• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What's the difference between knowledge and wisdom?

I like what ninja said also.........
I would say that knowledge can be learned in books and from other people( but not only in this way obviously) and wisdom is knowledge learned through experience........?

many people are considered intelligent because they are very knowlegeable

that's not my view of intelligence

a wise person is intelligent because s/he can get lessons from her/his knowledge or even deduce ideas from pure thinking rather than from learned things

knowledge is mainly stuck to repeating while wisdom is open to innovation

Knowledge comes from the mind, while wisdom comes from our infinite consciousness. Mind and Consciousness are not the same things; I, my true conscious self, am only having the experience of capstone, while it is not all that I am.

For instance, a person must be very knowledgeable to build an atomic bomb, but it is not wise to do so.

Before I give away my two cents on this topic, I'd first like to apologize for not reading all of the reply's to this thread. So if I say somthing similar to what someone else has said, great minds think alike eh? ;) Well, getting back to the topic at hand, I have a firm belief that knowledge is more along the lines of knowing what somthing is, but haveing no experience with it; however I think you can only gain wisdom about a certian subject through experience with it. Like the old saying goes wisdom comes with age, and what comes with age; experience. :)

Great topic by the way. ^_^

knowledge... is what comes after an experience of duality. one sees the color green, and only knows that they see the color green because they see red and blue and other colors.
it can be stated. things of knowledge can be called facts.

wisdom on the other hand cannot just be called a fact. it is the application of knowledge that fits any number of circumstances. it is another word for good judgement, taking what you know and making a decision that does not conflict with the facts or truths (had all been known, and knowing that you cannot know all of them still making a decision that is congruent with all truth).

"Knowledge" is a cake recipe. "Wisdom" is knowing that that recipe is only part of the equation and that baking the cake requires much more than a list of ingredients and steps.

Together Knowledge and Wisdom are merely 2/3rds of the equation. You also need "Understanding" and the difference between Wisdom and Understanding is a key distinction.

in one word: praxis

wisdom is internalized knowledge, ie. knowledge that is not viewed as distinct from oneself.

I agree, gnosis (knowledge) is internalised through praxis into Sophia - wisdom is the admixture of lots of knowledge and lots of 'living' that knowledge.

We often point to our elders as wise as they have had enough time to attain a more perfect gnosis, though trial and error, experience, and broad-based knowledge, all of which become greater than the sum of its parts, and is transformed into sophia (wisdom).

Together Knowledge and Wisdom are merely 2/3rds of the equation. You also need "Understanding" and the difference between Wisdom and Understanding is a key distinction.

This is a beautiful point.

Knowledge is information, wisdom is the ability to properly apply that knowledge in real world situations.

tl; dnr

Knowledge comes from books. Wisdom comes from age.