• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you wash your weed?

Huaca

Greenlighter
Do you wash your weed? I tried this last week and am pleased with the result. The smoke is smoother and more potent. It's definitely stronger and it's a trippy high too.

The weed I used is four months old and it was ground. I put some in a jar and added cold clean water until about 2/3 or 3/4 full. I avoided shaking the jar. I just gently swirled it around now and then. I let it soak two days in the refridgerator. I got a mixing bowl and put a six-inch wire-mesh strainer over it. I put a coffee filter in the strainer. I gently poured out the contents of the jar into the coffee filter. I used new water to rinse the jar and poured that through the filter also. Gradually the water drained out of the filter and I added new water and kept repeating until the water coming through the filter was clean enough. There's no need to touch the wet weed and it wiill stick to your fingers anyway.

So at this point I have a bowl of dirty water and a coffee filter containing wet weed. Set the water aside for a while and let it settle to reassure yourself that very little solid matter escaped from your weed. Discard the water.

To squeeze or not to squeeze the filter? I decided not to squeeze the water out. After all, the water is fairly clean by now and squeezing the fragile wet filter might cause some tiny active particles to push through it and escape. I just waited until it finished dripping then dumped it onto a plate. I placed the filter on another plate. Some little clumps of wet weed will stick to the filter but don't worry about it now. Just set the filter aside to dry then the particles will come right off. I put the plate with wet weed and the plate with the weedy filter on my bookshelf and left them overnight to air dry. (I like humidify a gram or so at a time with an occasional quick mist of water. Burns cooler with some moisture content.)

It's no problem washing your weed. It's not messy at all. Just be patient and let the stuff air dry. The herb you are left with will weigh less because some of the water soluble inactive compounds have been washed out. There's no need to smoke the part that doesn't get you high. The remaining weed is more concentrated. I like it. Washing your weed is a very easy way to have a more potent smoke. It's smoother too.

Do you wash your weed? There's no need to smoke the part that doesn't get you high. The remaining weed is more concentrated. .

No.

It's not more concentrated...that doesn't even make sense.

what you did do though, was loosen up all the trichomes that were on that bud, and trow them away.

You could have made your self some nice high-grade bubble hash.

Okay, maybe I can illustrate this. Say a person takes of bottle of wine and distills it down unitl it's high proof liquor. So instead of a 1000 ml bottle of 10% alcohol, the person now has 250 ml of 40% alcohol. Now the person can drink a smaller volume to get just as high.

^ Are you guessing or speaking from experience? Try washing some weed and do a smoke test yourself. I'm sure you'll find, as I did, that less smoke from washed weed gets you higher.

That isn't what you described at all, and yes i completely understand the analogy.

Having made hash using the Ice method, and even smoking the filtered herb afterwards (keep in mind, only water was used), no, it didn't get me higher.

while i'm doubtful about the increase in potentcy, perhaps rincing if off would remove any nasty pesdicides or similar chemicals that may have been used... idk though.

No.

It's not more concentrated...that doesn't even make sense.

what you did do though, was loosen up all the trichomes that were on that bud, and trow them away.

You could have made your self some nice high-grade bubble hash.

I think it makes sense
Assuming that the filter was small tight enough to prevent any trichomes form passing through, I think the potency would be increased seeing as he removed some of then inactives leaving lower weight with the same amount of cannabinods. that would be more potent technically.

I do agree however if not done carefully that would be the result.

to test this he should have saved the water and evaporated it and smoke the remainder just to be sure.

This is an interesting concept in general.
Having made hash using the Ice method, and even smoking the filtered herb afterwards (keep in mind, only water was used), no, it didn't get me higher.

But you agitated the water and cooled the trichomes making them brittle this cleaning the plant matter. The OP tried to keep the trichs on the plant matter.
OP: how was the flavor of the buds? i feel that the taste would be reduced.

Last edited:
I do not see a point in this whatsoever, surely swirling your weed about in water would lose some of the trichomes and they are difficult to see with the naked eye at times so they would have just been lost with the water. Placebo must have played a good effect or something.

why do you think they would be lost with the water? surely the filter did something. either way the water could be evaporated to test, and to not lose any canabinoids.

there's no real point, but its fun to do shit with weed, especially if you are starting to get bored just smoking.

Extracts are fun maybe you will find the magic shit. or have a way to fix some crappy nugs.

Well in that case some would be stuck to the coffee filter? I can't see how he would have 100% not lost any trichomes during the process of washing the weed and filtering it.
I could see this being useful if the weed is sprayed or something (happens a lot over here) but not really for improving potency.

As an old-timer I remember a typical deal (1 oz.) of weed often comprised a lot of leaf with a few buds thrown in. I am talking about a long time ago. The leaf was rarely sub-tending floral leaf with reasonable resin content - more often it was prunings from pre-floral stages the grower had saved. Of course we'd rather smoke straight bud than make a mix so eventually all we'd have left was the leaf. It was usually super harsh so we'd 'wash' it to get rid of the chlorophyll, pesticides etc. Huaca got it part-right in that after re-drying the weight was considerably less and the product was defiantely more pallatable, but the process certainly didn't make what we smoked more potent. I don't see how this is possible. Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Dude you most likely made your weed weaker by washing away some of the trichomes. Why would you do such a thing? I'm sure there wasn't any dirt on your buds so why?

Dude you most likely made your weed weaker by washing away some of the trichomes. Why would you do such a thing? I'm sure there wasn't any dirt on your buds so why?

Thats ignorance talking. Have you ever used this method? It creates the smoothest smoke I've ever had. Period.

Don't knock it until you try it people, it works. I can't comment on increased potency, but I can say that I've never had a blunt taste so fucking smooth in my life.

The water removes a lot of plant material from the weed, sure you might lose some trichomes here and there, but its a minimal amount. Try it.

i am considering doing this with my sprayed bud.
an Arobskittle is correct, its fun to experiment with ganja.

the other month i made a wee amount of butane honey oil using 0.5g and a biro pen's body, and a pipe screen.
the end result, while miniscule, got me fucking blasted and lasted a good while.

i didnt expect it to work though!

You can use this this method to cure buds and then dry 'em in a dehydrator. Look up water curing. It does work and it does make the weed more concentrated in the end.

water curing, hell yes.

same as sweat curing in that they are both rarely done nowadays.
old school fo lyfe, yo

^^ Water curing is cool and produces very tasty mild smoke when done correctly... But unless I grew it I don't see a reason to wash it, I've never tried it.

not really my style effort-wise, but i may give it a shot if i have some surplus bud and time to play around with.

does water-cured bud retain the original flavor/aroma?

washing weed is a good way to improve the taste of some stinky old weed.....sometimes, when you get weed in brick form, it has been compressed so much that the seeds are crushed. When they get crushed, the milk leaks out of them and goes rancid.....thats what makes the weed smell like amonia...you can illiminate this odor and taste by washing and re-drying the weed...

Yeah it'll make it taste bette, but improving potency? lololololol

lolololololol
lolololololol

I Actually laughed more than that, yeah it'll increase the potency if you collect all the trichomes you wasted and make hash, but apart from that. lolololol