• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

tobala

When I first joined BL, I remember reading his posts because of his alfred e. neuman avatar (I used to collect 1950's-1960's mad magazines). He was a senior moderator back then. I never really spoke with him because he was one of the cool kids, and I was a bit intimidated by him (a feeling of mine that never stopped, I am sorry to say). I admire the way he spoke of women. He was a true gentleman.

this breaks my heart :(

tobala reached out to me on several occasions and i always enjoyed talking to him. he was such a sweet, compassionate person with boundless wit and insight, he was definitely one of the most respected members of the site. i still can't believe it...

RIP friend <3

we had our FIRST exchange just a few days before this (it seems like) happened. He just randomly friend requested me and i was like hi whats going on and now he's dead. it really bothered me, i even cried about it and i don't even know him that well, but he was so sweet and seemed so awesome.

:(

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 tobala

Tobala... you were a sweet, wonderful person who had nothing but kindness in your heart. You will be missed by so many. :(

RIP <3

rest in peace tobala. i didn't know you too well but your contribution to this site was more than evident to me.

<3

Last edited:
Tobala,

Thank you for your wisdom, your counsel, and most of all your friendship over the years. I can't believe it was just last week we had one of our phone marathons - it's all so hard to process.

Thank you for your contribution to Bluelight as well. Here, you showed the same dedication, wit, and ability to give and take jokes while approaching serious matters with a level of professional competency rarely seen anywhere.

I backed up your birthday text to me congratulating me on getting to 30, a day on which you made me feel particularly special and like age was just a number. I knew you were a true friend well before that time, but you really made me feel special that day. Your humor helped me not take myself so seriously - never once did you fail to make me laugh.

No matter what we were talking about or from where, you always understood. You always kept your innate sense of tact, yet you told it like it is. I remember calling you back from my favorite bookstore EVER when I was in a hilariously awkward situation and noticed you'd called. I had to step outside to talk to you so I wouldn't disturb the other patrons with my laughter at the jokes we made. You were the older brother I never had, man, and it hurts like anything to lose you for so many of us, not just me.

I'm sad that you won't get to visit the Great Western Frontier with me and that in this lifetime we won't get to go through the Cascades and Sierras as we might have otherwise. For now, know that you got me through one of the roughest times of my life and I will be forever grateful for your confidence in me. You're through to the other side now. You are needed here and I will miss you, but maybe you're needed somewhere else more. We understand that. Maybe we don't totally get it, but on some level, we understand.

A mutual friend and I honored your memory through the lighting of a candle and swapping anecdotes about our conversations last night. We were laughing with you; I know it. I promise you and yours that you will be remembered.

I'm privileged to have been your friend during your lifetime and hopefully beyond. If you can watch over me and all of us, would you please? Remind us of what is important. Remind us that we need to take care of each other, not just "ourselves first" - you lived for others as much as, if not more than, yourself. That is the quality I think I respected in you most. I'll do my best to carry it forward.

Blessings to you, your family, and anyone whose life you ever touched, my elder brother. Thank you for everything you did for all of us. I will miss you so.

<3

Oh, man, why?

A lovely person has gone: I do recall some of his first statements on Bluelight, and being amused and entertained by the voice of a gentle and caring guy. He took a huge risk with ibogaine, and came out on top. Doing so, he left a huge incentive to others: 'You can change your life...'

This is so sad. So sad. :(

Tobala, I hope you rest now with peace and calm. I know I'll see you basketballing your way through hyperspace, and then we'll discover the meaning of it all together. Godspeed and 11 blessings upon you. Thank-you for existing; thank you, Life, for letting atoms fall in such a way to make this guy; Life, reclaim the atoms, and start afresh.

The soul of the gentle might now be released. <3<3<3 Eternity of love....

This is a huge and devastating loss to not only Bluelight but every part of the world and every person this great man touched in his life. He was such a beautiful soul and it just seems so unfair that he was taken before his time. I am absolutely heartbroken :(

Thank you to everyone who is sharing their beautiful stories involving tobala. He never had a bad word to say about anybody, and he made everyone who he spoke to feel special. He will live on forever in our memories and in our hearts.

R.I.P tobala <3

His family and friends are in my thoughts, as is everyone on here who is hurting. Much love <3

My interactions with tobala here and in other forums have been limited, but he's always been a constant presence. It's only now that he's gone that I truly feel the respect I have for him.

Thanks for sharing that L*L*

<3 I planted some morning glory flowers outside under my cherry tree for Tobala today. Touching the earth and thinking of him beginning a new journey today felt very cathartic. Im quite shaken up by this, I imagine many of us are.

I wish I'd gotten to know Tobala better. His presence and his cheerful attitude were always a potent reminder to me that one could be a drug user and a perfectly well-adjusted, even ambitious, member of society at the same time.

Hey, at least we'll know if there are any strange goings on around BL, banners mysteriously defaced or posts mysteriously edited, it must be a friendly visit from the only ghost with administrator privileges.

:( *sniff*

This really did make me smile a lot:

Hey, at least we'll know if there are any strange goings on around BL, banners mysteriously defaced or posts mysteriously edited, it must be a friendly visit from the only ghost with administrator privileges.

BL's very own Ghost in the Machine. I suspect he will relish this new role =D

^I hope so :) that gave me a (tearful but happy) smile.

Mariposa and *L*L*, doing things to honor his memory sounds like a wonderful idea. I think I'll do something like that to honor his memory myself. Thank you ladies for the ideas <3

Tobalski, I hope you are having fun on the other side :)

i really don't know how we'll retrieve the light you brought to us with your brilliant divine spark. bluelight will be forever a little darker with this, for me at least. i'll miss you, toby.

<3

I wish I'd gotten to know Tobala better. His presence and his cheerful attitude were always a potent reminder to me that one could be a drug user and a perfectly well-adjusted, even ambitious, member of society at the same time.

:( *sniff*

:) <3 i agree