking what's called time release so Hydro. It's a 12 hour hydrocodone with no acetaminophen in it. And then throughout the day would take 2 10 milligram doses of regular Norco and then I cut that down to 1 10 mg and two 5 mg doses. And1 Zohydro 20 milligram first thing in the morning making a total of 40 . The Zohydro I have are 20 milligrams now. When I started to taper I had 30 milligrams in the Zohydro. My body was used to bigger jolts I would usually take 30 or 40 milligrams of hydro twice a day so even at first even though I only cut down 10 milligrams a day I stopped taking the larger dosages which obviously was a big adjustment there initially.

It's still mentally rough for me too I'm under a lot of pressure from my therapist and psychiatrist to get off of these Norcos ASAP.

I just know right now mentally I can't handle any severe withdrawals.

Also making myself extra crazy with the anxiety trying to figure out what to do. I have suffered with severe anxiety for the past two and a half years and basically when I was on the Norcos it took away most of that anxiety just masked it didn't cure the underlying problem obviously. so now taking less of the Norcos is allowed my original extreme anxiety to resurface. And also of course as I build tolerance up to it, it didn't help with the anxiety is much unless I took a big dose.

I don't need it anymore thank God for my chronic pancreatitis flare up that I had several years ago which is why I initially got it prescribed. But then back in February I hurt my back and rarely had to take it for the pancreatitis but took it regularly for my back just to get through work every damn day I had a job of standing and walking and lifting.

Therapist says as soon as I'm off of this stuff then my anxiety problems can be addressed properly and he's right that's why I'm so stressed about getting off these soon as possible. Right now I'm inclined towards making another appointment with my psychiatrist to talk to him about how to deal with the anxiety and give me more time to taper down slowly. But on the other hand I want off them as soon as possible to.

Thanks again for listening and replying and keeping me updated on how you're doing I really don't have anybody other than my sister to really talk to about this problem. I do talk to my mother about it but I don't make it out to be as bad as it is so she doesn't worry too much.

Once again hoping the best for you keep me posted on how it turns out.

I only did subs for 10 days not 20. And when your tapering of norcos you will have pain. But when you are tapering off you are trying to just keep the hard core wd away. Like throwing up amd cant get out of bed wd. But pain is going to happen. We all got put on norcos or doc for pain so mostly in less you fixed the problem you had that put you on the norcos all of that will return. So either we have to live with that pain or stay on a pain med. Pain meds are just not an optionfor me anymore. I just cant live that way anymore and i cant control myself on them. So im choosing to get off them and deal with my injuries and pain in a different way if i can. So if you are still going to be in so much pain that you can not function than you may need to stay on the norcos. But if you can live with the pain without pain meds than you are just going to have to push through it until you get off. You cant let the pain be the reason you stop tapering. Only thing that should slow your taper is if you start going into hard wds. But if its wd pain than you just have to keep pushing but if its pervious injury pain thats coming back than you have to make a choice if you can live with it without meds or you will have to stay on them and try to take them correctly. You are down to 40mg of norco and that is perscribed dose for some. But ya it sucks cause you feel like your whole life revolves around a bottle of pills. I just hope you can live with pain so that way you can keep getting clean. I have been clean before and i am so much happier when i am so i want that back. If i did not have to jave surgery again i would have never would have got back on norcos. But either way adiction is adiction for me and i cant stay on something the right way that im adicted to. Just does not work for me. Just hope all that i have done with these subs is a good thing. I guess even if it was not at least i am trying to get clean so thats a step in the right direction. We will see. I'll keep you posted

I'm not an expert but from what I've read you need to be in withdrawals. It also depends if you were on a short or long acting opioid. If you were on methadone you need to wait much longer. I've read 36 hours or more. Short-acting opioids could be as little as 24 hours or more. There is What's called the cows scale you can look up on the internet and be honest when answering the questions each question of point value. However I have read different information on what score you need to be at. You definitely want to be exhibiting symptoms of withdrawal such as watering eyes yawning sneezing extreme restlessness not being able to sit still dilated pupils elevated blood pressure. My first attempt at using buprenorphine I was on a short-acting opioid hydrocodone and just to be sure I waited 37 hours until I was in pretty crappy withdrawals already had yawning sneezing tearing runny nose extra extra anxiety and restless legs when I try to sleep.

