Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

LSD and Blood Pressure... Is it safe?

psychonaut013

Greenlighter
Hey Forum...

Question for everyone who can help.

I have looked far and wide for this info, with no results anywhere.

Just wondering if:

1 - LSD, is it safe to use whilst on Blood Pressure meds (coversyl)
2 - Would it raise the blood pressure to a ridiculous level.

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, plant matter, I know. But LSD is something I have wanted to take, yet never have due to the low quality going around Melbourne (and my ignorance to the chemical).

Thanks.

Tough call; everything I can find on the subject suggests LSD causes increased body temperature, pulse and respiratory rates, systolic and diastolic blood pressure but I can't find much info noting to what degree. I'm not having much luck finding any papers where the full text is free to the public and ended up with a bunch of weird experimental reports from the 50's & 60's involving injecting LSD-25 into cats in quantities of up to 100ug/kg. Crazy stuff...

I won't disagree with the increased heart rate & blood pressure. I've never had my blood presure measured while on acid though so have no idea by how much it would affect it. I don't think it'd be in the same ball-park as say DMT or cocaine, and certainly not "a ridiculous level".

How it would interact with coversyl? I have no idea & am going to leave this open to our more knowledgable bluelighters :)

Last edited:
Hey Forum...

Question for everyone who can help.

I have looked far and wide for this info, with no results anywhere.

Just wondering if:

1 - LSD, is it safe to use whilst on Blood Pressure meds (coversyl)
2 - Would it raise the blood pressure to a ridiculous level.

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, plant matter, I know. But LSD is something I have wanted to take, yet never have due to the low quality going around Melbourne (and my ignorance to the chemical).

Thanks.

1. We arnt doctors (well most of us anyways)
2. It can change ur blood pressure up or down.

I think its best if u seek a doctors advice about this one.

Personally, I would approach this with great caution.

Interactions
Agents affecting sympathetic activity. As the sympathetic nervous system plays an important part in physiological blood pressure regulation, caution should be exercised with concomitant administration of a drug with sympathetic activity and perindopril.

LSD is a partial agonist at DA and NE receptors, and likely also a beta adreno inhibitor. These and other actions could result in altering the efficacy of ACE inhibitors. There's also a possibility of anxiety produced from LSD and the effect that would have on HR/BP. There's certainly potential for hypertensive crises.

fwiw, a friend relayed a story to me about a guy who took LSD in a bar she was working at and later died from a heart attack after suffering hypertensive crisis.

Just on the medication; If the person is prescribed an ACE inhibitor, then in all likelihood the condition/s associated with high BP are somewhat advanced, or at least don't respond well to diuretics, Ca channel blockers or beta blockers; these usually being the first drugs prescribed to treat high BP. Whether the cause of this high BP is physical e.g. renal blood flow related, tumours, age etc, or emotional, the severity of the condition should be well considered before deciding to use LSD - in my opinion at least.

If the person is determined to use, then at least constantly monitor HR/BP during and following the trip.

Going into a trip with this on your mind will most certainly increase the chance of an anxious panic attack. I'm not too sure on the whole blood pressure side of it but from experience, this causes your heart to operate in a crazy delirium. Make sure you have something on hand to combat thus side of things if you decided to go through with it.

Just on the medication; If the person is prescribed an ACE inhibitor, then in all likelihood the condition/s associated with high BP are somewhat advanced, or at least don't respond well to diuretics, Ca channel blockers or beta blockers; these usually being the first drugs prescribed to treat high BP.

ACE inhibitors are commonly used as first line. ACE-Is or CCBs (and thiazide diuretics in older ppl) are recommended equally for initial treatment. Beta blockers shouldn't be used first line any more.

In general I pretty much agree with what others have said. There doesn't seem to be enough literature about this to make an educated decision, but purely theoretically there is potential for danger. Realistically this is probably low if your hypertension is mild, but the risk is there. If you do take it, I recommend: don't dose too high, be in a safe and comfortable environment with a sober sitter, and seek help if things go bad. You'll be fine ;)

Well, I know of 3 people (different drs) including myself, aged between 35 -52 that were recently prescribed a diuretic as first line therapy.

My regimen went, indapamide (naturalix) for 4 weeks while monitoring BP 2x daily, but as that had little to no effect after the first week, I was switched to a beta blocker (I'm now on 2x 25mg Attenolol/day, which I might add is only moderately effective). My doc - one who has worked worldwide from third world countries to the UAE, stated the current thinking in treating high BP is first a diuretic -->beta blockers --> ACE inhibitors. One of the 3 people I mentioned, one presented with an initial BP of 220/180. Aged in his mid 30s, he was prescribed a diuretic and Sotalol (Cardol).

Yeah I'm not saying they aren't used, just saying what is recommended in Australia (obviously there will be different guidelines all over the world). I know most doctors (esp. GPs) don't keep up on the latest advice so I was more getting at the fact that you can't really tell what stage of hypertension treatment someone is at while on monotherapy.

This is a really interesting topic, From what I've read online and here it seems like the biggest risk that LSD would pose to yourself would be if the trip went awry. There are ways to counter that but as heythatsmybike said if you were entering a trip with this on your mind chances are it will have negative effect on your mindset and will cause a bad trip.

