• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy DMT Thread - The 6th Recursion

IM'ing DMT is my favorite ROA, it usually lasts about 50 minutes start to finish. I like it because it hits very hard, but without the terrifying edge that IV/smoking often has for me. it reminds me of oral DMT, minus the horrible nausea, condensed into an hour instead of 3. I have found that 50mg is usually enough for me, but I am more sensitive then most when it comes to DMT. I'd say "breakthrough" is around 65-75mg, but I haven't gone any higher than 75mg

Cannabis broth, lol. That had me chuckling most of the day.

And thank you for the link Roger, the information I've been able to find on the subject was very scattered and I'll be reading through that for sure.

IM'ing DMT is my favorite ROA, it usually lasts about 50 minutes start to finish. I like it because it hits very hard, but without the terrifying edge that IV/smoking often has for me. it reminds me of oral DMT, minus the horrible nausea, condensed into an hour instead of 3. I have found that 50mg is usually enough for me, but I am more sensitive then most when it comes to DMT. I'd say "breakthrough" is around 65-75mg, but I haven't gone any higher than 75mg

cool cheers bro. Now just gotta get some rigs and do some recrystallizing :)

I have 20 mg of dmt and was hoping to breakthrough but i don't think I have enough. Is it possible with 20 mg, and do you think first timers should attempt a breakthrough or start out slow?

Planning on doing DMT for the first time as soon as I can get my hands on it, preferably N,N although 5-MeO seems to be a lot more common around my area. I suppose I was just going to ask for any kind of advice some more experienced users might have such as dosage, preferred settings, mental preparations, smoking methods (I have been thinking glass pipe with a jet lighter is this a bad idea?) and anything else you might have stumbled upon in your experience.

Thanks and peace :)

Planning on doing DMT for the first time as soon as I can get my hands on it, preferably N,N although 5-MeO seems to be a lot more common around my area. I suppose I was just going to ask for any kind of advice some more experienced users might have such as dosage, preferred settings, mental preparations, smoking methods (I have been thinking glass pipe with a jet lighter is this a bad idea?) and anything else you might have stumbled upon in your experience.

Thanks and peace :)

I've only used a bubbler so keep that in mind. I usually choose a dose I want to do and pack it 10-15 mgs over to account for the dmt i may burn and the bit that gets stuck on the side of the bowl almost everytime.

If you use a device with a bowl you have to pack the dmt in between some herb (weed, muellin, mugwort etc) on the bottom so the dmt doesn't fall through and on top to give a protective layer for the dmt so it doesn't burn.

The optimal setting is during the day in a room with only sunlight coming in through the window blinds. If it's to dark the visuals don't really stand out as much. For first dose it really depends what you want to do if you just want to go for a breakthrough I would go for 50 mgs first time, if you want to ease your way up I'd go with 25 but personally I'd just go for gold and do 50 mgs. ;)

I have 20 mg of dmt and was hoping to breakthrough but i don't think I have enough. Is it possible with 20 mg, and do you think first timers should attempt a breakthrough or start out slow?

get yourself a bit of caapi, smoke a bowl or two of caapi leaf, and then...smoke all 20mg of the DMT. It probably wont be a breakthrough dose (however it will be very close, as my experience with DMT is that when I smoke a bowl or two of caapi before I smoke the DMT, i can literally cut my dose in less than half of DMT.

I have broken through on under 25mg of DMT after smoking two bowls of caapi first. But i smoke it out of a meth pipe (oil burner pipe) which is MUCH MORE EFFICIENT than the sandwich method for me. In fact, I don't see how someone could have such bad luck with their smoking technique when using an oil burner rather than a spoon (normal weed pipe). And it is quicker and easier with a torch lighter, but not by enough to justify buying a torch lighter that works decent (none of the under 15 dollar torch lighters that I have bought have been able to stay lit very long, they all heat up and then the gas stops flowing. If you are going to get a torch, get a 20 dollar or more creme brulee torch.

Nothing worse than having lighter operating issues while exhaling your first or second hit...

I've only used a bubbler so keep that in mind. I usually choose a dose I want to do and pack it 10-15 mgs over to account for the dmt i may burn and the bit that gets stuck on the side of the bowl almost everytime.

If you use a device with a bowl you have to pack the dmt in between some herb (weed, muellin, mugwort etc) on the bottom so the dmt doesn't fall through and on top to give a protective layer for the dmt so it doesn't burn.