My doctor said that for a short-acting opioid I didn't need to torture myself that long and could have taken it 24 hours after my last dose. But I had never taken it before and wanted to make absolutely sure I didn't go into precipitated withdrawals. I assume you know that's what will happen if you take it before you have enough withdrawal symptoms.

But everybody is different. Hope this helps

This info is right-on-the-money-correct. I was able to use buprenorphine 12hrs after using shorter acting opioids like hydrocodone, oxycodone or heroin at one point, but I didn't have a big habit at that time at all. Later I'd have to wait more like 24hrs as I had more dope in my system because I had a crazier tolerance. With longer acting full agonists like methadone I'd have to wait 48+ hours.

This info is right-on-the-money-correct. I was able to use buprenorphine 12hrs after using shorter acting opioids like hydrocodone, oxycodone or heroin at one point, but I didn't have a big habit at that time at all. Later I'd have to wait more like 24hrs as I had more dope in my system because I had a crazier tolerance. With longer acting full agonists like methadone I'd have to wait 48+ hours.
tootpastedog. What's your opinion on me using buprenorphine in a low dose for a week or so to come off this hydrocodone. I've taper down from 70 to 40 milligrams with great difficulty. Was taking 70mg about 9 or 10 months. 40 milligrams a day about three or 4 months prior to that. I probably have enough to continue tapering at a slow rate, thinking a month so I won't have much if any withdrawals.

I also want to get off of them as soon as possible and my doctor wants me off ASAP. My other issue is suffering from extreme anxiety and depression that's why the doctor wants me off of them so he can treat me for that. From what I've read seems like Overkill to use bup for only 40 milligrams hydrocodone. ??? From what I've read the dose of .5 milligrams would cover the withdrawals. I tried it several weeks ago and my my already extremely high anxiety got even worse. Ended up having a total panic attack . I stopped using the buprenorphine and went back to the hydrocodone . Some of it was probably due to never taking this stuff before added on top of my already extremely high anxiety which the Norco actually helps . Actually briefly 6 months ago the doctor had given me some oxycodone and even though it was Stronger I never noticed that helping my anxiety like the hydrocodone did for some reason. And also anxiety has gotten really high over not working and having other problems Big Time Financial issues house going into foreclosure possibly you get the picture. .

When I tried the buprenorphine the first time was still doing about 50 milligrams of hydrocodone the day. I took one milligram the first day and was quite buzzed then about three-quarters the next couple days . 4th day my anxiety was so high I had the panic attack . I've tried to find dosing equivalency charts but they seem to be inconsistent. I have an appointment to see my doctor again on Monday talk everything over with him again. To see if he'll try to work with me. If I just want to try to taper off and come up with a plan from him to help with the anxiety. My therapist says getting off the Norcos ASAP will get me closer to be able to treat and help my anxiety. Also been on benzos for a year-and-a-half Klonopin mostly some Xanax here and there also . currently taking 3 milligrams Klonopin a day sometimes only two. That dose of Klonopin doesn't even help my anxiety just keeps me from going through withdrawal from it. Let me know what you think thanks.

tootpastedog. What's your opinion on me using buprenorphine in a low dose for a week or so to come off this hydrocodone. I've taper down from 70 to 40 milligrams with great difficulty. Was taking 70mg about 9 or 10 months. 40 milligrams a day about three or 4 months prior to that. I probably have enough to continue tapering at a slow rate, thinking a month so I won't have much if any withdrawals.

I also want to get off of them as soon as possible and my doctor wants me off ASAP. My other issue is suffering from extreme anxiety and depression that's why the doctor wants me off of them so he can treat me for that. From what I've read seems like Overkill to use bup for only 40 milligrams hydrocodone. ??? From what I've read the dose of .5 milligrams would cover the withdrawals. I tried it several weeks ago and my my already extremely high anxiety got even worse. Ended up having a total panic attack . I stopped using the buprenorphine and went back to the hydrocodone . Some of it was probably due to never taking this stuff before added on top of my already extremely high anxiety which the Norco actually helps . Actually briefly 6 months ago the doctor had given me some oxycodone and even though it was Stronger I never noticed that helping my anxiety like the hydrocodone did for some reason. And also anxiety has gotten really high over not working and having other problems Big Time Financial issues house going into foreclosure possibly you get the picture. .

