• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Srong antibiotic and LSD - possible dangerous interactions?

zippidee

Greenlighter
Strong antibiotic and LSD - possible dangerous interactions?

A friend of mine is taking an antibiotic (generic: metronidazole, brand name: flagyl) that comes with a warning to avoid ergot-alkaloids. This anti-biotic is powerful and you're supposed to avoid alcohol for 12 hours before taking it and 24 to 48 hours after taking it. She experienced some of the mild neurological side-effects of this antibiotic (specifically disorientation and drowsiness).

I assume this means she can't take LSD while on the antibiotic. How long do you think it's necessary to wait before taking LSD? The half life of the antibiotic is roughly 8 hours, and it supposedly stays in the body for 1 to 2 days. Is 2 or 3 days long enough of a waiting period?

As far as I've found, the major problem seems to be that ergot-alkaloids make the antibiotic less effective because it effects metabolism of the antibiotic, but I've been having trouble getting information on the specific interaction between these two drugs...so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I wouldn't want to put my friend at risk for a psychotic break or anything...

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Last edited:
i have not read about this before - but, the only info i see says that the indication is for people taking ergot pills because it decreases the effectiveness of those pills - not the antibiotic.. i could be wrong..

also - i strongly think that LSD-25 is a far cry from ergotamine pills..

When in doubt, wait it out. Your friend's health is more important than one trip.

this is one of the strongest antibiotics out there.
i had it for root canal work on my teeth, and made the mistake of drinking ONE beer.
was sick as a dog and puking up.

not nice.
id imagine becoming horribly sick and vomiting everywhere while in the middle of a trip would be sucky.

I took 2 tabs of some fire Albert Hoffman blotter and ended upin the ER after taking too many antibiotics in one week because of malaise.. Minocyclin, omnicef, penicillin vk, biaxalin; amoxicillin xr/ amoxicillin w/ clindomycin potassium. My chest got all tight and I started passing out, but luckily once I got to the Hospital I felt like I was dieing passed out, and woke up feeling better; though I ended up wandering around the Hospital for awhile then I walked home. I never thought LSD could actually be dangerous... :/

I took 2 tabs of some fire Albert Hoffman blotter and ended upin the ER after taking too many antibiotics in one week because of malaise.. Minocyclin, omnicef, penicillin vk, biaxalin; amoxicillin xr/ amoxicillin w/ clindomycin potassium. My chest got all tight and I started passing out, but luckily once I got to the Hospital I felt like I was dieing passed out, and woke up feeling better; though I ended up wandering around the Hospital for awhile then I walked home. I never thought LSD could actually be dangerous... :/
everything is dangerous if used incorrectly.

well Im doing this at the moment and everything has gone pretty okay, the effects of lsd seem really high, but anyways I don't know if this is the trip or the antibiotics, but the important thing is that you will not die or anything close to that, but if I was you I?ll try not to do lsd taking these as we are not aware of the risks... Honestly it didn't even came to my mind that mixing metrodinazole and lsd could be dangerous, I`ve tripping por almost 9 hours now, and everything seems `normal`(like the trip feels like it should) no psychotic breaks.