• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Half Life Series

I think they helped produce it or something. It's mostly just two guys, playing, doing the commentary and adding a few sound effects. Pretty simple but totally hilarious :)

One of the guys (Ross Scott) also did a short (30min) movie called the tunnel based on half-life 2, which is pretty amazing - I have no idea how they did it, I guess it's very heavily modifiable, but still... Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NvQPioPFI

It doesn't quite measure up to the original in my opinion,

I couldn't agree more man.

Hence why I just made a thread for the original series.

I have tons of nostalgia which just cannot wait to start playing again. %)

I think they helped produce it or something. It's mostly just two guys, playing, doing the commentary and adding a few sound effects. Pretty simple but totally hilarious :)

One of the guys (Ross Scott) also did a short (30min) movie called the tunnel based on half-life 2, which is pretty amazing - I have no idea how they did it, I guess it's very heavily modifiable, but still... Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NvQPioPFI

I will when I am not exceedingly busy but thank you for the link. :)

The best bong for toking and playing Half Life... Highly recommended!

081711154840.jpg

I call it the half life bong. %)

And I have some delicious medical grade cannabis to smoke with this beauty.

Because I am a stoner I have lost track of the number of tips I have written, but here is another:

Never underestimate the effectiveness of the hand grenade. =D

Captain's Pro Tip: The Crowbar

If you aren't using cheats, then learn how to carefully sneak up on smaller prey with the crow bar and thus save ammunition.

%)

Ammunition was never a problem for me in HL2. Seems like I always had an excess of it, even though I'm a friggin' terrible shot when it comes to FPSs. :p

Half-life series fans: other game recommendations?

I highly recommend Opposing Force if you can manage playing on the Half Life engine.. I couldn't believe how amazing it was to traverse through.. I never got around to Blue Shift, but wow Opposing Force was absolutely incredible.

It's the puzzle solving in these FPS games that makes them so great; it's a shame that alot of new FPS games are deterring from the one aspect that made them fun to play. Gabe Newell mentioned in a video not to long ago about Valve's commitment to maintaining this aspect in there future projects, that people want intellectually challenging games.. it's just unfortunate that the series which is Portal was so short, but i think it stood as a great testament that a game fundamentally based around literal problem solving was not only highly anticipated but well received by gamers (aside from the very short story)

I'm not sure of any other FPS games that really execute this dynamic in there design, ever since the craze of 'modern FPS's' (CoD, BF) i've retreated back into RPG and RTS games. I remember how much fun it was to play Doom and Quake where I.D software really capitalized on their ability to integrate puzzle solving into the birth of FPS with secret area's and boss fights.

Ahh nostalgia...

I love Half-Life. Have played all the games in the series. I hate when I end up walking around for an hour trying to figure out where to go. I tend to overcomplicate things. I would play the game for hours on end in high school. Sometimes I wuld play from the moment I got home from school until the next morning until I would have to go to school again. Blue Shift was my overall fave. That or Opposing Force. Its a close one on those. Each lends itself to unique stories and I always want to kill the G-man.

LOL Yes! I always want to kill the Gman as well!

I have always wanted Valve to come out with yet another expansion to the Half Life series where you get to be the Gman! Wouldn't that be sweet as hell?

I'm sure if they are doing something like this, they'll save it for the very end, and span it over every single part of half life as he's been an insidious part of the series. :)

I definitely enjoyed Opposing Force more than Blue Shift, except for the ending; Blue Shift has a better ending than Opposing Force, although both are good in their own respects. :)

I have a tip for those playing Half Life.

In the level Apprehension, you find a cage with a crossbow in it. You could use this to kill the ichthyosaur with it, but I prefer the satchel charge. This way, you can place it in the water, wait for the ichthyosaur to swim by, detonate, and then this way you can kill it without having to get in the water with it.

081711154840.jpg

I call it the half life bong. %)

And I have some delicious medical grade cannabis to smoke with this beauty.

Because I am a stoner I have lost track of the number of tips I have written, but here is another:

Never underestimate the effectiveness of the hand grenade. =D

If there's a water chamber in the nade, well, that's just brilliant.

I actually never played Half Life because at that age I was playing mostly RTS like Aoe and C&C or sim games like X Wing Vs TIE Fighter or Rollercoaster Tycoon. By the time I got into FPS I was only really playing online in games like Unreal Tourny and ironically Counter Strike.

In the beginning of the chapter Forget About Freeman, you are escaping a room with falling bricks. Then you run into the next rooms, which are separated by snark cocoons. After you have eliminated the cocoons and are in the platform with a valve which opens a hatch you are to climb through, I suggest going into the water. There's an armor pack next to a dead soldier.

I never looked there before, so I felt like pointing that out.

Aw man I missed this thread, I'm a serious serious HL/CS fanatic. I've been for years. I was with a CAL-I clan (and ended up ranking 4th in the Cal-I league by the end of the season) and we even won money. I had some great great times playing CS before CS-S came out. CS-S is great, but original CS was when it was much more popular. Since CS-S I fell off due to drug use. My addiction went from Half life products to pills n stuff. I think HL was my original addiction.

oh how i miss the days of WON =) i remember playing cs and tfc. TFC was my game i loved that shit. Got really competitive. sigh...those were the days, and old school Day of defeat!! i got a six digit steam account if anyone wants to buy it.
256px-Team_Fortress_Classic_box.jpg

Last edited:
Aw man I missed this thread, I'm a serious serious HL/CS fanatic. I've been for years. I was with a CAL-I clan (and ended up ranking 4th in the Cal-I league by the end of the season) and we even won money. I had some great great times playing CS before CS-S came out. CS-S is great, but original CS was when it was much more popular. Since CS-S I fell off due to drug use. My addiction went from Half life products to pills n stuff. I think HL was my original addiction.

dude fuck ya on the addiction starting with half life!!! i tell everyone that my addiction started with gaming. I remmeber playing firearms until my eyes bled