Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Amitriptyline - New Experience - A trip to planets unknown

hydrobliss

Bluelighter
So this was a couple of years ago but I think it is certainly worthy of a trip report as it was by far one of the craziest 2-3 days of my life.

It all started when I was dating a new girl (now the mother of my child and my Fiance). We partied pretty hard for the first few months we were together, and she and her mother both knew I enjoyed taking pills from time to time.

I have taken a very wide variety of opiates in my past both orally and up the nose... Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, demerol, Dilaudid, etc (pretty much everything aside from Heroin). And I have also done my fair share of Benzos (Klonopin, Valium, Xanax) and some psychedelics as well (Mushrooms, benedryl, CCC, Dex and the list goes on)

Keep in mind that I wrote a trip report for this 2 days after it happened.. so the information and times are totally accurate.. I just cleaned it up and put it in typed form for you guys.

At this point in time I had a very high tolerance to opiates and a very limited knowledge of drugs in general (in the last 3-4 years my knowledge has grown immensely so I am not a moron anymore)

One night it was mentioned to me that she had a great deal of Amitriptyline from a previous script that she was no longer taking anymore (her mom, not my girl)

She showed me this large bucket full of baggies of many different types of pills... I went through all of them and most of them proved to be fairly useless non-narcotic scripts... put a few benzos off to the side for later use, and gathered up what hydros I could find from the bunch.

Then I came across a bag full of the Amitriptyline, there was 2 (I thought at the time) different colors, blue and pink. I did a small amount of research online and found that the pink ones were the smaller dosage (dont remember the miligrams). I was on a high and mighty power trip at this point because I was tolerant enough to take 10+ lortab at a time so I figured that my tolerance to ANY pill would be substantially higher (I now know that an opiate tolerance has nothing to do with anything else).

3:00 PM- I take 4 of the pink ones thinking that I should be able to handle it no problem.. this was a very stupid decision but I was very excited about it at the time.

3:30 PM- I was doing a bit of further research online and discovered that Amitriptyline comes in THREE colors... pink, blue, and peach. I freaked out... sure enough Peach were the strongest dose available.. I looked at my bag. OMG I had taken about 4 times as much as I thought I had.. the 4 peach pills I had taken (which I thought were pink) was equivillant to 16 pink pills (the smaller dose). I decided to just bite my lip and hang on for the ride.. trip reports on Amitriptyline were very limited so I pretty much had myself convinced that I wouldnt feel much.. I was wrong.

4:30 PM- The pills start to kick in.. I am watching TV and things start to get a bit "fuzzy" no sort of body high or any physical feelings yet, my mind just feels a bit odd.

5:30 PM- I am feeling fairly strange at this point.. I keep seeing flashes of light out of the corner of my eyes and when I turn nothing is there.. I also have a bit of a headache at this point so I start to get a bit worried.

6:00 PM- My girlfriend comes home with McDonalds so I ate a 20 piece nugget and an ice tea.

7:00 PM- I am feeling extremely euphoric and drowsy at this point.. still watching a movie and I can at times hardly see the screen and at times I feel OK. My mind keeps drifting off into different subjects and it becomes extremely difficult to keep my brain focused on any particular subject. Very paranoid but that is probably because it has finally dawned on me that I may have killed myself.

8:00 PM- High keeps getting stronger and stronger, at this point I can barely keep my eyes open.. I vomit and throw up everything I have eaten today..... its gonna be a bad night.

10:00 PM- I wake up in my bed... dont remember coming in here at all.. strange.. I go back to sleep.

3:00 AM- I awake to a horrible pain in my legs.. I feel like I am having extreme opiate withdrawal cramps but im not. I lay in bed for another hour trying to go back to sleep but I cant because I cant keep my legs from twitching violently.

4:00 AM- I get up and go to the kitchen.. I have heard that bananas can help with leg cramps so I eat 4 bananas and drink a LOT of water with it.. I manage to go back to sleep at this point.

5:00 AM- I awake to a loud high pitched sqeeking noise.. I throw the covers off and yell "WHAT THE FUCK" really loud... scaring the crap out of my girlfriend who explains to me that the room is totally silent.. I keep yelling loudly because I cant hear her... eventually she gets me calmed down and I go back to sleep

5:30 AM- I awake to the same noise.. this time accompanied by vibrant visual hallucinations.. I feel like I am in the movie Fantasia- Bright bursts of light all over the room. but that same annoying loud squeel.. accompanied by the writhing stomach pains and leg cramps make it a shitty trip nonetheless.

10: PM 2 DAYS LATER- I awake in my bed.. feeling extremely strange and with the worse migraine I have ever had in my life. At this point I am under the impression that it is just later on that same day... I go out in the living room and my girlfriend is like "wow your up" I said "sorry I slept a few extra hours.. last night sucked"

She goes on to explain to me that I have been in bed for 2 days.. she keeps going in to check on me every half hour and knows that I am alive because I keep screaming loudly to complain of my mass leg cramps... I have no recollection or memory of any of this. She also tells me that I tried to go outside in my underwear and water the yard on 4 seperate occasions only to pass out on the kitchen floor where they had a hard time moving me back to bed.