The optimal setting is during the day in a room with only sunlight coming in through the window blinds. If it's to dark the visuals don't really stand out as much. For first dose it really depends what you want to do if you just want to go for a breakthrough I would go for 50 mgs first time, if you want to ease your way up I'd go with 25 but personally I'd just go for gold and do 50 mgs. ;)

Cheers man, probably do a 30 or 40 dose in a nice sunny outdoors environment.

I have gotten tier 1 and tier 2 - quite intense DMT trips, but have never broken through or had any entity contact.

My question: can you hear music you have playing when you're in a breakthrough?? or is it completely dissociative due to sheer intensity that you won't notice if there's music or not in your room, etc ?

I have gotten tier 1 and tier 2 - quite intense DMT trips, but have never broken through or had any entity contact.

My question: can you hear music you have playing when you're in a breakthrough?? or is it completely dissociative due to sheer intensity that you won't notice if there's music or not in your room, etc ?

in my experience with my breakthroughs this is what happens.

1) the DMT flash. This is when the effects begin to come on, my entire field of vision becomes replaced with patterns of unbelievable geometry.

2) the Breakthrough. This part is very unclear to me how it starts, because what seems to happen is this. After the DMT flash, but before the breakthrough, something happens, but I can NEVER REMEMBER WHAT IT IS. I liken it to a "vision" rather than a hallucination, eventually out of this vision you go into darkness, or rather emptyness, nothingness, then emerge into the breakthrough.

From my experience I can hear music throughout the DMT Flash, and can hear music still until some point between the vision and the breakthrough, but once im in the breakthrough, im in a completely different reality, and all of my senses, sense only things from this alternate reality. I can not feel the effects of gravity on me (i cant tell what position im sitting in, or if im even sitting, or if I even have a body etc...) sometimes I hear completely different music , sort of like underwater xylophones that melt when you play them , than whats actually playing, sometimes I hear silence, sometimes chanting or other vocalizations, but very rarely in a breakthrough am I aware of the music actually playing on the cd player lol.

coincidentally I use the point of time that I return to hearing music as the signifier that the breakthrough is complete and now im just perusing hyperspace floating back to reality.

Hey everyone! I'll be trying DMT for the first time soon. Needless to say, I'm very excited. I'm going to do a 50 mg dose and want to get the most out of it (hopefully a breakthrough) so I want to make sure I smoke it correctly and waste as little as possible. I have a few questions and would appreciate as much input as possible from all those with experience.
(1) I have a small marijuana pipe (the bowl is 15 mm across and 12 mm deep with a hole at the bottom). There's a choke at the side. I have metal screens that would have to be cut or folded to fit in the bowl. Should this pipe work for smoking DMT? Should I hold the choke closed the whole time I'm inhaling? Do I need the screens at all? How long should I hold the tokes in for?
(2) What's the best "substrate" for the DMT? I've heard a few recommendations: a bed of ash, a bed of marijuana, and a marijuana sandwich. Which of these works best? I understand the point is to vaporize the DMT without burning it and the marijuana shouldn't light, so what's the best way of doing this?
(3) What is tolerance to DMT like, i.e. how quickly does it build and dissipate? How about cross-tolerance? Specifically, can I take a dose of shrooms or acid and then smoke DMT as I'm coming up, or take shrooms or acid right after a DMT trip? I don't plan on doing this my first time, but I'm curious about the combination.
(4) How incapacitating is a DMT trip? I plan on smoking it outdoors in a secluded location alone. I have tripped alone outdoors on shrooms and acid before, but I know this is a different beast. Should I be seated? Is there a chance of me dropping the pipe?

you wont know your human

I'm going to take liberty to make a small adjustment to that claim -- in my experience, you know that you're human -- it's just that at the peak of the experience, basically your entire consciousness and attention can be taken by the sheer psychedelia, so that you simply aren't thinking about whether you're human or not.

I'm wasn't thinking about the fact that I'm a human being with arms and legs and eyes and ears when I wrote this post, because I was concentrating on something else -- I still knew that I was human though.

But, I would definitely skip the music during a DMT trip. I tried it once, it didn't work. As expected. The content of the DMT breakthrough involves you so completely on its own, that there's absolutely no room for external influence.

