Info Changes to our site disciplinary system

^Theres no longer any kind of "perma ban" so theoretically they are all just temp bans now, and since its shown how long each temp ban is, members know exactly what they are getting themselves into ahead of time. Also, the people that (I think) you are talking about, if you'll notice, have been allowed back in just a few months, thats a HUGE step from where they were before, when they were "ban on sight".

^Theres no longer any kind of "perma ban" so theoretically they are all just temp bans now, and since its shown how long each temp ban is, members know exactly what they are getting themselves into ahead of time. Also, the people that (I think) you are talking about, if you'll notice, have been allowed back in just a few months, thats a HUGE step from where they were before, when they were "ban on sight".

No Perma-Ban? I find that to be good yet bad. For example Splatt is Temp-Banned for 5 years because:

"Over the course of a few years, he trolled the shit out of AusDD staff, compromised a few accounts including one that got him access back into the staff forum after he'd been removed from staff so he could collect personal information and threaten the site and staff with (forged) incriminating information, and generally being a total dick."

Shit like that along with sourcing should be a Permanent Ban. However, the Temporary-Ban for acting silly, trolling, jack assery is welcoming. I'm glad to see the group of Staff we have now are thinking things through and punishments and actions are not based on biased opinions of people but certain things do indeed need a Permanent-Ban.

I still can't help but be angered by this in a way. ClubbinGuido (Me) a long time member and Moderator was Permanently Banned over jackassery that happened to occur in a forum dedicated to jackassery. I never trolled Staff forums or Focus Forums. But some other Bluelighter gets a 5 year Tempoary-Ban for threatening Staff, collecting information, and trolling the living shit out of Staff Forums. Like it or not, I will never let that go because of the circumstances it happened under.

Your account will never come back (except in electronic zombie form). You, the person, are already back.....

Splatt the account will never come back. The person is eligible to come back at the end of the term.

Should we have banned you, the person, banned for longer?

Your account will never come back (except in electronic zombie form). You, the person, are already back.....

Splatt the account will never come back. The person is eligible to come back at the end of the term.

Should we have banned you, the person, banned for longer?

Oh I see. I was under the impression that Splatt the person along with the account was eligible to come back.

My answer is I should of been Temporarily Banned and allowed to come back as ClubbinGuido and I'm sure some of you agree. However, due to Staff politics and generally faggotry on the part of other Staff this was not possible. Regardless, this thread isn't about that and I actually am becoming bothered by thinking about it.

It's been noted that when someone is under a suspension, registering additional accounts will lead to more infractions which creates longer bans....it creates the quandry of how to communicate questions or concerns to the site whilst in that suspended state. For those wondering, here are some sample questions, and their related answers:

1. I have had numerous names over the years and I was wondering if you are going to reinstate one or am I going to make up a new one?
    Our policy is that if you've screwed up enough to be on this kind of list, those account names aren't coming back. You, the 'person' are able to return, but your old 'screenname' is dead. Please register a new account when you are eligible.

2. 2. I've read that I come back Sept. 2010. Does that mean I come back on the 1st of Sept. or on a specific day?
    It wasn't specified, but technically September 1st is in September, so that would be the first date of eligibility for return.

3. 3. So when Im back, does my warning level go back down to zero and how many more warnings until banishment again?
    We've debated this, and it isn't quite set in stone as yet. Some of us prefer that the old points be carried over, so future generations of staff are aware of the problems caused....please note, however, that given the time frames, most of those points would have expired and will not be counting towards any future bans, and nobody but staff can see the point count. Others prefer to let the new account come in with zero points, though we keep note of who this new person used to be and how many points they'd earned under that old account. Regardless of how we keep notes on people, the net effect to any banned person is the same - you are coming in clean again.

4. 4. If I think of any more questions, is there an email address I can send them to? I dont think it is a good idea to post in this forum any more than this one time.
    You are correct, posting here or registering simply to ask these questions probably won't be smiled upon too much. However, there is a 'Contact Us' link at the bottom right corner of every page which will submit your questions to the admin group. If it is something specific to your case, we may respond via email (use one you can receive a response with). If the questions are beneficial for all to learn, such as the ones raised here, we'll post the response publicly for you and anyone else to learn. If it is simply more trolling, we won't respond at all - we reserve that right.

