• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Half Life Series

Hey Captain, is The Orange Box worth it on the 360? (even if I don't have Live Gold, and I loved Team Fortress Classic back in the day).

Or is the paddle not suited for this genre of games? Thanks.

I have no 360 experience, sorry. Atri - didn't you say that you played Half Life 2 on a 360? What did you think?

I really enjoyed half life over the computer; I think it's the way to go for the Half Life 1 series.

Then again you could use your computer to look at this guide while you play on the 360, lol!

i need to get a wired xbox 360 controlller before i can play more of hl. but i prefer to play with a controller at all times. i just dont like the keyboard mouse thing for shooters

half life is what got me into shooters. I love the whole series!

This is a thread dedicated to the Half Life series. This consists of Half Life, Half Life: Opposing Force, and Half Life: Blue Shift. There is also a Half Life 2 series, including Episode One and Episode Two. I haven't yet created a guide for these games, but if I do, I'll probably add in the information into this thread.

Merry Christmas, Bluelight! This is my gift to you all. :D I hope you enjoy it!

"Oh Captain,my Captain...."

ok,you said this was my next game-no question,right?

is is available on a game console like PS2 or PS3,or is it just for PC?

If it is a PC game,is it one that I should buy@game store,or is it something I have to pay and play online?
I just have no bank account,credit cards,income,ect...i have an empty pay pal account but no way to load that sucker.

I know it's kinda corny,but back in 95,my second year at Clemson, I had a roommate who got me hooked on "Sim City". I was thinking about one of those for PC or possible one of the regular "Sims" for PC-I don't get into the fancy "Dance Party" or whatever hyped up "Sims" games. But I do enjoy that type of game as a break from the usual games I play.
Any favorites in that category are greatly appreciated.

My favorite Sims - the only Sims game I would willingly waste time playing again - would be Sim Tower.

Comparing Sim Tower to Half Life? Blasphemy. Half Life wins, hands down, any day, on any drug, I would prefer to play Half Life again, specifically any of the original game series.

I'm halfway through hl2 right now

dude that rymed lol.

yeah hl2 is cool, i got it for the 360, i would get it on the computer but i got a shitty laptop. eh well it plays cs 1.6.

you should move on to teamfortress 2 after u beat hl2 and play online.

Aww man, memories.!

This was my favorite gaming series when i was younger, bought Half-Life (Game of the Year Edition) in 1999.. and was blown away by the depth of story and atmosphere; i was following the production of Half-Life 2 very closely including the infamous leak.

Pre-ordered the HL2 Collectors, the source engine was something to marvel at in absolute awe! An amazing physics engine in combination with intricate puzzle systems throughout the game; i miss this in first person shooters.

Unfortunately i never got into the episodes, i think if they had released the episodes as a single release under HL3 then i may of. I did get sucked into counter-strike in my earlier days, along with TF and TF2, opposing force (fantastic game) and Blue Shift.

Portal was a nice surprise, and i already have Portal 2 on pre-order. Valve for me is one of those companies that i can be assured will come out with quality games, that are on the leading edge of graphics whilst still keeping in theme with the classical FPS action games that required the player to 'think' and 'solve' their way through the game while blowing shit up! :D

Last edited:
I hope xen is in EP3.

Here's to hoping. :)

Aww man, memories.!

This was my favorite gaming series when i was younger, bought Half-Life (Game of the Year Edition) in 1999.. and was blown away by the depth of story and atmosphere; i was following the production of Half-Life 2 very closely including the infamous leak.

Pre-ordered the HL2 Collectors, the source engine was something to marvel at in absolute awe! An amazing physics engine in combination with intricate puzzle systems throughout the game; i miss this in first person shooters.

Unfortunately i never got into the episodes, i think if they had released the episodes as a single release under HL3 then i may of. I did get sucked into counter-strike in my earlier days, along with TF and TF2, opposing force (fantastic game) and Blue Shift.

Portal was a nice surprise, and i already have Portal 2 on pre-order. Valve for me is one of those companies that i can be assured will come out with quality games, that are on the leading edge of graphics whilst still keeping in theme with the classical FPS action games that required the player to 'think' and 'solve' their way through the game while blowing shit up! :D

You mean you haven't played Opposing Force?

You have some levels to complete man! Opposing Force is my all time favorite. At first I was only going to cover Opposing Force in the beginning, then I decided it would be useless of me to do that and not cover the original Half Life, as well as Blue Shift as well.

There is more that I want to do for this guide in terms of expanding it considerably; however, I am running out of free time to do this in life. I will get around to it, but I hope that someone could help out as well. %) If anyone's interested in this, please hit me up via PM.

You mean you haven't played Opposing Force?

Oh no no, Just the episodes..

Opposing Force was incredible! After finishing Half-Life i looked through my game of the year box at the other games; and thought i'd give opposing force a shot, it looked more interesting then Blue Shift.. and i was blown away; it came close to Half-Life in depth and atmosphere i got alot more then i expected, much fun! :)

i have to get a wired 360 controller so i can finish this game

im still yet to play half life but i have heard good things about it

Did you read through what I wrote up there at least a little? It's definitely a fucking awesome game. I would recommend it to anyone who can enjoy playing any computer game.

The makers of such acclaimed single-player video games as Portal and Half-Life 2 want all of their future games to support connected, non-solo gaming, in some way, at all levels.

That assertion first appeared in the Final Hours of Portal 2, journalist Geoff Keighley’s recent behind-the-scenes chronicle about Valve’s newest game. It’s an assertion he told me he heard directly from Valve founder Gabe Newell and the company’s project manager Erik Johnson.

“Portal 2 will probably be Valve’s last game with an isolated single-player experience,” Keighley wrote in Final Hours, “What this all means is something Newell is still trying to figure out.”

Keighley told me that he considered the comment “curious,” noting that the quality of the solo-only main campaign of Portal 2 was a fantastic piece of work. But the signs are there, not just from within Valve but all around the pioneering games company that solo-only modes are on their way out.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/valve-probably-done-with-single-player-games/

This makes me very sad, i do hope they continue developing solo gaming in "some-way" that can still incorporate the multilayer avenue their currently expanding into. Valve has made some of the best atmospheric single-player first-person games in history, it would be a shame to see that disappear due to the market. I think Gabe Newell is still clarifying details on this..

Did you read through what I wrote up there at least a little? It's definitely a fucking awesome game. I would recommend it to anyone who can enjoy playing any computer game.

i had a quick look but it would be more interesting to someone whos played it

your thread is more like an in depth guide than a review which is good but to someone who hasnt played it some of it makes no sense to them

looks like you put alot of work in to this thread tho :)

unfortunately i sold my gaming pc which i deeply regret for gear so i can get it atm :(

i had a quick look but it would be more interesting to someone whos played it

your thread is more like an in depth guide than a review which is good but to someone who hasnt played it some of it makes no sense to them

looks like you put alot of work in to this thread tho :)

unfortunately i sold my gaming pc which i deeply regret for gear so i can get it atm :(

That sucks! You totally need it back. ;)

Half Life will keep you off of heroin if you can afford to get it back, and get the games (very affordable); they will keep you occupied past the withdrawals so that after you're done you'll feel great for kicking and also be done with any negative feelings! =D

Unfortunately the guy i sold it to sold it on also , i was stupid as fuck cos i built it all my self so it wasnt bloody cheap especially with all top of the range hardware

Also im not working just now and neither am i on benefits due to david fucking cameron lol

When i have the cash again i will building another for sure and will defo buy i mean torren ... i mean buy this game he he