• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

alcohol tolerance

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
i enjoy drinking socially but i always crash hella bad whenever i drink. even a few beers makes my eyes get heavy to the point where i can barely keep them open, and more than 4 or 5 drinks i almost always wind up passing out or puking. i'll be feelin good for a few hours then it always hits me like a brick wall. all the fun stops and my body rejects the alcohol. doesn't matter if i cut myself off or quit drinking. i hate it i feel like a bitch and outcasted. i read about how some asians lack the enzyme in their body that breaks down the alcohol and passes it through the body, so i'm guessing i am one of those asians. is there anything i can do to prevent myself from crashing or am i just fucked?

Try switching what you're drinking--I found with vodka, even after two or three shots, I'm puking and passing out. With rum, I can down half the bottle throughout the night. With certain beer (the cheap ones like Keystone and Jenny Light), I'm passing out and/or feeling sick after just a few beers. But ones that are a bit better (like Bud, Bud Light) I'm fine to drink 9+.

So, if you haven't tried switching up what you're drinking, try it. May even want to have something with sugar in it (like Mikes Hard Lemonade or somethin'). Though those make for one hell of a hangover.

i don't really drink that often so when i do im usually drinking something different. it really all hits me about the same to be honest. i noticed darker beers definitely give me a sleep drunk compared to piss beer like keystone.

i always get the "IM DRUNK" redface as soon as i can start to feel the alcohol. my friends call it 'the glow'. as i get drunker i start to turn pale tho. its almost like its my energy meter and as it starts to lighten it means im getting closer to puking, passing out, or blacking out. what causes my face to be flushed when i drink alcohol?

does exercise like weight lifting increase alcohol tolerance?

ya i found out my brother is allergic to alcohol and can't drink at all. i guess im mildly allergic to it as well. is there any way to reduce my bodys allergic reaction to it? i can build tolerance to alcohol which is why im not completely convinced im allergic to it. maybe more sensitive to it?

com212 does your slant eyed friend and my fellow red faced brother always crash out early or spill his guts on the sidewalks? i guess what im asking is he able to handle his alcohol? does he still like to drink even though he is allergic?

i enjoy drinking socially but i always crash hella bad whenever i drink. even a few beers makes my eyes get heavy to the point where i can barely keep them open, and more than 4 or 5 drinks i almost always wind up passing out or puking. i'll be feelin good for a few hours then it always hits me like a brick wall. all the fun stops and my body rejects the alcohol. doesn't matter if i cut myself off or quit drinking. i hate it i feel like a bitch and outcasted. i read about how some asians lack the enzyme in their body that breaks down the alcohol and passes it through the body, so i'm guessing i am one of those asians. is there anything i can do to prevent myself from crashing or am i just fucked?

Try milk thistle, it helps your liver break down the alcohol. It's been really effective for me, except my problem is godawful hangovers, so we're a bit different. Worth a try tho!

ha! us asians should be so lucky. we dont have to spend a grip to get fuuuuuuuuuuc'd up! :)

you said you dont drink often, so i think you answered your question. 'tolerance', by definition, is the act of getting used to something. whether a political belief, sexual orientation, or the amount of drugs and alcohol you consume. with that being said, the more exposure you have to something, the more "tolerant" you will become of it. just keep at it, young grasshopper, and sooner or later, you'll be a 12-pack in and wanting to hit up the corner store for more.

but i agree, it definitely is what you drink. i have a pretty good beer tolerance. i also have a good tolerance for bourbon or whiskey. but wine? clear alcohols like tequila, vodka, or rum? forget out it dude! im on the floor.

Try milk thistle, it helps your liver break down the alcohol. It's been really effective for me, except my problem is godawful hangovers, so we're a bit different. Worth a try tho!

Milk thistle is good, they also use that with some patients with varying forms of liver disease.

You could always opt for drinks with no alcohol or low alcohol content when out socialing. Another thing to maybe try is always have a glass of water in between your drinks.

I know if I drink any spirits I get red in the face quickly but I am fine on white wine or beer. I can drink red wine, but for some reason rose wine always makes me feel like burning up.

Maybe you should just not drink? Or perhaps you are drinking too quickly? It sounds like your body is telling you that alcohol is the poison it really is.

I know this is not a very "healthy" way to drink, but when I go out and drink I always have an energy drink beforehand which helps counteract the depressive effects of the alcohol. However, I have read quite a few articles which state combining energy drinks with alcohol is really bad for your heart and body. But, that hasn't stopped me yet...if I didn't drink an energy drink I would probably fall asleep.

Do you drink on a full or empty stomach? That can also make a big difference in how you feel.

Alcohol is one of the more toxic substances and so I think it is normally to not feel particularly well sometimes. Sometimes I can have 3 drinks and feel sick the next day, other days I can drink twice as much and not feel sick at all.

There's nothing wrong with drinking less than other people or not drinking at all :)

My Asian friend had this problem all throughout highschool, there is a solution!!!

Instead of getting really drunk and red-faced because of the allergic reaction, take a Pepcid AC about 45 minutes before drinking. This should help a lot with your reaction to alcohol. I have no idea why this works, but it does seem to help some.

Good Luck!

Alcohol metabolizes into acetaldehyde, upon first pass, and then into acetic acid (which can be metabolized to yield usable energy, making alcohol caloric). Some people (with a higher proportion among East Asians) have markedly low levels of the enzyme that metabolizes acetaldehyde into acetic acid (and some, alcohol dehydrogenase too, which metabolizes ethanol into acetaldehyde).

So accumulation of acetaldehyde causes many hangover-like symptoms, including facial flushing and ill feelings. I suggest drinking less per sitting. I don't think that there are viable enzymatic treatments.

ebola