As these are good questions, unasked and unanswered before, we've put this here for you. We'll also add this to the OP for future readers that might miss it in the thread. :)

Last edited:
We wanted to come back and bold-emphasis this part:

You'll note some of those have multiple usernames listed, part of our system will be that if another account is registered during that Temp Ban period, the ban on the original account is extended and that recent alias is banned. It is on the offender to abide by the ban or have it extended. Members are asked to help us identify those persons when you see them back on site during a temporary ban of their account (you can PM a staff member or use the REPORT function on their posts).

Since some people aren't getting this message. Moreover, we do attempt to communicate this policy with any temp ban - but if it's posted here the member OUGHT to be aware of it.

How is it that my first ban was 3 days...and then 1 point later, I had a two week ban?

Shouldn't it have been a 7 day ban?

Also, TLB said that all points expire in one year. But my last infraction says it "never" expires. What's the deal with that?

The points ability to get you banned expires after one year, but the point always stays on your record, I'm pretty sure thats true across the board, despite what some of them say (though I could be wrong). As for the jump from 3 days to 2 weeks, are you sure you didnt get a 2 point infraction? That would cause that.

As for the jump from 3 days to 2 weeks, are you sure you didnt get a 2 point infraction? That would cause that.

Nope, 1 point.

But, I'm willing to compromise. How's about staff makes my next banning 7 days, to make up for the lost time?

Nope, 1 point.

But, I'm willing to compromise. How's about staff makes my next banning 7 days, to make up for the lost time?

How about you not have a "next time" :) Then you wont lose any time at all.

How about you not have a "next time" :) Then you wont lose any time at all.

Whether or not I have a "next time" is not up to me, anyway.

But the question remains, How did I progress from a three day ban, to another SINGLE infraction point, to a two week ban?

consider taking responsibility for your own actions - it's what adults do...

Oh, but I do.

Nonetheless, I still seek absolution.

The disciplinary system here is entirely schizophrenic. They make all bans only temporary, because they think people can change. Yet, they leave the infractions permanently on your record because they think people can't change.

Ain't nothing wrong with holding folks accountable for their actions. That's all well and good. But they should allow folks to make atonements.

They make all bans only temporary, because they think people can change. Yet, they leave the infractions permanently on your record because they think people can't change.
there's no doublethink required here. allowing for the fact that people can change and keeping a permanent record so that a dynamic staff can see the full picture are not mutually exclusive.

you seem to want your cake and eat it...

:\

alasdair

there's no doublethink required here. allowing for the fact that people can change and keeping a permanent record so that a dynamic staff can see the full picture are not mutually exclusive.

you seem to want your cake and eat it...

alasdair

If a person has stayed out of trouble for years...why would new staff members need to know about ancient infractions?

Plus, giving a person a way to make atonements can only do good. What motivation does a person have to make meaningful contributions to this site if he knows that, no matter what he does, his record is always tarnished?

If a person has stayed out of trouble for years...why would new staff members need to know about ancient infractions?
it allows the staff - who may not have been around when the original disruption took place - to see the complete picture of that bluelighter's participation. a fully informed staff is a good thing.
What motivation does a person have to make meaningful contributions to this site if he knows that, no matter what he does, his record is always tarnished?
you should need no more motivation than that of simply doing the right thing.

frankly, the martyr act is an instant turnoff...

alasdair

Binge Artist said:
What motivation does a person have to make meaningful contributions to this site if he knows that, no matter what he does, his record is always tarnished?

What difference does it make whether a record is clean or not to how a member behaves or contributes? None. A good member will accept when they have broken the rules and get the fuck on with trying to positively contribute to the website. This clean/dirty record augment is contrived and without substance.

Each case is looked at on its own merit, if a great poster made a few mistakes when new to the board then they will most likely be overlooked. If the offences were more serious or of a different nature it would be useful to a new staff member to be able to see this. ali explains it simply:

alasdairm said:

the system works and is not worth changing for some hypothetical cases which may never arise.

the system works and is not worth changing for some hypothetical cases which may never arise.

The system has been around for a few months...the real "villians" won't even be back until September (or 2015, for the REALLY bad guys). How do you know it works?

My point is that if y'all are willing to concede that folks can change, why not give them the opportunity to expunge their records? Why not put your (or better yet, MY) money where your mouth is? I would say, for example, the price I'd be willing to pay to be "whole" again would do Bluelight far more good than what ever benefit some moderator from 10 years in the future would have in knowing about a "Jack Lalanne" post I got infracted over.