To put your mind at ease it may be a good idea to ask your doctor if for no other reason but to put your mind at ease.

However in saying that Phase Dancer and Devine Moments seem to have it covered.

To put your mind at ease it may be a good idea to ask your doctor if for no other reason but to put your mind at ease.

tbh I'd be surprised if you could find a doctor who had any realistic idea of the physical effects of psychedelics :\... I doubt any GPs would. I don't even think most psychiatrists would know, though possibly some who have a special interest in illicit drugs. Probably some ED doctors who deal with acute intoxications would if they've seen that sort of thing before. Wouldn't be common though.

Anyway, I don't think asking your doctor would help. They'd likely just advise against it regardless of their knowledge or the evidence behind it. There'd be a massive risk of liability if they said anything to support using an illicit drug and something did happen.

Guys! Thank you so much on all this info! I am stunned that so many people here are willing to help and spend time offering their advice! Very impressed!

I think I may look into this a little further before trying anything. i would prefer something a little more purer than what I hear is going around, so I will keep my eyes and ears open to the streets. My BP is somewhat under control, and I will make sure before doing anything, I am in a great mood, and focused on enjoying the journey that is about to begin!

I hope this thread is helping other people with the same kind of issues as I have (High BP really limits you with any substance)...

Thanks again!!!!

(High BP really limits you with any substance)...

It certainly does. I have to really watch my coffee intake, salt, fluids, food..... I also have a recently prescribed course of selegiline I want to do, but it's totally out of the question at the moment :(

Get yourself a sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope, or an electronic version, and unless you have the dexterity to use it on your own, get a friend to test you at intervals throughout the trip. Sometimes bp can rise and you are hardly aware of it. I felt great this morning, quietly relaxing after 30 mins exercise, but 1/2 hour post workout my BP was 160/90, so you can't always tell.

I have high BP and haven't felt a change in my BP when on LSD though as p_d said, you don't always notice when it is elevated.

I have an electronic BP reader that also measures HR and irregular rhythm. It was not too pricey and definitely worth it.

I ended up in the emergency department one night as a result of high BP and a little harm minimisation for anyone who may end up in my situation. Don't let the drs/nursing staff give you a full angine tablet if its your first time taking the medication. It sent my BP crashing to 60/40 and my HR went through the roof to compensate. Of course I don't remember anything as I passed out and woke with a saline drip in to boost my circulating volume.

I work where i was treated, hmmm, maybe they want me dead.

The first time I had it, it gave me a really rapid heart beat and I got a bit scared for a while, that wasn't even a whole tab, be careful.

bump...

Personally, I would approach this with great caution.

LSD is a partial agonist at DA and NE receptors, and likely also a beta adreno inhibitor. These and other actions could result in altering the efficacy of ACE inhibitors. There's also a possibility of anxiety produced from LSD and the effect that would have on HR/BP. There's certainly potential for hypertensive crises.

fwiw, a friend relayed a story to me about a guy who took LSD in a bar she was working at and later died from a heart attack after suffering hypertensive crisis.

Just on the medication; If the person is prescribed an ACE inhibitor, then in all likelihood the condition/s associated with high BP are somewhat advanced, or at least don't respond well to diuretics, Ca channel blockers or beta blockers; these usually being the first drugs prescribed to treat high BP. Whether the cause of this high BP is physical e.g. renal blood flow related, tumours, age etc, or emotional, the severity of the condition should be well considered before deciding to use LSD - in my opinion at least.

If the person is determined to use, then at least constantly monitor HR/BP during and following the trip.

I know you're not around anymore but can someone tell me if this pretty much means dont take ACE inhibitors if you're gonna eat acid? what about beta-blockers? I'm currently only taking my atenolol, 50mg daily unless I use meth in which Ill take my lisinopril, 10mg because we all know you shouldnt mix beta-blockers with stimulants...

also, has anyone here measured their BP whilst tripping to see how much it increases by? I have stage 1 hypertension and Ill be eating acid next week... although I've tripped dozens of times before, I havnt whilst on my current medication and I dont know if I should mix it with the LSD

surely LSD doesnt increase your BP like meth does - of which I have used several times since being diagnosed with hypertension

should a reading of 145-155/80 unmediated be a concern for me when taking LSD?

Coversyl... LSD does raise BP and the higher the mcg dose the more it raises it... If I was on Coversyl I'd not touch pretty much all the drugs I do touch these days. That said it would be reasonably safe if you dose very low and don't panic whilst tripping (have a sitter or significant other). Perhaps a half tab of "quality" LSD (and there is some good stuff going around) dosed at approx 125 ug a tab so just over 50 ugs for a dose. Get some benzo's as well if you don't already have access to them just in case as they will lower your BP, cardiac rate etc. Be careful and dose LOW. I have a BP cuff and my normal bp is 120/70 ish. When tripping it can be as high as 140/90.

^^ thanks for the reply, ill reply in detail when I get back from work.. I g2g right now

4:13am - Jesus Christ pisspot, that's a fucking early start. I used to go to bed later than that!