When I tried the buprenorphine the first time was still doing about 50 milligrams of hydrocodone the day. I took one milligram the first day and was quite buzzed then about three-quarters the next couple days . 4th day my anxiety was so high I had the panic attack . I've tried to find dosing equivalency charts but they seem to be inconsistent. I have an appointment to see my doctor again on Monday talk everything over with him again. To see if he'll try to work with me. If I just want to try to taper off and come up with a plan from him to help with the anxiety. My therapist says getting off the Norcos ASAP will get me closer to be able to treat and help my anxiety. Also been on benzos for a year-and-a-half Klonopin mostly some Xanax here and there also . currently taking 3 milligrams Klonopin a day sometimes only two. That dose of Klonopin doesn't even help my anxiety just keeps me from going through withdrawal from it. Let me know what you think thanks.

Meant to say earlier in the post was still doing 50 milligrams per day when I first tried the buprenorphine

Meant to say earlier in the post was still doing 50 milligrams per day when I first tried the buprenorphine
So im on day six know subs. So to give you an idea of what going on with me so you can have an idea of what it did to me. Now remember i have abused pills for like 4years than h for a year ct from that and was clean about a year and had to have surgery and abused pills again for a year at about 200mg to 250mg at the end. So i went on to subs at that level of hydros. 2 mg subs seemed way to high. I immediately dropped to .5 and that seemed to hold me pretty good. I did .5 for a few days and than .25 than started skipping days and than nothink. Total time taking subs was 12 days. Anxiety was an issue on the subs and the first few days when i stopped. Nothing i could not get through but i have never had an anxiety problem before. Not even when i got clean before so maybe because i got clean and than abused again that is something that just got worse or maybe it was the sub. I cant say. But either way it was there. So far it has got better and better very slowly every day. My physical symptoms have been hot and cold and uncontrollably sweating everytime i can sleep and it seems like the longer im off the subs the worse the sweating has been when i sleep. I mean duration seems to keep getting longer and longer everynight off them. But during the day hot and cold has got less and less. And the intensity got less everyday. No sleep for the first few days but has got better over time. And i mean i did not sleep 1st night than slept hours 2nd night and than like 4 or 5 3rd and 4th night. And 5th night total about 7 hours but broken up. I have had very little engery but has got better every day. Stomach felt feels weird but no vomiting or any issues with the other and at all so far but dont know of that will last or not. In all it has made wd longer but more moderate but definitely longer. If i could have i would have tapered off the norcos but that was not an option cause i ran out and had no control with them. So it was ct or subs. I did not want to go ct from that much hydro. But 40mg i would be way more willing if i had to choose from ct at that doae or subs. I would choose ct cause i have done that so i know what to expect. But if you can get lower than that even better. Basically i used the subs to tapper down to an easier place to stop at. Subs seem like crazy overkill for 40mg of hydro. They just seem way way stronger to me comparing. I mean my hydro dose was 250mg and .5mg sub held me. So i dont know how you would get to a small enough piece to be equal to 40mg hydro. But everyone is different my adiction at 250mg of hydro could be the same as your 40mg to you. Im just speaking for my body only. Just trying to let u know how it has worked for me with my 250mg habbit. But in all it has drawn things at a lot but less intence but enough to affect your daily life. You will go through wd not matter what. Subs are an opioid and with a short use its not like you body say oh this is a new drug and i will now heal from thw old drug. You will prolong the wd cause you are still using opioids. But it got it down to a less intence spot than if i would have went ct from 250mg hydro. So for me and only me if i was on a 40mg hydro level and had to choose ct or subs. I would ct but if i could taper off hydro even more than i would cause those wd were next to nothing when i tapered off hydros before. I gott to 5mg hydro a day and stopped with just a little hot flash. But how long you used and how much and you body and situation will determine how you will do. I am only letting know what i have done and how it worked for me and me only. But like you i like to get info before i do something. But if i was able to do my doc and taper down right than i would have stayed with what i knew and not have tried subs. But thats me. If your able to taper down and not go back up than push yourself and keep going. If you are having pain from an injury from before hydros and cant take the pain than you may need to stay on them. But if its wd pain than you will have to push on or you will not guit. Subs will not cure your injury pain. Once you stop subs that pain will be there.

Thanks for your reply my biggest problem right now is not tapering off of those it's having other psychological problems dealing with so much in my life right now my anxiety has gotten out of control I haven't slept hardly in 10 days. Just saw my psychiatrist and he recommends I go in for treatment if I can't manage everything at home right now