• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How dangerous is mixing benzos and alcohol?

Top Cat

Bluelighter
I basically want some information on how dangerous it is to mix alcohol with benzos, because a while back my friend did so and got really fucked up and I want him to realise that he could have possibily killed himself. He had drank about 15 drinks (beer and cider) and then he had 3.5 valiums. He has a tolerance to alcohol but had never taken benzos before. Could he of quite easily died?

You are more likely to die from your actions while under the influence of booze n benzos. It is extremely common to black out on this combination, sometimes resulting in waking up in a jail cell with no recollection of how you got there.

Last edited:
^^Exactly. Benzos are much more forgiving than the class of drugs they replaced (the barbiturates) when it comes to overdosing. However, you are much more likely to die from the alcohol and benzo combination than just alcohol or benzos.

And, as Tommyboy already said, the real danger is blacking out (completely) and doing some really stupid shit. I've also noticed that I rarely re-dose while on benzos but I re-dose very often if I've had a few drinks and a lorazepam or clonazepam. The inhibition eliminating properties of this combination usually just lead people towards just acting like idiots and/or eating way more drugs than they originally intended.

As long as your friend is aware of the risks, he should be fine.

its one of the most dangerous combos in terms of behaving badly, i have blacked out and woken up with cuts and bruises and objects strewn around my room with absolutely no memory. i dont know how serious the respiratory trouble risk is but the first thing should be enough to discourage someone.

Bad times with benzos and booze. Too many times waking up the next day, beat up and bloody with all my stuff knocked down to the floor, broken windows, missing car etc....Do one or the other man! We've all learned the hard way, use us as a lesson -- Dont mix benzo's with other downers (alcohol and opiates are most commonly mixed w/ benzos)

I've known people who survived massive doses of the two, and I do mean massive. But, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just cause they replaced barbs doesn't mean they are safe.

^What good does it do to add that you've known people who have taken massive combinations of the two? This type of stuff is counterproductive to harm reduction - drug users/addicts are always looking for ways to rationalize dangerous behavior and there's no reason to give them more fodder for this.

It's still very dangerous, I was just pointing out that barbs were much more dangerous than benzos, alone or in combination with alcohol.

There danger lies in making an ass out of yourself while blacked out and in death from high doses of the two. Be careful.

Ya it's okay if you know what your doing and use very LITTLE of BOTH substances.

It is incredibly dangerous.
Taking close to the max amount of ethanol you can stand and close to the max benzo dose is very dangerous.

You can't die from JUST benzos, you will just go into a coma and wake up a few days later feeling shitty with a tube in your dick and a nurse cleaning up your shit. Mixed with alcohol, though, even small amounts, and you can be SOL.

It can actually be a very fascinating combo as well. Just know your limits while fucked up, i know that sounds retarded but i know i can. I'll make sure to not pass a certain dose of benzo for instance 2mg xanax MAX, and i'll try to keep drinking at reasonable levels. Sometimes it turns out that i drink more than i wanted to, but i can still gauge where the danger level would be. It all depends on the person, please don't flame me

did you even read cane2theleft's post? At least the OP intended harm reduction as the point of this thread

I took 1mg of xanax and had about 4 drinks and I ended up making a decision that would have killed me had I not been in the company of other people with very useful harm reduction knowledge....see trip reports. </rant>

It's also dangerous to give you're threads ambiguous titles that don't help anyone looking for specific info.

For example, if a user was looking for a thread which discussed mixing benzos and alcohol, it sure would be REAL NICE if they saw a thread actually called "how dangerous is it to mix benzos and alcohol?"

If everyone named their threads pointlessly with titles like "hey check this out" this fourm would essentially be useless. As it stands now, future users looking for benzo/booze info will never find this thread, since most people search under thread titles. So, your thread has helped you and no one else.

In the future, please keep this in mind. I know, its fun to "tantalize" people into reading your thread with a mysterious title, but it doesn't really work within the concept of harm reduction.

It's the worst blackout combo there is. In all likelihood it wouldn't kill anybody, though.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.
It's also dangerous to give you're threads ambiguous titles that don't help anyone looking for specific info.

For example, if a user was looking for a thread which discussed mixing benzos and alcohol, it sure would be REAL NICE if they saw a thread actually called "how dangerous is it to mix benzos and alcohol?"

If everyone named their threads pointlessly with titles like "hey check this out" this fourm would essentially be useless. As it stands now, future users looking for benzo/booze info will never find this thread, since most people search under thread titles. So, your thread has helped you and no one else.

In the future, please keep this in mind. I know, its fun to "tantalize" people into reading your thread with a mysterious title, but it doesn't really work within the concept of harm reduction.
I'm sorry for tantalizing you into reading my thread haha, however you're right I did have loads of fun doing so o_O

It's like many other drug combinations meaning it can have a synergistic effect especially on those who aren't use to it. It's not something to be played with unless you've cautiously experimented with low doses of each. I personally use 1/2mg of k-pins or xanex with a few vodkas on a regular basis but I know in advance how it will effect me... both behaviorally and physically.

I also know it isn't good for the long term health of my liver and brain cells which is a forseen consequence. I do get a liver enzyme test twice a yr though.

There are much safer and healthier ways to get a buzz.