• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man!!!

Edibles..mmmm..haven't had any of it that way in a long time. Had some cake and brownies in the past, whoa!! is all I can say :)

Well, I can't completely agree on this, only because I have seen first hand my plants show their displeasure with a low ph water. Once I adjust back up to 6.7 the leaf tips straighten back out again. Also, if the ph is out of wack, it causes
the plants to lock-out nutes. Maybe this isn't the case with straight organic medium + organic nutes, but I am not using organics. I have checked ph after adding my nutes and I've seen the numbers go as low as 4.2, now if I gave
that to my plants, surely they wouldn't be happy with me.

Edited-fixed spacing, posted w/ cellphone earlier.

Let me clarify something. The 3 part-Humboldt nutes I use appear to be PH balanced, if I only add those 3, the PH will fall somewhere around 6.5-6.6, which I can live with, but once the additives like Flavorful (which is Humic acid), the PH falls drastically and needs to be adjusted. The Humboldt Roots does this as well. Also, ever since I started paying attention to PH and PPM's and using clean purified water, is when I noticed I had much healthier plants, as well as using a good medium. I used to use cheap coco and would just add nutes to my tap water without ever adjusting or checking apnything and I would run into problems (lock-out, burnt leaf tips, slowed growth and less than impressive buds). With the way my last harvest turned out, and the way this one is turning out, I am not going to change anything I am doing at this moment.

Please whoever reads this, just spend 30 secs reading this post. It will tell you ALL you need to know.

Soil EC and pH

I'm sure you wouldn't have had the issue had you used tapwater you wouldn't have had the issue with pH. But sometimes with chemical nutrients I admit it is different.

What irks me is people thinking RO machines will increase your yield if you have pretty average tapwater. If it's extremely hard or there is some other important reason it's very impure then yes it will help, but 9/10 it won't. Also, when people say it's improved their yield there are usually multiple factors, many they're unware of, which can affect plant health and yield. The plants aren't exactly being grown in a lab under controlled conditions).

When using organic nutrients especially (not directed at you obviously since it doesn't apply to you), you should NOT measure pH or EC. You just don't need to do it.

The reason I'm saying this is because time and time again I've been reading about newbies asking about pH/EC issues with compost time and time again, when it's not hydro, it's compost.

Are you using a soilless mix? What medium are you using? Out of curiosity, if it's not hydro why aren't you using organic nutrients? You know you get better tasting weed and if your growing style is good your yields can be just as high, if not higher? I've never understood why people would want to choose chemical nutes over organic when they're in compost/soilless mix since if they're going down that route I always reasoned they may as well grow in hydro. Perhaps you can enlighten me? The issue with chemical fertilizers is that they kill off at least part of, if not all of the microherd. So, if you can go organic and use beneficial fungi and bacteria you will be able to have amazing yields and an excellent, sweet flavour.

Also by the way, I would either avoid using humic acid with your nutrients or feed very small amounts since it improves uptake to such an extent that it can in some instances cause nutrient burn. Or if you don't suffer from that carry.

Last edited:
Well, Our water is incredibly disgusting, like, everybody in this town has SOME type of filtration because our tap water has alot of shit in it, Especially sulfur.
Normally, I would've just used tap, but, If I won't drink the water myself, I dont think my plants would want it...hehe, but I see the point you're making, guess it really just depends on where you live and the quality of the tap.

Also, been kinda curious, most of my plants are looking healthy, one of my northern lights is just taking off like none other, the other northern lights doesnt look so happy, Im kinda confused, as I know its not under watered, but its leaves are drooping(fan leaves only) and the stems of these fan leaves have purple on top...(

The only noticable difference I see between these plants is one is VERY bushy, and looks very healthy, and the one that had the deformed leaves, has normal leaves now, but , they all drop and the stems turn purple on the top....
Blah...

Please whoever reads this, just spend 30 secs reading this post. It will tell you ALL you need to know.

Soil EC and pH

I'm sure you wouldn't have had the issue had you used tapwater you wouldn't have had the issue with pH. But sometimes with chemical nutrients I admit it is different.

