• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

So does anything ACTUALLY potentiate codeine?

bpayne

Bluelighter
theres lots of potentiation to be had for most opiates but it seems the hardest one to actually potentiate is codeine, dxm reduces it's effects, it's looking like grapefruit juice reduces them as well, I take tums but that does nothing but create a more base enviroment in which to metabolize, I know the basic one beer, but what else potentiates codeine, and don't tell me to look up the opiate potentiation guide, this is about Codeine most of those techiniques do NOT work on codeine in fact they do the opposite which is inhibit the amount of morphine it is metabolized into, some say grapefruit inhibits 34a not 2d6 and therfore does potentiate but I have not found that to be the case, so what are some easy to obtain otc cyp2d6 INDUCERS? or other methods that potentiate CODEINE most opiate potentiating methods do not work for it.

i think it really depends on your metabolism... the convertion to morphine can be 8-12% on average...

i think you know anti-hidtamines add to the sedarion, but whether thats "potentiation" is aeguable

Loperamide (A.K.A. Immodium AD anti-diarrhea OTC med) does. It attaches mainly to the opioid receptors in the intestines, freeing up more codeine to attach to receptors in the brain. I'm pretty sure of this, at least this is how it felt to me when I combined the two but I'm not 100% positive.

If you can get your hands on glutethimide (it was sold in the US as Doriden), it will potentiate the codeine high most marvelously: do a search on the "4s and Doors" - Tylenol 4s and Doriden - craze of the 1980s. Unfortunately, glutethimide is difficult to come by nowadays, more's the pity.

Promethazine is supposedly a pretty good potentiator for codeine: all those drank-lovin' Houstonites must be onto something.

Promethazine is supposedly a pretty good potentiator for codeine: all those drank-lovin' Houstonites must be onto something.

Actually they aren't. Once you get tolerant to the point it doesn't work anymore, you only really feel the promethazine.

Doesn't alcohol increase the levels of whatever enzyme it is in the liver that converts some of the codeine to morphine? Shouldn't mix alcohol and opiates though, CNS depression etc. WGFJ is meant to do the same isn't it? In terms of increases levels of the enzyme needed to convert the codeine to morphine.

I've never noticed much difference, if at all from my experience with codeine and trying to potentiate it. Alcohol naturally synergizes with the codeine as they're both downers but I'm sure I read somewhere some alcohol in the bloodstream can increase levels of the required enzyme in your liver.

Last edited:
Doesn't alcohol increase the levels of whatever enzyme it is in the liver that converts some of the codeine to morphine? Shouldn't mix alcohol and opiates though, CNS depression etc. WGFJ is meant to do the same isn't it? In terms of increases levels of the enzyme needed to convert the codeine to morphine.

I've never noticed much difference, if at all from my experience with codeine and trying to potentiate it. Alcohol naturally synergizes with the codeine as they're both downers but I'm sure I read somewhere some alcohol in the bloodstream can increase levels of the required enzyme in your liver.
Daily use of alcohol increases levels of that enzyme to enable faster metabolism of alcohol. Acute alcohol use will result in competition for the enzyme with codeine resulting in lower conversion to morphine.

My mistake alcohol induces 2 E1 not 2D6. It's effect on codeine metabolism should be negligible then. Induction of this enzyme by ethanol is responsible for increased toxicity of acetaminophen in alcohol users. Cimetidine, by inhibiting the cytochrome p450 system actually decreases the hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen despite an increase in blood levels. A useful fact for combination opiate users.

^
Ah I see, that's good to know regarding the APAP. I guess that's why you should always perform a CWE with appropriate filters.

Daily use of alcohol increases levels of that enzyme to enable faster metabolism of alcohol. Acute alcohol use will result in competition for the enzyme with codeine resulting in lower conversion to morphine.

I have high liver test from alcohol.
Codeine still doesn't work for me unless combined with alcohol.

Yeah I got my enzymes mixed up on that post just see my next one after that.

All the times im on any kind of opioid and I drink I find it greatly reduces the high. Once you start to feel a little tipsy I find it just covers up the high, not to mention it increases the chances of you not breathing anymore.

All the times im on any kind of opioid and I drink I find it greatly reduces the high. Once you start to feel a little tipsy I find it just covers up the high, not to mention it increases the chances of you not breathing anymore.

Not really...

I like to mix oxy with beer. It gives a loopier persona to the opiate high... Ya know? Not just a sluggish stone...

Doriden (Glutethimide) and Codeine the best stone on earth. Nothing can compare to the euphoric blissful long lasting high of my beloved "hits" as they were known in my area of NJ. Sadly Doriden was discontinued in '93 forcing many people, including myself, to H. No comparison, doesn't even come close. I still dream about them.