Info Changes to our site disciplinary system

The automatic banning/points system has only been around a while, the record system has been in place years, it has always worked. Previous warnings/infractions have always been taken into account when banning decisions are made. You are getting ahead of yourself, try and make it to the end of the year with no more infractions before worrying what people will think in 10 ay? If you make this topic again in 2020 you may have a point but for now it just stinks of martyr/troublemaking/timewasting nonsense.

Maybe that could be financial?

DNFTT, unless you want a random length Temp-Ban <3 :)

Nonetheless, I still seek absolution.

Say three Hail Marys, seven Our Fathers, and put in 250 hours of community service. We won't care, but it will keep you from clogging a public thread with your self-centered crusade for a bit.

Whether or not I have a "next time" is not up to me, anyway.

But the question remains, How did I progress from a three day ban, to another SINGLE infraction point, to a two week ban?

Next time IS up to you - we all know that, including you. The only response I'll give for your repeated question is that the answer is in the first post of this thread - check the dates of when this policy was put in place and if it was effective for your Temp Ban(s), then keep in mind (as stated in the first post) that the sr staff will retain the right to issue non-standard TempBans as we agree the situation requires.....meaning no lone sr. staffer will issue one on their own, or at least they may issue it but it will not be left in place without sr staff discussion and agreement. That said, the intent is to move away from situations where TempBans are manually assigned, and rely more on the point system outlined above.

DNFTT, unless you want a random length Temp-Ban <3 :)
Hah!

I'm serious. If you go to the effort of policing a forum, diligently building reports and audit trails to evidence bans... you might as well build-in a method of potentially earning something for the sites finances.

I've observed that some people persist in repeating the mantra of "username doesn't matter" or that "postcount doesn't matter"... despite people's constant testament to the contrary. People value their online identity, perhaps not always enough to prevent the loss of an account through banning, but they generally want to retain that identity... even if it is post-hoc inspired.

The loss of an account due to banning doesn't always correct behaviour when the person returns under a different name and, in some cases, it seemed to send people into something of a spiteful cycle where it caused more disruption.

I would suggest that if someone was banned but paid to have the account reactivated, the threat of losing the account for a second time and the wastage of the $50 it just cost them to resurrect it might just encourage the returner to behave. If they don't behave and make amends, then ban them again - you were going to do it anyway as a matter of procedure, but at least the forum is 50 bucks richer for it.

Easy money, little procedural disruption, minimal software implementation required.

My point is that if y'all are willing to concede that folks can change, why not give them the opportunity to expunge their records?
the problem is we've heard it all before. sincerely apologetic users who promise they'll change. and they do for a short time before going back to their disruptive ways.

yes, you might be different and you can prove it by changing your ways. in the meantime, your record will stand on the off chance that you turn out to be just another cynical troublemaker...

a year from now, your reformed actions will speak louder than two or three year-old infractions...

alasdair

the problem is we've heard it all before. sincerely apologetic users who promise they'll change. and they do for a short time before going back to their disruptive ways.

yes, you might be different and you can prove it by changing your ways. in the meantime, your record will stand on the off chance that you turn out to be just another cynical troublemaker...

a year from now, your reformed actions will speak louder than two or three year-old infractions...

alasdair

Suppose somebody pays to have their record erased, and suppose he acts up again...If he wants to erase the new infraction, that's another $XX.

I believe this has been quite thoroughly answered in the thread you started on the topic

felix said:
BA: at present you are not banned and you are still allowed to post on the site.

so quit trolling support, quit bumping old threads, quit seeking attention, and go back to whatever you normally do, but without racking up any more warnings or infractions.

we will never allow users to clear their troublesome pasts by throwing money at us. end of discussion.

CLOSED.

please stop flogging a dead horse

it's absolutely up to you.

I would have to disagree with that. Somebody posts something subjective or engages in a subjective behavior with no ill intent other than to lol and make others lol; Then the Staff sits down in a circle with each others cocks in hand, and decides what is to be done with that member.

I would have to disagree with that. Somebody posts something subjective or engages in a subjective behavior with no ill intent other than to lol and make others lol; Then the Staff sits down in a circle with each others cocks in hand, and decides what is to be done with that member.

^This is exactly true.

In fact, I could be infracted for this very post. And if that happens, what can I do...lol, complain to admin :\ ?

People value their online identity.

It's true. I would pay good money to have my old identity back. The keyword is identity and not screen name so your troublesome past isn't cleared.

You get banned. Your can't log in with your old screen name anymore. You are allowed to come back and stay based on good behavior so you register a new name. You can now log onto Bluelight and post again. Your old screen name is dead but why does the person behind the screen name actually have to be dead? Why can't your posts, post count, and join date be shifted from you old name to the new one?

