• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

AMT and SSRI's

love_sex_desire

Bluelighter
I am wondering what the possible risks are when ingesting AMT while on paxil.

My gf takes 30 mg of paxil and I have recently obtained AMT freebase and she would like to try it with me.

I have advised her not to take any because I have not found any information on taking AMT while on an SSRI.

She will most likely also be taking a thyorid medication in the foreseeable future as she has a family history of thyroid problems and has lost considerable weight since she started taking paxil. I don't know if that will add to the risks but any info or even speculation is greatly appreciated.

The only time I ever did AMT, I was also on 150mg/day Effexor.
I didn't take my dose of effexor that day, for fear of it blocking the effects of AMT (or even worse, causing serotonin syndrome or something).

I still had a great time on AMT.
There were no visual effects, but the mental effects were profound.

You know that feeling after you get done crying about something, and you have this sort of "Hey, its really not so bad, its going to be alright"/"Being content with the future" feeling? AMT while on effexor was like that feeling, except it lasted for 9 hours.

PS, the dose I took was around 30mg, give/take 10mg -- this is just based on what appeared to be the "amount of powder" in the little clear capsule I had.

PSS, I also had klonopin for the comedown, which I took after about 5 hours of the drug being in effect. I was too worried about AMT having an adverse reaction with Effexor, so I took the klonopin just to be on the safe side.

Also, another thing I noticed is that when visual hallucinations/alterations did occur, it was hard to differentiate them from reality - or at least more difficult to differentiate from reality compared to mushrooms or something similar.

Last edited:
After a little bit of research, I think it is important for anyone considering trying AMT to realize that it is also an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor).
Meaning that it could be dangerous to mix with any anti-depressant, SSRI, SNRI, or serotonin/dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor/reverser.
If mixed with an SSRI (such as paxil), it has the potential to cause serotonin toxicity - resulting from excess levels of serotonin, and having symptoms similar to that of a high fever.

Serotonin toxicity is rarely fatal, but the possibility still exists (about a 10% chance of fatality).

Keep hydrated, and avoid foods with tyramine in them such as aged cheese; foods which would normally be avoided on an MAOI.

Last edited:
AMT is an extremely weak MAOI; however, it is one nevertheless and would not react well with an SSRI.

Having said that, I know someone who is on a low daily dose of an SSRI, and has no problems at all with sensible and occassional use of AMT.

Good luck, but probably best avoiding the combo if at all possible.

I second this. If you are taking a medication to maintain a mental health issue you would be better off avoiding using drugs. Maybe some other people have been on a SSRI and have had an OK time on AMT, but who is to say that the same will be true for you? You may be opening a Pandora's box here.

Ultimately, the decision lies with you. I know I've taken some silly risks in my past and I have survived, but it wasn't a cakewalk. In my personal experience, combining psychiatric medications with research chemicals and other drugs isn't always a smart idea. Whatever you do, do some more research online, ask some more questions, and take a long time to think about it before you make your final decision. If you go into it, make sure that you are comfortable with doing it.

AMT is an extremely weak MAOI; however, it is one nevertheless and would not react well with an SSRI.

Having said that, I know someone who is on a low daily dose of an SSRI, and has no problems at all with sensible and occassional use of AMT.

I appreciate the response and if you have the ability or the time I'd love more info.

My gf is on paxil for depression. The paxil has worked great and she has eradicated most of her depression. I understand taking psychedelics while having depression is not necessarily a good idea, but she finds psychedelic to be highly therapeutic and they have helped alleviate her anxiety and depression and put her issues into perspective. LSD has been highly successful in providing her insight into her anxiety and depression and she has gained insight into seperating her psyche and body as well as her emotions.

AMT having been used as an anti-depressant especially interests her due to the therapeutic use of the psychedelic attributes of AMT as well as the anti-depressant attributes of AMT.

If you can provide info on the dose your friend used while on an SSRI and what SSRI he/she was using and what dose he was using I would appreciate any info possible.

To promote harm reduction this is NOT recommended I understand, but AMT is as weak an MAOI as amphetamine, but due to its other serotenergic effects it could be more dangerous than amphetamine and SSRI's.

In all likelihood she will probably not be doing AMT while on paxil, but she might try a low dose of 5-10 mg.

Any responses is greatly appreciated and to make it clear to anyone reading, combining AMT with SSRI's is definitely not recommended!

Thanks for everyones input.