Published [US] [San Francisco] Nonmedical prescription drug sellers

researcher_nat

Greenlighter
The Institute for Scientific Analysis, a non-profit social research institute in San Francisco, is interviewing individuals involved in the distribution of prescription drugs for recreational use. Those who qualify and complete an interview receive $100 cash for their time. Those who refer others who qualify for the study and complete an interview also receive cash compensation. COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL! You don?t even have to give us your real name.

Please call Institute for Scientific Analysis (415-593-2355) and ask for the Pill Sellers Study if you are interested in participating. You will be screened over the phone to see if you qualify and more details will be given at that time.

Thank you!

Edit by TLB: Link to research group's page on this study - A Qualitative Study of Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use - runs 2008-2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to have some more information about this study. If someone in the US decides to participate, please report back your experiences.

If the researchers are reading, we'd love it if you could post your participant information sheet and confirm that your study has received ethics approval - and anything else you'd like to add :)

Our research study is funded by the National Institutes of Health, thus we
adhere to strict guidelines for the protection of human subjects. The
research study has been reviewed and approved by our Internal Review
Board. In addition, we are in possession of a Certificate of
Confidentiality granted by the National Institutes of Health as further
assurance which is available to all our research participants.

Thanks for confirming your ethics approval. I'm still interested in more background about the study. Are you able to post the participant information sheet or similar?

Good luck with your recruitment.

I can't post our entire participant information sheet due to the nature of our recruitment strategies - our requirements for participation change all the time due to the nature of the qualitative methods we use.

I can say that the project is interested in learning more about what prescription drugs people use and sell, how they obtain them and other thoughts/attitudes about prescription drugs versus other street drugs like cocaine or heroin. It is an exploratory study and at this point we are just wanting some basic information about what drugs are out there and what people are using.

Thanks for responding. The link between attitudes towards recreational pharmaceutical drug use compared with 'street' drug use is an important topic, in my opinion.

I can understand the need not to reveal certain recruitment requirements - and I support exploratory, qualitative research. However, there are other stable attributes of the research - such as the funder, the names of the investigator/s - that will interest our members, especially given the kind of information you are collecting. My preference is always for greater transparency where possible :)

We would appreciate it if you could stay in touch by letting us know when you finish data collection and providing us with a link to results or publications when they are available. Actually, is it possible for you to provide an email address that we could contact in years to come to check on the progress of the study? Thanks!

do you have to be a resident of SF? or just be able to get there?

Sure. You can reach me at [email protected].

Our research project is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) who also granted us the Certificate of Confidentiality I mentioned earlier. Our principle investigator is my boss, Dr. Sheigla Murphy. Her contact information should be on our website (see link from my first post).

Garbage: You don't necessarily need to live in SF proper, but you need to be in the Bay Area most definitely and be able to get to our office in San Francisco.

Feel free to call the office to get more information or to go through our screening process. You can reach us at (415)593-2355.

Natalie has informed me that they are still recruiting for this study.

Natalie has informed me that they are still recruiting for this study.

Upon reading the study's page I see the 36 month session in which they were recruiting has ended so I have changed this status to 'Writing-up".