Last edited:
^This is exactly true.

In fact, I could be infracted for this very post. And if that happens, what can I do...lol, complain to admin :\ ?

Indeed.

There are some Staff Members here where I could call somebody a few choice words and make a few choice comments and they would probably laugh it off. But there are also some who would warn me or want to ban me for said choice words and comments.

And that is when Staff politics come into play.

You have to keep in mind that staff are just mere mortals and a lot of the time will be making judgement calls. Of course different people have different points of tolerance, you can't expect everyone to have exactly the same attitude towards everything. If a member of staff makes a decision in their forum then it's up to them, they were picked for the job and get a certain amount of responsibility and are trusted to do as they see fit within reason. This is not to say poor staff conduct is overlooked, if a member of staff is acting like a dickhole they are, at the end of the day, as accountable as anyone else. Just because the process isn't public doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

the Staff sits down in a circle with each others cocks in hand, and decides what is to be done with that member.

Excuse me. I said EXCUSE ME. (Oh sorry, Im a huge wwe fan and got carried away.)

Anyways can someone point me in the direction of this circle cos I want in. Is this an SLR thing? Damn we only get cuddle puddles. I want dick in hand damn it.

Oh and solution for you guys to get rid of your infractions and its free.........start a new account and stop using the old one.

Excuse me. I said EXCUSE ME. (Oh sorry, Im a huge wwe fan and got carried away.)

Anyways can someone point me in the direction of this circle cos I want in. Is this an SLR thing? Damn we only get cuddle puddles. I want dick in hand damn it.

It's at an abandoned warehouse down from where I live. Come alone.

Oh and solution for you guys to get rid of your infractions and its free.........start a new account and stop using the old one.

Everyone knows that, I think they are worried more about their identity. Hence the post I made;

You get banned. Your can't log in with your old screen name anymore. You are allowed to come back and stay based on good behavior so you register a new name. You can now log onto Bluelight and post again. Your old screen name is dead but why does the person behind the screen name actually have to be dead? Why can't your posts, post count, and join date be shifted from you old name to the new one?

c'mon, guido, everybody knows that rewarding children for bad behaviour is just poor parenting.

alasdair

Because joining accounts is difficult and time-consuming.

I don't know if you were here a few (5?) years ago when BL had to re-set everyone's passwords? There were problems on the board, so everyone got a new password emailed to them. But lots of people had stopped using the email addresses that were associated with those accounts. So all of a sudden, they had no password to their account. And the general response was 'sorry, but it's your responsibility to keep your account up-to-date. Start a new account'. This happened to a lot of people - even people who were friends with admins IRL. They still had to start a new account, with no posts.

So I can't really see why someone who had been temp-banned would get the benefit of having their accounts combined.

[btw Guido I like you and would argue in your favour, but you have to accept that this isn't /b/, and the rules and standards are different :)]

start a new account and stop using the old one.

so then what do you do if you try doing that, but get threatened with a ban simply for using a new account, despite not breaking any rules, and doing nothing even worthy of an infraction or warning?

You won't. As long as you make clear you are ceasing to use the old account.

Because joining accounts is difficult and time-consuming.

I don't know if you were here a few (5?) years ago when BL had to re-set everyone's passwords? There were problems on the board, so everyone got a new password emailed to them. But lots of people had stopped using the email addresses that were associated with those accounts. So all of a sudden, they had no password to their account. And the general response was 'sorry, but it's your responsibility to keep your account up-to-date. Start a new account'. This happened to a lot of people - even people who were friends with admins IRL. They still had to start a new account, with no posts.

So I can't really see why someone who had been temp-banned would get the benefit of having their accounts combined.

[btw Guido I like you and would argue in your favour, but you have to accept that this isn't /b/, and the rules and standards are different :)]

Well, it has been done in the past for Moderators before (rarely I might add so it must be hell of a job) but if it is so time consuming then change the name. I'm not even talking a Temp-Ban. I'm talking about a ban where you are Perma-Banned but allowed to register a new account and user name.

You following me Modfag guy?

A person gets permanently banned for whatever reason (shitting in Finders garden, prostitution with GM via PM, posting owls, etc...) and they can't log in anymore. That user name is finished. That person registers a new account with a new name. They go on a probation period that's length is dependent on why they were banned and their history. Once that time is up and they behaved, they would get their old account back, however the user name would be changed to the user name of the new account and the new account deleted. No combining, just a simple rename.

Aside from keeping their blog, post, and thread history their infractions and warnings history would be their as well. You could even add something on the warning history about how many bans or temp bans they had.