Info Why we don't use 'SWIM' MEGATHREAD

I'm new to the forums, and used it cause the guide lines say its discouraged! Not that its not allowed. Yeah, it might be annoying, but having a post deleted cause someone is annoyed at reading it is stupid. FOAF is allowed, and I think that is just as annoying.

If bluelight doesn't like SWIM then fuckin say so! Don't say its discouraged, say DON'T USE IT cause we're too annoyed at people who DO use it, and want our forums to be presented in a certain manner.

Fuck this place. I'm going back to Erowid, and getting my info first hand rather than from a bunch of prissy jerks who have nothing better to do than moderate a drug forum for 'illegal/discouraged' words.

It seems pretty clear to me mate............... quoting from here http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124579

* 10 – Do not use the acronym "SWIM" or any variant thereof

This is a completely ineffective way to prevent self-incrimination. Law enforcement is not stupid, and if they wanted to go after you because of a post, using the acronym "SWIM" will not grant you magical immunity in court. If you're truly worried about incriminating yourself, then do not post. 'Nuff said. There are ways to phrase your post in such a way where using an alias like "SWIM" would not be needed. Furthermore, it makes a post difficult to read when "SWIM" is used over and over. If you use this acronym, your post will be edited.

Which part are you struggling with?

Oh and by the way........as you leave Bluelight.......................Try not to slam the door.

Maybe if you asked for help in resolving the situation you'd be taken more seriously, because at this point you just look like you are throwing a hissy-fit without bothering to try and resolve anything... Where did you see the rule "SWIM is discouraged"? Links? Also, if something is 'discouraged' that usually means 'dont do it' so I dont really understand why you would do it anyway....

I'm new to the forums, and used it cause the guide lines say its discouraged! Not that its not allowed. Yeah, it might be annoying, but having a post deleted cause someone is annoyed at reading it is stupid. FOAF is allowed, and I think that is just as annoying.

If bluelight doesn't like SWIM then fuckin say so! Don't say its discouraged, say DON'T USE IT cause we're too annoyed at people who DO use it, and want our forums to be presented in a certain manner.

Fuck this place. I'm going back to Erowid, and getting my info first hand rather than from a bunch of prissy jerks who have nothing better to do than moderate a drug forum for 'illegal/discouraged' words.

=D=D=D=D haha thats some great shit.. I feel the same way jus
about but i like the forum and most of the people in it but i dont let one stupid fucking thing like that get to me haha... I feel anybody should be able to relate to themselves anyway they feel the need to but whatever if im partially incriminating myself on a forum that people all around the world go on and talk about drugs. If your not the only one doing it then the chances of you getting busted is slim to none ... pigs got better things to do haha

You may be disappointed... Erowid doesn't use SWIM either.

As I read it GSXR is annoyed at other boards that do not allow the word 'I' and annoyed at BL that doesn't allow 'SWIM'.
Maybe Im misreading it.

There are plenty of cases where someone posted something illegal online and got traced and prosecuted because of posts. From threats, to pics with drugs, confessions or incrimination. the effectiveness of SWIM is debatable, but posting confessions on BL can potentially lead to trouble. Posts can be a reason for a raid, if the post/photo shows bulk possession, smuggling, chemistry, growing or other major factors.

Which is also why one of the rules here is "Do not incriminate yourself"

You may be disappointed... Erowid doesn't use SWIM either.

LOL +1 for u ;)

i still cant believe he had a hissy fit over SWIM

SWIM thinks he and SWIM are going to go SWIMMING with SWIM later
shiiii i dont even understand it

Suggestion. We had censored words here in the past. Censor SWIM as well, make it appear as "I" instead of SWIM. That should take care of the whole SWIM debacle.

Haha I got a tongue lashing from a member (yes, member, not even someone on staff :D) for changing all the SWIMs in someones posts to "I" :( He made a decent point though, so now I just use whatever name comes to mind.

It provides plausible deniability - if you use SWIM you are not actually admitting to doing something yourself. But even at that other place they discourage SWIM now because it is so obvious. They want you to say it's AFOAF or something.

What is AFOAF?

Anyway, this argument has come up before. SWIM could just as easily mean "someone who *IS* me". Besides, you could just as easily say "Yea I said that online, but I was lying" and it would be pretty hard to prove that you werent. Either way, this is why we have the "dont incriminate yourself" rule.

"A friend of a friend"

Let's say your posts were brought up in court for some reason and read into record ... "someone who isn't me took a lot of meth" sounds slightly better than "I took a lot of meth". Slightly being the operative word here. Obviously I prefer this forum's policy.

i was just wondering why other places use things like SWIM / my pet hamster and why bl doesnt?

Becouse people arent dumb we know your talking about yourself not swim.....SomeoneWhoIsentMe =D i think thats what it stands for?

Bluelight is awash in people openly admitting to using illegal drugs.

SWIM boards aren't. They are awash in people kind of, sort of admitting to using illegal drugs.
it seems that we're still to read a "legal" opinion. you should practice what you preach...
Guess which board is easier/less annoying for LEO to monitor?
"i took drugs"
"swim took drugs"

take exactly the same amount of energy to monitor. i.e. they're equally easy to monitor.

alasdair

Sadly, you're wrong. The law hates the players. The law thinks it IS the game...

I hate SWIM too, btw. My pet "X" is even worse.

In order to obtain a search warrant, probable cause must exist. The probable cause is reviewed based on the totality of the circumstances and may include direct observation, eyewitness testimony and hearsay evidence. While forum posts may not rise to probable cause on their own, they can certainly support probable cause.
In all likelihood, if the prosecution is using a forum post as evidence, they would do it during trial, not to obtain a probable cause search warrant (which they'd need to search your computer or home). The scenario would probably be 1) You get busted with 3 Oxy pills or an oz of weed or E 2) Cops arrest you, possession of the drugs is probable cause for a search warrant of your home to make sure you're not a dealer or to find if you have large quantities of drugs. 3) Your computer is searched and the computer forensics team finds you posting a lot in a drug forum. 4) The prosecution presents your forum posts as supporting evidence, whether you used SWIM or not - if they can match what "SWIM" said they did with what you've done in any way shape or form, it's evidence that'll probably get admitted.

So everybody just chill. And yeah, major dealers shouldn't be talking about their operations online.

what if someone said SWIM and they actually meant it but no one believed them so they went to jail!!!

8(

I think that we should write in big bold letters for greenlighters to stop using SWIM. Maybe even set a capture when posting for when a capitalized SWIM is presented it refuses to pass.

What do you think?

Seeing as how I stumbled upon this by total accident: Yes.

I don't feel comfortable divulging my personal drug history, because it's personal, and alot of the valuable info I have comes from being around other people. Infact, writing about something I experienced while blacked out makes no sense.

I agree SWIM is fucking stupid. And I don't mean to scare anyone, but some people actually have a house filled with intoxicated domestic pets that go clubbing while fucked off their faces. =D

I read the BLUA and it discouraged me from incriminating myself, yet it didn't provide the proper forum etiquette. If someone laid out an MO to follow, I'm sure that would act as a decent solution to avoiding SWIM-like annoyances.