What irks me is people thinking RO machines will increase your yield if you have pretty average tapwater. If it's extremely hard or there is some other important reason it's very impure then yes it will help, but 9/10 it won't. Also, when people say it's improved their yield there are usually multiple factors, many they're unware of, which can affect plant health and yield. The plants aren't exactly being grown in a lab under controlled conditions).

When using organic nutrients especially (not directed at you obviously since it doesn't apply to you), you should NOT measure pH or EC. You just don't need to do it.

The reason I'm saying this is because time and time again I've been reading about newbies asking about pH/EC issues with compost time and time again, when it's not hydro, it's compost.

Are you using a soilless mix? What medium are you using? Out of curiosity, if it's not hydro why aren't you using organic nutrients? You know you get better tasting weed and if your growing style is good your yields can be just as high, if not higher? I've never understood why people would want to choose chemical nutes over organic when they're in compost/soilless mix since if they're going down that route I always reasoned they may as well grow in hydro. Perhaps you can enlighten me? The issue with chemical fertilizers is that they kill off at least part of, if not all of the microherd. So, if you can go organic and use beneficial fungi and bacteria you will be able to have amazing yields and an excellent, sweet flavour.

Also by the way, I would either avoid using humic acid with your nutrients or feed very small amounts since it improves uptake to such an extent that it can in some instances cause nutrient burn. Or if you don't suffer from that carry.

I am using B'Cuzz Coco and Roots Organic as a medium. Humboldt 3 part Grow, Micro & Bloom as primary ferts and Humboldt Roots, Flavorful, Hyrgrozyme as additives during veg. During flowering, I continue w/ the 3 part ferts, plus Hygrozyme, Cal-Mag, and Flavorful..the Humic acid is in small doses and not with every feeding, Cal-Mag too is only as needed, not every feeding. I have seen no ill effects from it at all, and I add Ginormous as a bloom additive..they love this stuff!! I haven't been feeding my plants a large amount of fertilizers, I stay on the light side and do thorough flushings the last 3 weeks. I am willing to sacrifice yield for smooth burning and great tasting bud.

A good friend has been doing a side by side comparasion with 100% Organic fertilizers by Roots and the Salt Fertlizers--Maxi-Grow & Maxi-Bloom and the chem fed plants seem to be winning the race. The Sour Deisel actually prefers the chem nutes (Chemdawg X Mass SuperSkunk)... The chem just really brings out the flavor of the Sour for some reason, but thorough flushings are crucial the last few weeks.

My tap water is horrible..period!! The ppm's straight out of the tap are 443 and the ph is 7.6. When I would just add nutes and not check ph or ppm's, everything was out of wack and I saw entire crops suffer horribly. Once I changed over to buying 4 gallon jugs of purified water with a near 0 ppm and ph of 7.0, my plants have never been healthier. When you add nutes to water that starts off with a near 0 ppm, the plants are actually able to uptake the nutes because the levels are not sky high, with my tapwater & nutes the ppm's were always above 1000 even during early veg. This burnt the leaves, stunted growth and caused lock-out.

Artificial Emotion-have you bothered to take a gander of the pics I posted? Do they look like they are suffering from anything, what else could I have done differently?

Prelude is seeing the benefits now by maintaining proper ph levels and switching to a good medium. He saw the damage done last time by cheap coco, over fertilizing and not checking what he was watering his plants with. Now that he made some adjustments, his Northern's are taking off like a bat outta hell. You cannot argue with results!!!

Last edited:
Prelude, that one with the deformed leaves, may never turn into a healthy happy plant, it was just one seed. When starting seeds, you just dont know what your gonna get. That Northern that is healthy and taking off..that's the one to veg out nice and bushy and take clones from just that one..then the next cycle you could have like 6 of that same Northern, so imagine next time having like 6 of those under your 600 instead of just 1. I guess don't give up on that other one, cause you don't have many options..if the leaves are drooping, are you sure your watering enough?

hey guys just wanna comment on the weather lately and how it coincides with a recent outbreak of PM in my garden.......fucking blows

I got some clones that came from plants a long time ago that i knew had PM, i treated them but apparently i missed some and it has popped up due to the fucking humidity...

so i have some safer but i don't really wanna spray my shit now as it is starting to nug up..... what can i use that wont mess with the flavor/smokability

PM is a mother fucker...i'll ask my buddy what he purchased, it was highly recommended and I used it as well, he made me up a gallon of it for me. I believe it's a powder that gets mixed into the water, it's meant for Roses..and IT WORKS! Try to do some googling...I know it is advertised to be used on Roses, but it's safe for the mj plants and kills the PM.

