PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DOI for Arthritis: A Daily Journal

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Hi Bluelight!

PREFACE:
I'm 20 years old and I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in all my joints except my fingers, toes and spine. Besides various vitamins and supplements, I've been taking Enbrel, a TNFalpha-inhibitor, since last Fall for the RA.

Over the past year or two I've noticed that nearly every time I trip--whether its DMT, mushrooms, mescaline, peyote, I notice that my inflammation goes down during the trip. With a little internet research I came across this study:

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/327/2/316.abstract?cited-by=yes&legid=jpet;327/2/316

So a while ago I took .5mg of DOI once per two days over a 4-day period and noticed an extreme reduction in inflammation and a dramatic increase in mobility and energy (fatigue is another symptom of RA). Unfortunately that was all the DOI I had. But now, I have lots! And so I begin my experiment of using subthreshold doses of DOI for RA symptom alleviation.

~75mg was dissolved into 320 drops of tap water, so

One drop equals about .23mg of DOI.

Inflammation level measured on a scale of 0-10, 0 being no inflammation, 10 being unable to walk or function.

JOURNAL:

Days -31 thru 0 - Steadily going from a 4 to a 5.

June 9th - Day 1
11:00am - 2 drops taken. I'm at a 5
7:00pm - slight body high, still 5

Day 2
No redosing
Still at a 5. Definitely not worse though. I can feel it working, but there is a lot of inflammation to be dealt with :\

Day 3
Woke up still at a 5
12pm- 1 drop taken
By the end of the day, right hip got inflamed, pushing me up to a 6 (not good)

Day 4
Woke up at 10am and took 1 drop. If this 6 doesn't subside, I think 2 drops may be a more effective dose.
3pm- Shit shit shit shit. Just realized I am 3 days late with my weekly Enbrel shot. So... yes... this is not a variable controlled experiment by any means.

Day 5
Woke up at 11:30 feeling a 6 and took 3 drops.
7pm-feeling a 4

Day 6
Woke up at 11:30 feeling a 6 again, perhaps a 7. Took 1 Drop.

Day 7
Took nothing, remained at a 7

Day 8
Took 1 drop

Day 9
Took 1 drop

Day 10
Took 0 Drops

Day 11
1 Drop

Day 12
1 Drop

June 24, 2012:

Big update. I stopped daily microdosing, though occasionally I dose between .125mg and .5mg of DOI for symptom relief. I stopped because

a) tolerance builds
b) constant sub-threshold psychological effects were draining
c) inflammation almost invariably returned after the DOI wore off

However, it works very well as occasional 24-hour symptomatic relief, quite potent and devoid of the side-effects typical with NSAIDs, steroids and DMARDS (methotrexate, enbrel).

More research, please!

Last edited:
Well this is really interesting.

I wounder what will happen with tolerance, if you will need more to function.

Why did you dissolve so much?
Do you have any left to try other "methods" ?

Something you might to look in to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

Last edited:
Wow, I am extremely interested in this. I also have arthritis (ankylosing spondylitis) and Crohn's Disease, and I've been on TNF inhibitors for the past 4 years.

Thank you for drawing my attention to this study, and I will definitely follow this thread.

I wish you the best of luck with this treatment!

I think this is an awesome thread

Might wanna be careful having it dissolved in tap water though as things May try to grow.

Unfortunately, I dumped all I had into the tap water. NYC tap water, to be specific. I'm crossing my fingers that that won't change it too much.

well...I suppose if you don't mind diluting it some you could add a lil alcohol. Otherwise yea, may be fine. I hope this works well for you man.

new york city, duh.

and dude, next time use bottled water with no chlorine to be safe.
i dunno about how DOI degrades but cant be too careful

Adrian,

He should just be able to boil it in the microwave for ten minutes if necessary, but yes, keep it cold.

OP: If you get yourself hurt I'm so going to kick your ass. Did you like the note to the USPS? :D

-TMM

Alternatively, just boiling a larger thing of water on the stove and dropping your sealed bottle into it for a while should be fine.

Adrian,

He should just be able to boil it in the microwave for ten minutes if necessary, but yes, keep it cold.

OP: If you get yourself hurt I'm so going to kick your ass. Did you like the note to the USPS? :D

-TMM

I would think that quantitiy of heat would harm the DOI.