They tried to take me to the hospital 3 times but I locked myself in the bathroom and passed out.. and said that I would kill them if they called 911 ( I am not a violent person but apparently I sounded serious enough that they didnt)

For the next 5 days I feel extremely strange and my legs continue to have spasms and cramps... I also remain a bit paranoid and have no appetite for about 3 days after this incident ends.

I am sure there was LOTS more that went on during these 3 days.. but I dont remember any of it so I have no business writing about.. im not saying this is all that happened I am simply saying this is all I can remember, and all my girlfreind told me (she was pretty mad so there may be more)

It took me a year to get on her moms good side again, she told me to be careful and to only take 1 pill if I insisted on trying... so this was all my stupidity and something I regret to this day

CONCLUSION- Amitriptyline is not a fun drug to OD on.... I have a hunch that it might be a bit of a fun trip when taken in smaller doses but I am NOT going to be the one to confirm this as I cant even think of the stuff without getting sick to my stomach.

Im not going to say that Amitriptyline is a shitty drug.. but I will say that I had a horrific experience when I took way to much of the drug. It is an anti-psychotic and even people with extreme mental issues are prescribed 1 peach pill per day which keeps them almost comatose. I don't reccomend taking it recreationally but if you insist on trying.. stick to ONE pink or blue pill and be extremely careful.

I am 100% serious this is based off of a trip report that I wrote during the incident on a notepad.. this is 100% real and definately the most bizarre and intense trip of my life

I hope you enjoy the read
From this date on I have always stuck to mild opiates and weed.. nothing else
HYDRO

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_amitriptyline
substancecode_antidepressants
substancecode_pharms
explevel_firsttime
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_overdose
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
wow man! sorry to hear of such a shit experience (but also glad to be warned). I can imagine the freak out at the pill colour situation! farout!!!

thanks for sharing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricyclic_antidepressant_overdose
"Tricyclic antidepressant overdose is caused by excessive use or overdose of a tricyclic antidepressant drug. It is a significant cause of fatal drug poisoning. The severe morbidity and mortality associated with these drugs is well documented due to their cardiovascular and neurological toxicity."

"Studies in the 1990s in Australia and the United Kingdom showed that between 8 and 12% of drug overdoses were following TCA ingestion. TCAs may be involved in up to 33% of all fatal poisonings, second only to analgesics.[12][13] Another study reported 95% of deaths from antidepressants in England and Wales between 1993 and 1997 were associated with tricyclic antidepressants, particularly dothiepin and amitriptyline. It was determined there were 5.3 deaths per 100,000 prescriptions."

Shit dude, you got pretty lucky there.

I take Ami daily at the moment! And your trip report sounds in places very familiar to me! The peach ones are 50mg I believe.. I take two a day at night...

I was told however to start of small.. 10mg a night - increasing gradually upto a maximum of 50mg.. (They were prescribed for insomnia/migraines & pmt)

The first night I had the 10mg it made me so sleepy that I felt stoned - I recall sitting at the kitchen table having a conversation with my mum and sister when all of a sudden I just couldn't stop laughing (it felt great to be honest!). I kept forgetting what I was saying and then laughing at everything (much like being stoned). But eventually I got so tired I had to go to bed and for a week or two following I slept 12 - 14 hours a night and still felt SO tired during the day with the BIGGEST appetite for carbs.

ANYWAY!!!! I digress! Now that I'm on 100mg, I find myself waking the next morning forgetting conversations I've had or things I've done the previous night after taking the Ami... Also, if ever I read a text or answer my phone during the night.. guaranteed I wont remember.

Just the other day actually I was explaining a dream to my mum and she said "Yeah, that actually happened..!" Haha. It's quite funny really.

Anyway, I liked your trip report and jeeeesus I'm glad you survived it as I've heard about people ODing and dying from it. ALSO! They don't like to give out higher doses anymore because they found people in their mid 20's (how old were you back then?) who took it were at a high risk of suicide (I have to admit, that is my exact age and went I get down, I get DOWNNN... I mean, REALLY down - the kind of down that makes me consider things I shouldn't..) So I can understand why prescribing this drug is very controversial these days!

All tricyclics, but especially amitryptaline cause a thing called QT prolongation ie they fuck up the heartbeat and depending on the dose of the tablets you took, you could have developed a fatal case

PS my ex works in a poisons unit and told me that amitryptaline overdoses can make people irrationally violent (makes them rather difficult to treat)

Thanks for the comments guys

I also have done some research and I agree.. im lucky to be alive lol

something I dont recommend. and something I certainly wont be doing again

All tricyclics, but especially amitryptaline cause a thing called QT prolongation ie they fuck up the heartbeat and depending on the dose of the tablets you took, you could have developed a fatal case

I can totally appreciate that.. I get palpitations all the time since being on Ami and I always, always almost black out when I stand up from sitting/lying.. its horrible!

