I was on "conditional discharge" and probation for 6 months. ends in about a week

Roger32

Bluelighter
I was on "conditional discharge" and probation for 6 months. ends in about a week

I got a marijuana arrest about 9 months ago.

I was told by the judge at my trial that after I completed 6 months probation without incident, I would have to go back in court to formally get the charges dismissed. My probation is over in early December and I have not received any notice of a court date.

I am currently looking for work, and would like to apply for insurance/banking/finance jobs because I am a business major who is weeks away from graduating college and a business major.

Is this going to be an issue?

No, even if you didnt officially complete it yet it still aint gonna be on your record. the arrest is but not many people check for that. You talking about any type of conviction or anything, which will not be.

Also, just for the record, alot of times you dont go back to court at all. They always say that, but I never did, and neither did 3 or 4 people that I know who also was on CD and then completed the time frame. they told me "youll complete it then go in to see your PO one last time and then to court to close the case" , etc, but it never happened. The time elapsed, nothin had happened, i had stayed outa trouble, my fines all was paid off, that was it. They closed the file and i never heard from them again. And it dont show up on my background check in any of the reports that I have seen of my record.

I dont think you will have any issues at all. Its common for these cases to get closed and finished up without the person ever actually making an appearance at the end. I dont know why but I guess its becuz the court systems are so overloaded that when you have a uneventful CD they dont want to waste time and resources to have you make an appearance when they can just close the shit up and be done with it, you feel me.

BTW, you aint on "conditional discharge AND probation", conditional discharge is like a "lite" form of probation. Its one thing not 2. you just on conditional discharge.

anyways the bottom line is, if you completed the sentence and the 6 months is up , dont worry about it. If nobody calls you in or w/ever, that aint a problem, they just closed that shit up without needing you to make an appearance. The only record you may have is the arrest record which is a seperate thing than your regular record that comes up on a background check. And that has nothing to do with whether or not you make a final court appearance, etc. Whether or not you formally closed the case by goin back to court, etc, or it just closed on its own without you present, the arrest record is still there so thats irrelevant to this. You aint gotta do nothing. If they dont call you, they dont need you to appear, and your case is most likely closed. That aint gonna have no effect on your job search.

If you still have charges pending, then it may be.

I would contact the attorney who handled your case to find out where you are in this process. Alternatively, you may contact the court directly to learn if your court appearance has been scheduled. You cannot appear in court until after your term of probabtion ends, and it can take the court some time to get your documentation together, etc. You may want to wait until this is resolved before looking for work, especially if it is in the near future, which it should be.

If you still have charges pending, then it may be.

I would contact the attorney who handled your case to find out where you are in this process. Alternatively, you may contact the court directly to learn if your court appearance has been scheduled. You cannot appear in court until after your term of probabtion ends, and it can take the court some time to get your documentation together, etc. You may want to wait until this is resolved before looking for work, especially if it is in the near future, which it should be.

I did not have a lawyer. I talked to the prosecutor myself.

I am hoping I get a letter in the mail or something saying the case is officially closed.

Dude get it taken care of. Don't assume the court will process this automatically. I did that when my condischrg ended and it wound up complicating a visa application a year later.

Can you please expand on this?

Every job I applied for did a background check, that not only included convictions, but even minor charges that were later dropped. You need to get an expunction lawyer and get it cleaned off your record, or everytime the police run your ID, they are going to search you assuming you are a drug user.

Got a letter in the mail today. Case is dismissed, Says court date is Jan 5, but it is an administrative issue only and no appearance is necessary.

Should I hold off on applying to jobs until that date? If not jobs in general, finance/banking jobs where a background check is more important?

Got a letter in the mail today. Case is dismissed, Says court date is Jan 5, but it is an administrative issue only and no appearance is necessary.

Should I hold off on applying to jobs until that date? If not jobs in general, finance/banking jobs where a background check is more important?

I would wait, and I would perform a background check on myself to see what it says.

Since you mentioned finance i can tell you this.When my firm sent my papers to F.I.N.R.A.My papes got rejected cuz i got flagged for lieng.My boy owns the firm and told me theres no need to mention my arrest for suspended lisense or the 6month ACD i got(ACD=Dont get in trouble for 6 months).He told me when i fill out the forms not 2 mention it so i didnt.I had to go thru mad shit 2 get that shit to go away.Basically i shoulda just waited for the 6 months 2 b over b4 i sent in my papers.Maybe you should do the same just incase.

ps:Usually cases that have to do with pot dont show up they usually egt dismissed.I dont think they can even fine you without testing the stuff.So it usually just gets dismissed n does not stay on ur record...