Artificial Emotion...hope your doing better. The first time I ever experienced true WD's was from Methadone...my god it was horrible. I'd imagine now with the dosage of OC's and Roxi's I am on, they would be worse than what I had experienced on the Methadone, because my levels weren't anywhere near what they are now. My bro is on the program and at one point he was on 150mg a day, he would share some with me, so that is how I started on that dreadful road. Hope you feel better bro!

Feel better A.E., Really hope you do.
I've been through Opiate addiction and it is hell,
Got addicted when I was 13 to Morphine (got 100mg pills for 1$ each, bought 300$, lasted me a year), after that I moved to Oxy, Got up to 300-400 mg a day, Then moved to shooting up heroin...
After my Mom Died my life was just a mess and I knew Rehab is what she would've wanted for me...
Anyways,
Keep you're head up, keep some good friends by your side, smoke some herb, take warm showers, you know the drill Im sure..

As for my plants, all doing very well, Northern Lights with deformed leaves is starting to bush up, seems about a week behind the other Northern Lights. (The top of the one that is behind is now pushing out some weird wiggly leaves,hope they straighten out)

Surprisingly to me, The Afghan Kush is doing extremely well, its fan leaves are bigger than the Northern Lights fan leaves, lol.
I thought NL was a 100% indica, figured its leaves would be bigger, I guess geography from the origin of the plant might make a dif...

Purple kush is finally pushing out new leaves, but, its older leaves are still crunchy and dying(yes its watered enough), It also has a small side branch on the bottom, should I keep that there or keep it off?, its pretty much a 6-8 inch clone, and right where the stem meets the rockwool, theres another tiny little branch sticking up, is that worth keeping or cuttting?)

Hope to have that thread up tonight or tmrw chanier, hopefully tonight, if this weed doesnt put me to bed, seems to be a sativa, Im talking to much...Shutting up

Top 10 Grower Posters of THREAD

Prelude2TragedyII 364
Wise420 95
mr.muncheez 94
Artificial Emotion 87
papasomni 74
w01fg4ng 60
Arobskittle 40
panic in paradise 29
subopm420 25
carl 21

^^ What a line up we have had this year! Good job everyone!

Thank you for the kind words guys. I'm back to normal!

Basically I didn't have time to comb back through the posts, so I didn't realise you were in coco mr. muncheez. Sorry about that. However, one thing about organics in coco. If the comparison your friend did between chem and organic nutrients was done in coco there's a very good reason why he will have gotten the results he did. Naturally coco is low in microbial life, meaning organic nutrients are unable to convert into mineral salts which the plant can easily absorb and hence the plants will never reach their full potential compared to the chem fertilizers, which are like mainlining the plant nutrients.

One other thing though, if you can, you must always use coco-specific nutrients in coco if you can. This is because of coco's unique cation exchange capacity which is different to most other media. Although normal chem fertilizers will work in coco, you will definitely get better results with a good coco-specific feed. Hesi are absolutely renowned for making by far the best coco-specific feed on the market IMO, with only Grower's Ark competing. Hesi coco grow is calle TNT Complex and the Bloom is called just that. The TNT Complex is unique in that the nitrogen is 100% organic, but still completely soluble so that you can treat it like any other coco feed and have it bubbling away (or preferrably flooming rather than bubbling actually!) in a reservoir.

