• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Shulgin Index Vol1: Psychedelic Phenethylamines and Related Compounds

I heard late January.

As soon as I know it will actually be available when said, I'll pre-order.

And the Shulgin Index is off to the printer, thanks mainly to Wendy, my wonderful daughter, who said (something like), “No more! No more! It’s finished. We are sending it out into the big, wide world NOW!” At which point all the exhausted co-authors (Paul Daley and Tania Manning) cried out in unison (sort of): “Free At Last! Free At Last! Thank Wendy Awlmighty, Free At Last!”

From Ann Shulgin's update January 3, 2011.

They're going out soon, within two or three weeks; I'll give a brief review when I get my copy.

I got an e-mail that said it's about to ship. Again, I'll update when I get it.

My copy is also in the mail, I will post a review as well, should nuke not beat me to the punch.

just wondering, but how many pages is the book? Pricey, but worth it, I imagine.

I am probably sitting 2 miles from Transform Press. I'll ask if they have a physical location where I can thumb through books. :p

ebola

From the proof sections I saw a few months ago it was clear that this was to be a very different type of book than PIHKAL. It appeared to be more of an attempt to take Shulgins "legacy" and present in a very thorough and referenced way. Not unlike the Merck Index, of which it appeared to be modeled after. Huge journal and reference sections, an attempt to corral all the papers and work being done in a scientific setting that mention these compounds. Huge amount of citations, physical data, and (at least what I saw) there were very few new compounds, and it wasn't geared towards making synthesis such a focus. Like I said before, the kids will be very disappointed with this one. The $85 price tag, as well as the lack of subjective descriptions and personalized anecdotes comes as quite contrary to the populist approach of PIHKAL. This begs the argument (the divide that has existed since psychedelic's emergence on the modern world not so many decades ago) of access, the ol' Huxley vs. Leary schism, and makes me wonder if the backlash and insanity of recent years has given Sasha a change of heart. Realistically I imagine it is a lot more complex than that, and I can think of a dozen good reasons why the book is structured the way it is. But it does bring to mind many interesting ethical questions.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to let you know that my copy came in the mail today.

Here is a bulleted review on the contents, for interested persons:
- First off, gone are the anecdotal accounts found within TiHKAL and PiHKAL. In its place is an abundance of information about the pharmacology of the compounds, their legal status, their CAS numbers and their synthesis. This is hard core chemist/biochemist materials, and it's nice to see Shulgin return to his roots as a scientist.
- Additionally included in the book is reference spectra for almost every compound found in PiHKAL.
- The book is extraordinarily well referenced and contains 2000+ references.
- Over 1300 compounds are covered, with about 130 of the most active and studied compounds from PiHKAL investigated in depth.
- The length is 811 pages.
- The legal status of all compounds is well covered in the United States.

This is essentially a Merck index of the psychoactive phenethylamines and is targetted mainly at researchers.

What sort of spectra are included? NMR, EI/MS, infrared, UV?
Are there Ki values listed?

Very interested in this book, will have to wait for it to show up around here.

It is all mass spectra, 229 of them in total. Ki values are not listed but rather referred to with references given.

Another thing to note is that references and minor details of pretty much all synthesis roots published are also given.

Can someone post a scan/photo of 1-2 pages so people who are far from chemistry and pharmacology will have better idea of what is this book?
It is interesting, why this book is different from *iHKALs

This book sound likely exactly what i was hoping it would be. More for people interested in pharmacology than for people interested in drugs. I can't wait to get a copy.

whoa... looking back at ppls comments: "bit pricey"... right... 6 years later and is now found used for a paltry ENTIRE degree of magnitude above what it was.

need want covet sadface