• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Drinking an Alcoholic drink will ruin my workout?

Paradisum

Bluelighter
Hello! So i heard from a friend who is becoming an EMT that drinking will ruin three days of lifting/working out. He is a drinker and loves to go to the local CSU to get his drink on. He also lifts and stuff and is in pretty good shape so i am kinda baffled. I may have heard him wrong though as he may have said a night of drinking rather than a drink.

So basically I have picked up a healthy lifestyle in the past couple months and am really enjoying having this new body I have worked for. If i drink a couple drinks here and there will it reduce my muscle?

cant find anything on SE :(

depends what you drink, calorie content etc. but as long as you burn it off again you'll be fine

depends what you drink, calorie content etc. but as long as you burn it off again you'll be fine

Yeah you should be fine with just a drink or a few drinks.

Just don't get into the habit of drinking a lot of booze daily.

If you're really concerned find the beer/liquor that has the lowest calorie content and drink that.

Also if you're one of those people that gets hungry when they drink booze don't overeat or eat bad food.

Yeah you should be fine with just a drink or a few drinks.

Just don't get into the habit of drinking a lot of booze daily.

If you're really concerned find the beer/liquor that has the lowest calorie content and drink that.

Also if you're one of those people that gets hungry when they drink booze don't overeat or eat bad food.

cool! :) thanks a lot guys. Just dont want my hard work to go to waste! %)

Just don't binge drink. And as priest said, don't give in to the urge to eat junk food or smoke cigarettes when you're buzzed. If you can't resist either of these, then yeah, you're better off not drinking at all if you want to maintain your fitness.

Alcohol inhibits proper sleep cycles, which means if you go to bed intoxicated, growth hormone won't be properly secreted to remodel those muscles which your workout wore out. But I don't see a problem with having one or two drinks in the early evening every now and then, and not going to bed until they're out of your system.

^Nah you're wrong.

Alcohol dehydrates you(which obviously can be countered, but it's def. not an ideal anabolic environment for your muscle to rebuilt and add new muscle fiber, muscles need alot of water to move nutrients around).

It inhibits testortone secretion.

It reduces the protein synthesis that is needed to build muscle.

If you want to be at your most anabolic, avoid booze. But really it's not THAT super critical unless you're an alcoholic or something.

Caffeine also fucks up your gains by messing with the contraction and relaxation of muscles, and dehydration. But booze is way worse than coffee and toast hah.

I'm usually on here preaching how bad it is.
/preacher

IMo it depends on how hard you train and how precise your diet is the rest of the time. I usually blast drinking in general because most people don't have the intensity or dicipline in their diets/workouts to be able to pull off drinking while staying in great shape.

I quit drinking and I'm in the best shape of my life. I know everyone wants to have fun every once in awhile. Just try to set it aside for very special occasions. Moderation. That's the reaslistic approach because I realize most people, especially on bluelight, like to enjoy a cocktail or ten every once in awhile.

I still say axe it completely if you can. Cheers :D

i'd be in better shape if i didn't drink, but genetics and training make up for most of the damage it does. as usual, i imagine i'm probably an exception in terms of how much i can get away with. most people don't have three beers at lunch and then pound out a 14 mile hill workout.

well I can say from experience that working out and drinking lots of beer will give you a beer gut at the least :\.....

I have gained 20+ pounds of (mostly) muscle in the last 8 months. and I definitely have gotten bigger pretty much everywhere. but STILL have a gut. I mean there's a good deal of muscle under the fat, but when I sit in certain positions it feels like I've got rolls lol.

I realize most people, especially on bluelight, like to enjoy a cocktail or ten every once in awhile.

Not all of us, I have been 100% alcohol free for over a year now. :)

alcohol also lowers your body's ability to produce testosterone. it also breaks down muscle fibers. it does a lot of other really nasty things to you.

in short, alcohol basically does the opposite to your body what working out does. pick one, not both.

^ agreed. Alcohol is exactly what you don't want if your goals are to improve your physical fitness.

I think a lot of it depends on your genetics. I mean, on this forum alone, there are dudes who drink like fish, pop pills, trip on LSD, and not even lift heavy weights who are still, like, fitness-magazine-cover ripped. If you can pull that off, then more power to you. But I'd wager most folks can't.