I didn't know for QT prolongation. I'm taking 25mg Ami/day AND 15mg methadone, also known for QT prolongation. I have to be careful, although the doses are quite low.

You define benadryl as a psychedelic ...

Been there, done that, and no. It's so far from a psychedelic, I wonder if the mushrooms you ate were the kind that grow in dog shit.

You define benadryl as a psychedelic ...

Been there, done that, and no. It's so far from a psychedelic, I wonder if the mushrooms you ate were the kind that grow in dog shit.

I never said it was a good psychadellic.. but I thought that would be the closest classification

I used to do mushrooms all the time... I have had all sorts so I do know what a good psychadellic is lol

This thread reminded me of a time when I took about 3 - 6 ?(was very hazy, just kept eating more!)? of the peach ones after drinking copious amounts of booze as my friend had just got a bottle of them and I didn't really know what they were / read up on them (Very very very stupid and young I might add... would never dream of doing something like that again...)

I didn't get too fucked up though, woke up a long time later not remembering anything and feeling exhausted - apparantly I just passed out and was carried to bed... very stupid behaviour..

Still have some left from all that time ago and never really have a situation where they are needed - I believe they are tricylic antipressants (not 100% sure) which were superseded greatly by the SSRIs etc. don't know when I would ever need them to be honest but they stay in the cupboard anyhow!

Was lucky to be OK - sounds like a few people have been in the same boat!

Still have some left from all that time ago and never really have a situation where they are needed - I believe they are tricylic antipressants (not 100% sure) which were superseded greatly by the SSRIs etc. don't know when I would ever need them to be honest but they stay in the cupboard anyhow!

Apparently speed freaks take them to comedown... I have to say I've also taken them to come down before.. works! Good to keep for "emergencys"

I loved the first sentence in the conclusion. fun to od on...

Though I took it upon myself to assume you were being facetious:)

Apparently speed freaks take them to comedown... I have to say I've also taken them to come down before.. works! Good to keep for "emergencys"

Took em a few times back then after exp, for sleep + after taking pips, found they left me pretty sluggish in morning, would much rather benzodiazepines (which I don't have access to atm :( ) - sure there a time and place for every drug ;) will remember though next time have any speed and try it! Hate speed comedowns!

I take Amitriptyline myself. I got it prescribed for chronic pain in my stomach, insomnia and as an anti-depressant. When I first started taking it I only took 10mg and the first night I ever took I also had feelings of being stoned. I got really hyperish but soon... I was extremely tired. I'd just sit there and doze off. And I couldn't take it anymore, I had to go to bed. I slept for hours and hours. The next morning I felt terrible. I had never felt more tired in my entire life.

I've been on it for over a year and my dose was upped. I never really thought of Ami as a drug for recreational use because it makes me so tired. But I tried it one day, I took 20mgs of it before school and when I got to school everything was fine. I was happy and laughing. Not much was different. Then I got into 3rd period and that was Choir. WOW, I was unable to sing. I was falling asleep in my chair. I was trying so hard to stay awake too. Well I guess the day went on. I remember going to lunch and waking up a bit but going back to class and sitting there had me falling back asleep. When I got home i went straight to bed and slept till I had to get up for school again the next day. I don't remember hardly anything of that day. I don't remember getting homework, of if I did. I don't remember who I talked to or anything of the sort.

It was not fun at all. I wouldn't recommend trying to get "high" off of it.

i once took 3 75mg pills and totaly lost the plot they were orange coloured and i didnt look up the recomended dosages before hand. i had been smoking dope on the come up aswell and when i ran out they were hitting strong - the next thing i did was get really upsetp that i could npt find my keys to get into my house and i was atualy thinking this well in my room in my house so decided to go out to my next door neibours to get my keys when i got there i thought i was outside my dope dealers house n put £15 threw the letter box and said 2 please (concidering 2 would be £20 it was rather funny) i then realised were i was and starting banging on the door as i was certain i could see my neibourgh pick up the money through the glass although it turned out she was not in. next thing i kno i wake up a day later in bed wondering were my 2 bags are that i bought lol crazy stuff

also gave me sum of the most intence dreams i have ever had. i still used them to sleep after this but at 1 pill a time.

i would get them again but only for sleeping and lets face it there are better things than this for that.

Me wife has been prescribed SUMATRIPTAN 50mg's, and told to take one as soon as she feels a migraine coming on.

She is afraid to take one.

Would they be like Amtrypaline ?

Amitriptyline's anticholinergic effects are too much for me to handle even at the lowest dose (20mg). If I take it daily for a few days straight, I feel extremely out of shape physically and mentally.

Now I keep what I have to use sparingly as a sleeping aid.