Buy some 95% alcohol and mix in with the solution so it's a 50/50mix of alcohol and tap water, then you will need to take 4drops instead of 2.

My mother has survear arthritis, and her mother had really bad arthritis. So having to help them for most of my life I am interested in this study,
unfortunately mum has never taken a psychedelic in her life and even if you do find this beneficial, i doubt she would be interested in trying it.

I do not know much about the chemistry of DOI, but the link you posted mentions mostly the (r) isomer of DOI, do you know how prevalent the r-ismoer is in your batch of DOI?

If you could also record what times you take the DOI and if you have any difficulty sleeping at night because of DOI's long halflife that would be appreciated aswell.

I do not know whether the r-isomer is present in this batch or not. My guess is not, unfortunately. This is definitely a layman's experiment. I have to make do with what I have access to.

Also, I've been having no trouble getting to sleep or getting enough sleep at night. I've even been able to take naps in the day. I've been taking it in the morning.

LOW-DOSE DOI FOR INFLAMMATION & FATIGUE

So. Here are my conclusions:

Low-dose DOI (.25mg-.5mg) is a wonderful tool for those suffering from chronic inflammation or a similar type of auto-immune condition. It almost invariably counteracts fatigue, cuts down inflammation, reduces pain, and increases general energy flow. It also seemed to be a mood-boost as well, but after about 2 weeks frequent use (about every other day) this effect slowly turned into a general mental tension (possibly due to the expectation and attachment to the mood-lift).

Throughout 4 weeks, low-dose DOI continued to give relatively long lasting symptom-relief (just .25mg-.5mg would last the entire day if taken upon waking up), which arguably makes it a safer and more desirable symptom-reducer in comparison with NSAIDS (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which have toxic effects on the liver and digestive system.

I have found that the most effective and comfortable way to use this drug is to not do it 2 days in a row, but rather every other day or 3 times a week, or as needed.

.25mg = slight energy lift, noticeable inflammation reduction
.50mg = definite energy lift, slight mood lift, inflammation reduction lasting ~24 hours. Not recommended for people who have trouble getting to sleep at night.

Low-dose DOI of course does not address the underlying problem of autoimmune disorders, which in my case is most likely Lymes Disease. Do not become content with symptom-masking!!! Make real effort to solve the root cause!

PS- Although DOI seems the most ideal drug for the intended purposes, other drugs have inflammation-reducing, fatigue-reducing qualities, but are less ideal because of problems of duration, mental effects and body load. These drugs include mescaline, mushrooms and DMT, and are probably not limited to those. Once again, refer to the study in the OP.

Thanks for the follow up! Do you intend to continue on low-dose DOI therapy?

I'm not sure what you mean about addressing the underlying problem of autoimmune disorders, aren't most autoimmune disorders genetic? I know mine is.

I could foresee daily dosing on DOI to be problematic due to 5-HT2B agonism affecting the heart, but the extremely small dose, this may not be too bad. I'd still look for other methods of treatment that are more researched for chronic usage.

Thanks for the follow up! Do you intend to continue on low-dose DOI therapy?

I'm not sure what you mean about addressing the underlying problem of autoimmune disorders, aren't most autoimmune disorders genetic? I know mine is.

a) Just because something is "genetic" doesn't mean it isn't reversible. Genes can either be expressed or not expressed. Change does happen.

b) Lymes disease triggers an auto-immune response. Once the spirochetes are eliminated, the body can return to healthy function.

I'm not doing the DOI therapy as often anymore, because I haven't had to. I'd use it on days when I couldn't really function without it (physically), but I've been feeling better lately.

Also, the mental effects that I now get from it aren't that desirable. Makes me feel vaguely unsettled. Though that is absolutely subjective. It could just be that I'm in an unsettling stage in my life right now (i've got arthritis and I'm 21!) and the DOI is bringing that out a little bit.

I could foresee daily dosing on DOI to be problematic due to 5-HT2B agonism affecting the heart, but the extremely small dose, this may not be too bad. I'd still look for other methods of treatment that are more researched for chronic usage.

How does 5-HT2B agonism affect the heart exactly? I've felt fine...

Fascinating.

I'd be interested to know if this is transferable to something else, like DOM for example :).