Completed Recreational use of prescription stimulants

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Do you have experience using different types of prescription stimulants?

Link removed

Researchers at Inflexxion, Inc. are conducting a survey to better understand the recreational use of prescription stimulants. You will be asked to complete an anonymous online survey, which will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Participation is voluntary. There is no payment for completing the survey.

If you have questions, please contact the research team at [email protected].

This project is sponsored by Shire Pharmaceuticals.

Note, this sponsor will be providing a donation to Bluelight for our help.

The survey will only run for the next 4 weeks (until ~ end February 2010)
Survey extended in an effort to get more respondents. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
The survey is now closed! Thanks to everyone for their efforts. We look forward to seeing the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much money does it cost to obtain Adderall XR® without a prescription from a doctor? Please include dollar amount and dosage strength below

I'm confused about this question. One can't obtain it from a doctor w/o a prescription. It is obtained from a pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor only.

U can maybe get samples, which are free. Doctors don't sell meds. And it did ask in the beginning whether u live in the States, so I'm assuming this is a survey based on US laws.

Last edited:
How much money does it cost to obtain Adderall XR® without a prescription from a doctor? Please include dollar amount and dosage strength below

I would read it as 'how much money does it cost to obtain Adderall without a prescription?'. They must have put 'from a doctor' in case clarification was required about the word 'prescription'.

This is spearheaded by a large pharm firm, not an academic researcher. Is the motive to increase profits with cheap data on their target demographics or to help humanity by producing knowledge?
(I know we won't see an answer.)

This is spearheaded by a large pharm firm, not an academic researcher. Is the motive to increase profits with cheap data on their target demographics or to help humanity by producing knowledge?

Obviously I can't answer that question, but having just read the participant information, I can see that an Inflexxion medical researchers has received funding from a pharm firm to conduct an “Internet Survey on Use of Medications for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) among Drug Discussion Board Participants”.

I imagine this study will add knowledge about pharm stim use in non-medical contexts - there is already a lot of research going on in this area. Specifically it is focusing on samples of people from drug discussion boards; this one, maybe others? Research questions that come to my mind are: what pharm preparations are most popular for recreational use? How are they used? How does knowledge about them spread through drug discussion boards? The bigger question for me is about understanding how new drug trends spread in an internet-enabled world.

I can see potential for these kinds of projects to add to research knowledge and not just be able market information for companies. But I'm also a bit of an optimist ;)

I almost didn't want to take the survey because. I didn't want to help someone stop me from being able to abuse stimulants LOL!

mmmm...I don't really want to contribute to the development of new formulations lacking superior efficacy, undergone for patent-grabbing purposes only. However, I think the benefits outweigh this concern.

There shit sucks. They dont make Dexedrine.

Plus adderal sucks, and Vvyanese led to my downfall.....

I believe dexedrine xr actually helped me. But definently not vvyanese, that shit not only sucked, but had alot of side effects.

I couldn't finish the survey becuase it asked if I used illegal drugs and I said no. I never knew drugs were illegal haha.

Last edited:
In the long run . . .

I always wonder about the longer-term effects of using these types of stimulants . . . I legitmately have ADHD, but I totally use multiple drugs simultaneously for reasons other than precribed - they help me focus, stay awake, study better, feel more in control, etc. Most of the people I go to school with (in a master's program) all use these drugs as a matter of course - it is taken for granted that they help improve your performance in terms of the intellectual abilities around focus, memory, retention, etc.

I am really curious as to whether this trend will eventually be legimitized over the next few decades. I think it might become more and more of a focus for big pharma to develop drugs to help improve focus, memory, academic performance, etc. that are commonly prescribed and less restricted. If this happens, I wonder whether it will eventually effect our ability to do this stuff WITHOUT the artificial help. Hmmm. . .anyone else curious or have ideas along this line?

My thoughts are that using these drugs over the long term to improve academic performance will definitely affect our academic abilities if/when the drugs are not available or we decide not to take them. I think there may well be a legitimisation of 'smart drugs', but there may also be a backlash against performance enhancement too.

If societies around the world continue to privilege bigger, better, faster, smarter - 'smart drugs' start to become (or have already become) normal tools to achieve this. It will be interesting to come back to this question 5, 10, 20 years from now.

I took the survey ....

But the only reason I take them Is I think I have pretty bad ADHD but my rents don't believe me so I buy them off my friend and only use them for studying purposes.

even when I indicated that I only used X stimulant when it was prescribed to me, and only in the manner in which it was prescribed, the survey still insisted that I answer the questions about how I obtained it without a prescription, and how I used it in a non-medical way. also, I indicated I never used Vyvanse, but it still asked me a few questions about it...

My thoughts are that using these drugs over the long term to improve academic performance will definitely affect our academic abilities if/when the drugs are not available or we decide not to take them. I think there may well be a legitimisation of 'smart drugs', but there may also be a backlash against performance enhancement too.

If societies around the world continue to privilege bigger, better, faster, smarter - 'smart drugs' start to become (or have already become) normal tools to achieve this. It will be interesting to come back to this question 5, 10, 20 years from now.

In Australia, there have been thoughts (and calls?) for testing of nootropics etc before school exams. http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/call-for-testing-on-smart-drugs-20091001-gep6.html

even when I indicated that I only used X stimulant when it was prescribed to me, and only in the manner in which it was prescribed, the survey still insisted that I answer the questions about how I obtained it without a prescription, and how I used it in a non-medical way

This concerns me. I will forward this to the researcher and see if they can provide comment or clarification.

Yes I have have experience using different types of prescription stimulants? My experience is not having one. I can't even complete the survey without pharmaceutical assistance.

I didn't take the survey, because I prefer anonymity, but I have used Adderall XRs in college on a handful of exam situations. I can safely say that without them, my life might not be like it is today. They truly work, and it is a shame that side-effects keep this drug from OTC sales. Hopefully, nootropics will become a focus of pharmaceutical development in the near future.

P.S. I work for a clinical research corporation, and one of our studies has to do with subjective and objective assessments of mental/psychological performance when using some herbal nootropics. So at least they are trying.

^this

i am prescribed Amps for my ADD

have been since i was 11

i dont think i have ever used Adderall recreationally and IMO/E Adderall isnt recreational (but i know it is for others)

A response from Theresa Cassidy (of Inflexxion):

Thank you for following up and bringing this concern to our attention. Regarding the survey branching, we reviewed and re-tested the programming and it seems to be working correctly. If someone responds that they have been prescribed a drug but had not used it in a non-prescribed manner, then they do not get presented with questions about non-prescribed use. There is a survey question that asks participants if they used certain products specifically in a way not prescribed (with images). There is an option in this question presented after the product images that states “I have not used any of these drugs in the way described above.” It may be possible that the individual who posted the concern/question misread that question or did not scroll to the bottom of the page and missed the “I have not used any of these drugs…” option as a response. To avoid potential confusion for others, it may be helpful to point out that this option exists and could be missed if you do not scroll to the full page.

Again, thank you for bringing this concern to our attention and we appreciate your partnership and participation by Bluelight members on our survey. Please feel free to contact me if there are any additional questions/concerns.