• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What LSD Taught Me

Ever since I tripped on LSD, I have had this huge appetite for knowledge in all subjects, mainly math and physics type.

I also look at everything in a mathmatical-analytical-organized way, its almost as if my brain operates like a calulator.

What did LSD teach you?
<3

haha same exact shit for me man

That being a genuine person, and being true to yourself, is underappreciated.

You're not going to get anywhere putting all of your energy into constructing a facade of the person you wish you were.

^Second that. Lucy has had that same effect on me.

I also found that i am able to appreciate the smaller things in life more, rather than take them for granted mostly my surroundings, i have a great love for all things natural now. Art is something i have a great intrest in now, thank you LSD for all you have taught me =D

I've often struggled to put into words, or find some sort of analogy as to what kind of long-lasting effect psychedelics has on you, and I've found this to be the best one:

The fish is the last thing to learn about water. It swims in it all day and night, and knows of nothing else. So, when the fish crawls out of the water for a brief moment, and looks back at it and realizes its existence, he's touched in a large way and will never forget about water, and the fact that there is something else besides.

People are conditioned to believe in one reality, the one they live in. So when they take LSD and see an alternate reality or even the doorway to one for a few hours, they can never forget for the rest of their lives that there is more out there than what they can perceive.

I like this analogy because it falls in line with Plato's "allegory of the cave".

LSD has taught me that our perceivable reality is a paradox created by symbiotic contrast. Change is the only constant. The answer is there is no answer. We are all one and infinity is a singularity.

holy shit.............. same here now I believe it 10 times more fuck

Ever since I tripped on LSD, I have had this huge appetite for knowledge in all subjects, mainly math and physics type.

Ha, if anything LSD has reduced my appetite for scientific knowledge since there is potentially an infinite number of facts and I can't possibly know them all.

LSD taught me to appreciate the yin & the yang, allowed me to come to a more wholesome understanding of my sexuality and showed me that transience is the only quality inherent to anything

LSD taught me that drugs don't give you spiritual changes, you do. LSD and other psychedelics are only tools to opening your mind. also LSD's effects on spiritual thought is just an effect of the drug, you have to "use" what you feel on it and know what it really is, you can't expect it to do all the work for you.

however, i would not have known that if i didn't try LSD.

Ha, if anything LSD has reduced my appetite for scientific knowledge since there is potentially an infinite number of facts and I can't possibly know them all.

Well, to be specific:

Science isn't really an amalgamation of facts, as it is commonly interpreted by popular culture. It's an ongoing process of inquiry into the underlying nature of reality through systematic, verifiable methods.

The phrase "scientific fact" is actually an oxymoron, because to be labeled as such, it would have to generate reproducible results greater than an infinite number of times, which is impossible.

Ok, now I'm gunna go off on a little tangent here. What you said was short-sighted, and I'll try my best to explain why.

The existence of an infinite number of "facts" would mean very little, even if it were true.

To understand why, we need to be very precise about how we define "infinite". You see, non-finite conditions fall into 2 principle categories: discretely infinite, and continuously infinite.

A discretely infinite set is an an amalgamation of individual, differentiable quantized units. Whereas a continuously infinite set is not built from indivisible units, but instead can be subdivided without boundaries (a much more complicated case).

An excellent example of a discrete infinite system is human language: you can have a 2 word sentence, a 3 word sentence, even a 500 word sentence; but you can never have a 3.5 word sentence, or a 2.777777778 word sentence, etc.

So now to my actual point:

It's not impossible to make sense out of an infinite number of facts, because a "fact" is a quantized unit. You can have 1 fact, or a billion facts, but you cannot have 1/2 of a fact, or 1/3 of a fact, etc. This is definitely a discretely infinite set.

With a discretely infinite system, you can logically exploit the basic indivisibility of its unit constituents to elucidate the overall structure of the system.

Think about a fractal for a second. A fractal is a discretely infinite system: it is composed of basic, indivisible units that exist in a relationship of unbounded recursion. If you've ever seen a picture of a cool fractal, you should understand what I mean: you don't have to view the fractal structure in it's non-bounded entirety to get the gist of the picture, you only need to see a small portion of the entire infinite recursion to understand the pattern: because you can see how the indivisible units within the pattern are related.

