• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Amitriptyline - New Experience - A trip to planets unknown

I take this every day, sometimes exceeding doses of 200mg and don't feel much at all except for a little sedating effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricyclic_antidepressant_overdose
"Tricyclic antidepressant overdose is caused by excessive use or overdose of a tricyclic antidepressant drug. It is a significant cause of fatal drug poisoning. The severe morbidity and mortality associated with these drugs is well documented due to their cardiovascular and neurological toxicity."

"Studies in the 1990s in Australia and the United Kingdom showed that between 8 and 12% of drug overdoses were following TCA ingestion. TCAs may be involved in up to 33% of all fatal poisonings, second only to analgesics.[12][13] Another study reported 95% of deaths from antidepressants in England and Wales between 1993 and 1997 were associated with tricyclic antidepressants, particularly dothiepin and amitriptyline. It was determined there were 5.3 deaths per 100,000 prescriptions."

Shit dude, you got pretty lucky there.

I was prescribed tricyclics back in the 80s and used very high dosages in a couple of suicide attempts. Anyone that has an idea that they have any kind of recreational value is kidding themselves.

I was rolling laughing through this whole report. LOL @ “last night sucked” and “it took me a whole year to get back on her mother’s good side again.”

I know this is an old post. It's an important one still.

I am prescribed 25mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. Which I take as directed. But, I was prescribed 100mg tabs a few years ago. I abused them.

Why, I don't know. I would take up to 500mg at a time. The weirdest thing happened. I would "black out", but I was aware[/B ]of everything I was doing, but could not stop myself. I knewI was saying and doing crazy things. It was really scary.

I was frying grape jelly in oil. (Wtf) It's one of the weird things I recall. I had no idea that Amitriptyline is so toxic.

They helped potentiate methadone. I was on methadone at that time and it didn't last 24 hrs. for me. I would be sick everyday by 4pm. It was due to being an abberant metabolizer.

I really had no idea how dangerous this med can be.

There's absolutely no recreational benefit with amitriptyline.