• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissZee

Bluelighter
Ahh, I have seriously no idea if i've put this in the right place!

Anyway, my Partner has been on Methadone for around 9 months now to get off heroin. He's on 70ml a day, has completely cut heroin out of his life.

But now he's just managed to get his own flat, and is trying to get into work etc.. To be frank - He just doesn't want to be on Methadone anymore.

The thing we're worried about is the withdrawls. Because it's not like heroin, where you can replace it with something else like methadone... Or is it, I don't know?
After a short time in Prison around a year ago, he shared a cell with someone who was withdrawing off methadone, and he said it was the worse thing he's ever seen, even worse than a heroin WD.
Also we'v been told by people that it lasts A LOT longer than a heroin WD, around 2 months.. Is this a load of kack??

I just don't want to see him try and WD without anything, and get that bad he goes out and gets heroin. It's like a vicious cycle. So is there ANYTHING at all that could help with a methadone WD??

Thank you!

You could switch to suboxone and have a much easier time tapering down from what i have heard. I would NOT jump off methadone cold turkey for ANY reason, i would rather go back to heroin.

If he switches to suboxone, make sure he scores high enough on the COWS in order to avoid precip. withdrawal.

while i have never detoxed off a heavy dose of methadone (40mg) i definitely agree that it is much harder to quit than heroin.

i dont know what it is....maybe the chemical make up or whatever but imo its certainly more difficult to kick than alot of other opiates.

Yeah I know I'm the same tbh, would much rather have a heroin habit than a methadone habit!

Will definately tell him to try the suboxone! I've only heard a bit about that, is that just as addictive or will he be able to take it for a short while just to get off the methadone?

thankyou!

The withdrawals are supposed to be longer than other short acting opiates, but they are supposed to be milder too.

Anyway, jumping off 1mg every other day must not be as harsh as cold turkeying at, say, 20mg. Logic means the lower the dose, the milder the withdrawals.

I dont buy the "oh my God this is an evil drug to stop!" ...

I dont buy the "oh my God this is an evil drug to stop!" ...

I never thought it was that bad, until I was told by loads of people that the WD could last for months and it was so much harder than beating Heroin.

Although, he didn't get to the pharmacy one day and the whole night he went through WD, but he said they weren't half as bad as Heroin WD. So he's contemplating coming straight off, which worries me. Is that harmful in any way?

I never thought it was that bad, until I was told by loads of people that the WD could last for months and it was so much harder than beating Heroin.

Although, he didn't get to the pharmacy one day and the whole night he went through WD, but he said they weren't half as bad as Heroin WD. So he's contemplating coming straight off, which worries me. Is that harmful in any way?

Methadone WD takes 3-4 days to fully manifest....so what your partner experienced was just the TIP of the iceberg as far as how horrible the WD's can be

You need to taper with methadone in order to avoid the heavy withdrawals, get down to at least 2mg.

Taper or not either way he's still gonna have to go thru horrid withdrawals, and let me tell you, IT'S BAD.. REAL BAD.

i stopped 40mg of methadone cold turkey and went through hell for a month. do not come off of it (especially that high of dose) cold turkey. IME it is bad. and now 3 years later. im back on the drugs cuz i couldnt make it through the methadone withdrawals. and im on higher doses than ever before (not to my liking). Im hoping to get a new doc and taper down some cuz this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldN't just drop myself off my methadone........ subutex is actually the drug used to detox u from Methadone.... suboxone can actually cause u harm if used to come offa methadone...

U never feel quite right coming offa anything... but subutex should help alot

i stopped 40mg of methadone cold turkey and went through hell for a month. do not come off of it (especially that high of dose) cold turkey. IME it is bad. and now 3 years later. im back on the drugs cuz i couldnt make it through the methadone withdrawals. and im on higher doses than ever before (not to my liking). Im hoping to get a new doc and taper down some cuz this is ridiculous.
Im going through pretty much the samething....fucking sucks!!!

Yeah I wouldN't just drop myself off my methadone........ subutex is actually the drug used to detox u from Methadone.... suboxone can actually cause u harm if used to come offa methadone...

U never feel quite right coming offa anything... but subutex should help alot

Dude subutex, suboxone, & Temgesic are the same shit buprenorphine but suboxone also has naloxone in it, but their almost Identical

24 hours is minimum time you can take subetex after last dose of methadone though not recomended till your down to at least 40mg. 12 hours with heroin. hate subetex though as detox, much better to go with dhydrocodine tablets. methadone is the worst to come off. done 14 detoxs and now given up and faced the fact that i like heroin to much to stop.

methadone taper to suboxone ...

let me start by apologizing if this is the wrong place to post his cuz i cant find where to post my situation...anyways here goes..
I was on a methadone program for 3 yrs ...up to 120 milligrams :( .. & decided to taper off at 5 mill every 2 weeks :) ...down to 15mill...then i had 2 weeks off work so i stopped going to my program to kick it...i got some suboxone...took it for 5 days (1st day..8millsub..2nd day..3/4 day..4th day..1/2 ..5th day..1/4...6th day..an 8th..) then went 48 hours...felt withdrawels ...and took a final crumb...apprx. .08mill....then went 4 days...the first day sucked..by the 3rd day felt a bit better but by the 4th morning...the anxiety and chills and restlessness(lack of sleep) was killing me, so i took a 5 mg perc this morning to help....
Im wondering if this is gonna set me back now, cuz i know percs only have a half life of 4.5 hours ...OR will it help the rest of the sub get outta me and ill be okay ???
any help would be greatly appreciated since i have to go back to work in 3 days...im nervous the wd are gonna come back stronger?? idk?...

maybe its a city thing but I would-be done the exact same thing...thats the right way....but you should have took a 5mg valium instead of a 5mg perc lol or take a few benzos to get through the hump of the WDs ..anyway good luck ...a decade later -___-

Status
Not open for further replies.