I don't mean to be critical, but this is just an opinion of mine. I really think you are using too many additives. The reason being that you can get really good results (in excess of a gram per watt) with just the basic two or three part nutrient and when the manufacturers design and test their nutrients/additives they don't do so with the intention of multiple other products being used throughout the grow, since they can and do interact. But anyway, that's just your personal preference which your entitled to. I'm just saying I personally would concentrate my money and resources on the basics, such as improving airflow. People seem drawn into the commercial world of the latest flashy additives when in fact the basics suffice.

But if you're getting good results, anyway, please do continue with what you're doing. I just wanted to give an insight into my growing ethos.

I'm happy it's going well for you though. It's fun isn't it? Growing is certainly addictive.

One thing I really would absolutely love for you to try is a new technique that goes against the grain when it comes to flushing. Instead of accepting conventional wisdom as being the only way, take a look at this thread. It was a technique developed by a moderator at UK420 who, instead of just blindly following what everyone else does, experimented and found out a better way to flush that didn't involve starving the plant. Anyway, here it is:

FLUSHING IN HYDRO OWDS WAY

The question on flushing keeps arising on the boards and although each individual has their own way i thought i'd give you my thoughts on it

I used to be under the impression that a two week flush was needed at the end in hydro but have since changed my mind completely.My way of thinking is that starving a plant for any amount of time is detrimental to its progress so for me two weeks is a definate no no

What i now do whether in a hydro system or hand watering in coco is 2 weeks from cropping i start to reduce the phosphorus.I cease using any boost/pk13/14 seeing as these have a large amount in and i start to reduce the ec too seeing as plants dont need as many nutes late on.

I run at an ec of 1.8 max no matter how i grow in hydro so i'll drop my ec to 1.4 with the food being made up of 50/50 grow/bloom for 3-4 days,then i'll drop that to 1.0ec till theres only a week left.

The final week i just feed 1ml/grow up until the last 2 days which i'll use just tap water.

What ive found with me not feeding excessively is that if i feed just water i get yellow leaves after just two days,and if this is a fortnight from the end your plant is stressing for 2 weeks and not reaching its potential.The early yellowing leaves also tells me that if my plants are yellowing after just 2 days they have no excess of nutrient in them and my feeding throughout has been pretty much ideal

Ive tried all different methods over the years and thought i'd try and take a leaf out of the organic pot growers book and reduce phosporous towards the end and just use grow in the make up

Less phosporus means a better burn and smoother smoke,and my bud using this method is as smooth as ive ever had it

Plus I believe that it helps with yield seeing as the plant has a little food to keep going throughout its life

I also believe that folk that insist on using high ec's can address the flushing issue earlier and start to drop their ec's 3 weeks before chop.This will help reduce nutrient levels in the plant without affecting its growth because as i said earlier the plant doesnt need as much food towards the end

And as a final word,if you do use plain water for however long dont ph down it cos all you are doing is putting in exactly what we are trying to get out

Also if I find a better way that suits me i'll have to update this

Owd

Here's the url since there are questions asked and answers given: Flushing Owd's way

With respect to RO water and hard water, particularly the hardness you described, I actually agree with you, it is better. What I was talking about was much softer water. It really is bizarre when people with water much softer than you go out and buy an RO filter thinking it will improve yields. This was the point I was trying to make as a general thing, despite the fact that your water is bad.

I've just germinated 10 regular SmellyBerry seeds (I always buy regular rather than the hyped of female seeds, or even the dreaded shitty autoflowering strains newbies seem to love!) in rockwool. So far 6/10 have come up and the rest should soon follow. They'll be going into my NFT GT 424 tank, except I won't use a spreader matt in veg and will tuck their roots under the rockwool blocks so the roots actually go back into the rockwool blocks and I've able to sex the plants using the Genefinder method and take out any males I subsequently find. This is a great technique for growing regular seeds in the NFT tank which would otherwise not be possible!

Alright guys, I got the new thread up and going, got some pics of my Northern Lights & Afghan Kush, (low quality, sorry guys), Ill make sure theres a link to this thread in the other thread once this one is archived. Hope we can keep this going, I love hearing , seeing other peoples results and trying different things, and debating what works best, haha, I love it, thanks guys for all the help and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.