Last edited:
(4) How incapacitating is a DMT trip? I plan on smoking it outdoors in a secluded location alone. I have tripped alone outdoors on shrooms and acid before, but I know this is a different beast. Should I be seated? Is there a chance of me dropping the pipe?

You won't drop the pipe, or do anything stupid like lean back and smack your head against a tree. You still have a basic self-protective instinct. Don't count on being able to do anything requiring fine motor control like putting your pipe in a protective cover bag and zipping it up. I haven't done it standing up, but that would be asking for trouble -- I'd advise sitting.

Smoke MORE than you think you need to -- the rush is so fast that people always think "whoa, I'm really in for it now", but in actuality, that's almost as high as you're going to be for the entire trip. You're going to want to aim to finish off the entire 50mg if you can. Smoke it quickly!

As for a substrate: steel wool! (Scouring pad.)

As for a substrate: steel wool! (Scouring pad.)
So I should cut out a piece of steel wool to fit in my bowl, then sprinkle the DMT over that? Do I need to put anything over the hole at the bottom of the bowl? Do you have any advice on my other questions - should I hold the choke closed, and how long should I keep the tokes in for? How about tolerance with acid or shrooms? Thanks for your help.

So I should cut out a piece of steel wool to fit in my bowl, then sprinkle the DMT over that?

Yep. I use a little ball of it large enough to fill most of my bowl. Before smoking off of the scouring pad, you MUST hold it over a flame with tongs, preferably a very hot flame like that of a gas stovetop. This accomplishes two things: A) verification that the steel wool is thick enough to withstand high heat without bursting into flame, and B) pre-vaporization of any additives or contaminants in the steel wool, so that you will NOT be inhaling them when you smoke the DMT. Makes sense, right?

When you go to smoke the DMT, you have to be really careful not to apply too much heat! This stuff burns very easily, creating a harsh and acrid smoke that is not as effective. It can also easily catch fire! You're aiming to slowly melt the DMT crystals into the steel wool, and then gradually boil it off as you're drawing air through the pipe.

You must do two things to achieve this. First, purse your lips to create a slow, steady, constant airflow: if you don't, wavering pressure in your breath pulls the flame to quickly dance in and out of the bowl, creating intermittent intervals of high heat rather than continuous low heat, which creates a burnt smoke. Second, and this should be obvious, remember to keep the flame high enough above the bowl for a gentle vaporization.

Do I need to put anything over the hole at the bottom of the bowl?

Nope. The liquified DMT will cling to the steel wool fibers via surface tension, and will not drip down through the hole.

Do you have any advice on my other questions - should I hold the choke closed, and how long should I keep the tokes in for?

Yeah, I always hold the choke closed. You don't want to spend too much time holding in your hits, because you'll start to trip while you're smoking it, which will obviously make it much more challenging, and will actually prevent you from getting as high. After you've taken a full toke, I'd recommend to count to five-mississippi, and then exhale and take your next toke.

How about tolerance with acid or shrooms?

DMT works really well at the peak of an acid trip, and although I haven't tried it I'm positive that it will work well on mushrooms as well. However, if you've recently reached the end of a psychedelic journey, I advise waiting at least until you feel totally recovered, if not giving it a good week.

I have made the machine and am about to use some DMT. I have two questions. Mine is made from a long, slender single-serve alcohol shot, with copper chore boy stuffed at the spout end, and a small 1/4 in hole on the reverse side.

--- Do I want to use a Bic lighter, or a "torch" lighter, which produces a blue flame. I will obviously be holding it well above the spout when inhaling.

--- Also, is it best to melt the DMT onto the copper first, without sucking, or to melt it and vape it in one step, while inhaling. I am afraid to melt the DMT onto it first because I'm unsure if it will immediately turn to vapor or not, and if it does, I better be sucking.

^ You can't melt and vape at the same time, because the bowl of the machine is face-down during vaping / inhalation -- loose crystal would fall right out. Don't worry, you'll easily be able to carefully regulate the heat during melting.

I haven't ever used a torch lighter, but I would assume that they're better for careful and steady vaping, because the flame is more stable.

Yeah, I was going to lay down and have "the machine" stick up straight like a smokestack when melting / vaping. But doing it in steps makes sense. Plus, once melted, holding the machine upside down I imagine would assist in getting all since hot vapor rises.