In the same way: even if mankind possessed a body of facts that was growing without boundary, it would not be necessary to know every single fact to get a fairly thorough understanding of the structure of reality. Provided that you are able to find a mechanism through which the facts are related, you can condense the entire infinite system into one single communicable idea.

The goal of scientific progress is not to amass charts, tables, and books of raw information. The goal is simplification: ie, how can we pull all this random crap together into some sort of basic, communicable notion?

Sorry to have gone off on such a tangent here, but I felt compelled to demonstrate that 'knowledge' is very different from 'information', and the volume and/or complexity of information seldom dictates the level of difficulty inherent to understanding it.

I've often struggled to put into words, or find some sort of analogy as to what kind of long-lasting effect psychedelics has on you, and I've found this to be the best one:

The fish is the last thing to learn about water. It swims in it all day and night, and knows of nothing else. So, when the fish crawls out of the water for a brief moment, and looks back at it and realizes its existence, he's touched in a large way and will never forget about water, and the fact that there is something else besides.

People are conditioned to believe in one reality, the one they live in. So when they take LSD and see an alternate reality or even the doorway to one for a few hours, they can never forget for the rest of their lives that there is more out there than what they can perceive.

Agree +1

My graduation quote in my HS year book was "Fish don't know they're under water." for this exact reason :p

LSD taught me to appreciate the yin & the yang, allowed me to come to a more wholesome understanding of my sexuality and showed me that transience is the only quality inherent to anything

I know this is an LSD topic, but I've never done LSD. Only shrooms.

I find that B.S. (before shrooms, also bullshit) I believed in science. I was an atheist. Now I've discovered that science doesn't prove anything but help us understand the limited rules set in this world.

It would be like creating a computer simulation, and having little smart things inside the simulation try to prove the meaning of existence using facts restricted by the laws of the simulation. Its simply impossible.

Here's a good metaphor. Let's say you were chained to a post in a foggy area. Behind this "fog" lied a machine (like a pump or something I don't know, be creative). This machine represented the truth, the real truth, reality. You cannot SEE this reality, you can only see things that LOOK like they're connected to it through the fog.

In this metaphor, science would be a series of pipes, connecting through to fog to the reality machine. Scientists find the best way to make it look like the pipes connect through fog to the reality machine, but we can never know for sure, since we can't see past the fog.

Psychedelics don't "clear" the fog in any way, they only make us aware of the fact that there is fog.

In the same way: even if mankind possessed a body of facts that was growing without boundary, it would not be necessary to know every single fact to get a fairly thorough understanding of the structure of reality. Provided that you are able to find a mechanism through which the facts are related, you can condense the entire infinite system into one single communicable idea.

I think I understand where you are coming from, correct me if my argument doesn't pertain to yours. Here's my argument:

Just because you have a body of facts, and they all point to one "truth", doesn't mean that's the real truth. It's only the truth that these facts point to.

For instance, lets say a few scientists live in a 2D world. They see an arrow pointing in a direction. There start to gather more "facts" and find out all the arrows they find seem to intersect at one point - and no arrows DEFY this. The scientists can then conclude that this "point" is the true fact.

However, they can never be 100% certain because, in the 3rd dimension, the 2d plane may just intersect a 3d function at some point, and the actual perceived point is all along that function. Yet, from the perspective of the 2D scientist, thats all he can see, thats all he can understand and thats all he needs to understand. There's nothing more to learn. Its only a fact because it fits his 2D world and all his other facts like a glove, but he's not considering the fact that there may be MORE facts in places he can't perceive that contradict his facts.

In terms of our world: I can say a god created all the science, and you could never prove that wrong, because even though your facts point in one direction, it doesn't mean that's all there is.

I hope it's clear. It's really late and my explaining is pretty lame at the moment.

Last edited:
^^^^^ Very very powerful metaphors, inspiring, I knew this more clearly in the past, your words bring me back to a time when I was first understanding the power of individual perspective and the power of ones own metaphors `per se`in and of themselves. outstanding!

LSD to me also represents counter culture and really gets me on a hop about conspiracies, such as the categorization of all substances into the little box `drugs`and really has me questioning the motivations of institution...to me LSD is rebellion...sexy, fearless rebellion.

Last edited: