Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DXM - First time - Great =)

spiralmind

Bluelighter
I had tried DXM once before, but it contained Guaifenesin. I didn't get sick or anything, was just a very boring high and wasn't worth the $6.55. So this was my first actual experience..
Anyways, a friend J and i decided to do it right. We went over to Ralph's (grocery store) and each bought some Vicks44.
T+00:00: We each just kept filling the little shot glass it comes with then downing it, which we should of just downed the whole bottle in a couple gulps instead of like 10.. (~230 mg each, Second plataue). o well.. too late. Finished the bottle, put some Goa trance on and walked around the house for a little. I was getting very anticipated and wanted it to start.
T:00:30: I notice a slight chance in music appreciation. I could feel the bass tremble throughout my body as well as the other little clicks and bumps of the music. It starting to kick in.
T:00:45: J and I decided to go for a walk around the neighborhood. It felt very weird to walk, not a bad weird. My perception of time was pretty much gone. everytime id look down i felt a rushing sensation go through my body and so id lower my head closer to the ground and the ground would like come up faster then my head would go down, t'was amazing.
T:~01:30: i was sitting at the comp looking at the visualization plug ins for winamp (pretty trippy on dex.) then i notice i couldn't feel my body. My mind was now dissociated from my body (hence the class, Dissociates). i Got up to walk around and wow.. i couldn't feel myself walking. I could see, but not feel. J was on the ground looking up and kept saying "Fuck! Im soo fucked up!" (Yeah, he's kinda those LeTs Get FuKd up! kind of people, eh.. he's my friend so i tolerate it. Anyways, for some reason i dove onto the ground. I saw myself hit the ground but didn't feel it untill about 5 seconds later, the impact was delayed. Weird.
T:~02:00: I decided to talk to my friend S on the phone. When she picked up it seemed that her voice was coming from within my head, Neat. I felt so talkative and kept pacing around the house, taking advantage of the fact that i couldn't feel anything, so walking seemed like floating if i didn't look at the ground. We talked for about 2 hours straight untill i came down.
The rest of the trip was mainly talking to S and pacing around, i started laughing at alot of stuff, and had a huge smile on my face, everything seemed so great.
All in all this was a very nice/amazing/odd/wonderful experience (hehe.. couldnt think of the right word for it.). i Will deffinatly do this again and with a higher dose.. 3rd or 4th plataeu.. Let's see what else dex has to offer =)
[ 19 June 2002: Message edited by: spiralmind ]

I hope this is a joke....maybe I misread.. but you got that high just from drinking Vicks 44?? haha
[ 19 June 2002: Message edited by: grapeape ]

Thanks for posting your report, good work, glad you had fun.
Oh and welcome to Bluelight :)
grapeape: You cannot "get high" (i would say trip) from any old cough medicine, in fact, chugging down most of them would make you very sick, or possibly something more serious.
There is a cough surpressant in some cough syrups called DXM (dextromethorphan), and if you want to trip by drinking any of these syrups, it must contain dextromethorphan ONLY (and the inactive ingredients), but if it contains other ingredients, DO NOT DRINK IT.
Check the Erowid DXM link above and http://www.third-plateau.org/ for some informastion on DXM, and the safe syrups.

Splatt... that's what I'm saying, he says he only drank Vicks 44, and he seems like he was pretty messed up. I know what DXM, and I thought that was the shit that we are supposed to stay away form....You say you are glad he had fun, yet you discourage buying this product- and drinking large quantities of it?? I don't understand...
Chugging a bottle of vicks 44 for a quick high just seems as wierd to me as huffing stuff under the sink.....
[ 20 June 2002: Message edited by: grapeape ]

What I was saying is that if you are going to do this, you have to buy the right one (DXM only), and DXM is a real drug, its a dissociative anaesthetic (like Ketamine, PCP and Nitrious).
I'm glad he had fun because it sounded like he had a good time, its a trip, it's not huffing gas.
I was not discouraging him to buy Vicks 44, as that is a known DXM-only cough syrup. It is "safe", it will not destroy your liver (like a cough medicine with other ingredients such us paracetamol, guaifenesin etc.. may do)
If you are considering doing this, I am not encouraging you to, but if you're going to do it, do it safely, and check out Erowid if you thought DXM was the dangerous ingredient of a cough syrup.

Splatt.... I am thoroughly confused now... OK maybe it is diffent when it is mixed with pills, but I always remember hearing to stay away from DXM... that it was really bad. DXM was found in pills and peeps were dehydrating from it, or weren't able to sweat....or something like that. am I wrong?? I'm not planning on taking DXM... ever. I'm just curious... and confused!!

DXM is sometimes found in "extasy" pills and is generally something that people try to avoid because the effects of the drug are nothing like MDMA.
DXM can be safely used in a recreational way for a trip - just follow Splatt's advice.

Originally posted by grapeape:
Splatt.... I am thoroughly confused now... OK maybe it is diffent when it is mixed with pills, but I always remember hearing to stay away from DXM... that it was really bad. DXM was found in pills and peeps were dehydrating from it, or weren't able to sweat....or something like that. am I wrong?? I'm not planning on taking DXM... ever. I'm just curious... and confused!!
People don't want DXM in their pills because that's not what they're wanting. They want MDMA. If one were to take a large amount of DXM and then dance at a rave or similar place, then yes, they would become dehydrated. But other than that, most of the things you've heard about DXM were probably false.

Ohhh... ok... I just hadn't really heard of taking *just* DXM. eh... still doesn't sound like fun. I'll pass, but thanks for all the info guys. :)

[Off topic comment to grapeape]
[ 25 June 2002: Message edited by: Catch-22 ]

[Off topic comment to belky21]
[ 25 June 2002: Message edited by: Catch-22 ]

hahahahaha...dancing on dex. now that's funny. more like stumbling, though. anyway...
glad to hear the first time was fun. in the future, skip the vicks and buy generitussin max strength cough, though. it tastes like a billion times less horrible, and the taste goes away in like 5 minutes instead of 5 hours. not as thick and syrupy as vicks, either. but, anywho. welcome to the club, hope to hear from you again soon :)

OMG, I almost killed myself trying to drive while on DXM. It felt like I was in a video game the entire time. Cars look like they're sooo much further away than they really are. I literally almost died.

dancing on dxm is kind of fun, i feel like a little elf hopping around. i'm sure it looks absolutely retarded but it feels great.
i've only tripped off the robo honey cough before, and its not TOO bad. u feel a little nauseous trying to drink it and for like the first hour but by the time your feeling the effects the nausea is usually gone.

I've never tried DXM but have wanted to for a long time. I just don't know if I could stand to drink a whole bottle of that discusting caugh syrup, but maybe I should give it a try! Reading your trip report makes me wanna go get some Vicks44 right now!

Ever try to dance on DXM? Almost impossible. Not to mention driving.
I love to dance on DXM, not only can i dance great on it, but its also very fun to do at raves. DXM is mt all time favorite drug, and i would definatly give it a try. All my friends who usually did E, i told them to try it, and i showed them a great time, and now they like it more than E.

I never come to bluelight anymore, but I was bored...anyway, I cant believe how many people have not tried dxm. I dont do it anymore, I dont do chemicals anymore, but dxm was really my favorite. Me and my best friend did that shit like every weekend for the summer of 2000. All I have to say is, your trip sounded like fun. I have some halarious dxm stories. Anyway, not too many other people understood why we liked dxm better than mushrooms or other shit, but whatever. I reccomend trying dxm, but dont do it too much cause trust me...your perception of life gets real fucking weird after a while. I was out there for a few months after I stopped, but now im 100% normal, and happy, and I know its supposed to be bad for your memory and shit, but I always made straight a's when i took the shit, and i still do. Maybe im just the ideal stud. heh

^^^^
Totally true, I myself did way to much in 2000 and now its ruined. Make sure you use it in moderation, DXM's side effects increase rapidly so enjoy it while you can. I'd suggest you stop when the hangovers begin to feel like you've taken a hammer to the brain the night before.
I used to love to dance on the stuff (I never went to raves just house parties) people never seemed to care how I looked because my personality is generally very goofy and I guess "abstract". I would hop up and down on my tip toes and just let my arms flow everywhere, if I got really into I'd start to hop all over the place. I guess it probably looked like a goofy ass long haired kid trying to do the robot and C-Walk at the same time. I also remeber once being at a party on DXM which was busted by the cops. I actually had a real fun time running from the pigs (and nobody got arrested which was great) but I guess I was also doing my robotic C-Walk while running from the house, I was also humming and sometimes singing while running. Its definatly the weirdest drug experince (not best) I've ever had. Unfournatly, DXM became an escape for me and I ruined it and I now have a love/hate relationship with the substance, but theres really no "addiction" once I stopped I was just way out there in my thinking and I felt off base for a while. Ahh well, it was worth it considering I'm now able to complete sentences (DXM was affecting my cognitive skills but they recovered). To this day though I can feel a subtle DXM influence when I dance as I now hop and skip and move my arms alot more then I used to, come to think of it I never used to dance.