Completed Recreational use of prescription stimulants

I know the OP indicated this study would run through February, but we've been contacted by Inflexxion that their survey is only at about 40% of the number of respondents needed; so we're picking up our advertising of the study and encouraging anyone who can to participate in this survey. They are hoping to reach their sample size by the end of this month (March 2010).

Completed to help with Bluelight funds.

Do feel a bit uneasy about it but value the site. Would prefer the pay per click funding idea to be honest.

Answered all questions honestly and thoroughly.

Thank you very much for your participation and honesty. We have a thread in SUPPORT regarding other ways of funding our site, but for now, there are a few research groups willing to 'donate' to the site in return for recruiting survey takers that match the demographic they need - a situation that benefits both parties when BL provides the link between research and drug user. If you (or anyone else) would like to take up the discussion of other ways to fund the site, we invite you to participate here - Donations Discussion thread

It's also nice to know that what they projected to be a 30 min survey is taking most people much less time to complete; and more importantly that they are responding to feedback about how the survey is written and operating so as to ensure a much more accurate end result. Our thanks to all who have participated as well as those offering constructive feedback.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and for completing the survey.

I acknowledge there are divergent views on whether we should support research sponsored by pharma companies. For the moment, we ask you to support this study by responding genuinely/honestly. Please don't complete the survey if you don't feel comfortable supporting the research - it's better to decide not to do it than to complete the survey using fake information.

On a broader level, Bluelight needs to have a public discussion about how we fund this site. As others have mentioned, we have to get enough funding to run the site - and we all agree that we need to keep things afloat. The debate would be about how we choose to meet our financial imperatives. But that is for another thread :)

Yes, indeed - and while we currently rely on member donations, the larger portion of funding to keep this site afloat is currently in the form of research 'donations' in return for our help in recruitment. The link above (Donations Discussion thread) is very much available to discuss alternative funding sources, and all are welcome to participate in that discussion. We've tried to address, to some degree, the discomfort some of you feel in taking these surveys, in that we strive to ensure our member's maintain their privacy and safety, and BL will not work with someone who will endanger you or the site. That said, there is still room for the debate on how closely we should, and can, work with such researchers when we are doing so, in part, for the funding it provides. If we can develop better alternative sources of funding, we can perhaps lessen our dependence on this type of arrangement; but we will still be in favor of helping researchers who can reduce the amount of harm people might inflict on themselves based on what they learn from the world's drug using population.

The site's main goal is Harm Reduction, the act of performing recruitment duty for studies is both in support of global harm reduction AND a means to keeping our site (and thereby our information and community) online and available to everyone. Everyone's participation in this effort is appreciated, and keeps this site available for those who need the information and support we can provide.

The discussion on BL's overall role with researchers, and it's impact on the (ab)use of pharmaceuticals and-or illicit drugs that fill the void of discontinued or modified pharmaceuticals is a valid one, but bigger than the scope of this thread. I'll take it up with the forum mods on if this should be a DS thread, or something in SUPPORT that sidesteps the funding aspect but focuses on the site's role in the online drug community.

Thanks TLB for putting it all into perspective!

one word funding. You think running bluelight is free? I hate big pharm as much as the next guy but i love this site and i know that bluelight saves lives these surveys are a neccesary evil since the sites funding is no longer assured.

qft

It bothered me they listed x as a recreational stimulant. It has stimulant and psychedelic properties. Wouldn't it be better classified as an empathogen / entactogen rather than a traditional amphetamine? I've done, but dislike, amphetamine stimulants. I love MDMA. Just a personal gripe, though =\ I took the survey.

Completed. Would have liked to see more comprehensive questioning. I have taken Dexedrine occasionally per prescription, but that wasn't included at all, and there was no room for someone that does not have ADD/ADHD to answer that they had been prescribed stimulants. I have no formal diagnosis of ADD/ADHD even though I have severe symptoms at times as a result of PTSD. My doctor prescribes for me during exams or if I am having a rough spell. I find them on my own if I feel necessary for midterms and such.

And to the survey people - this survey is worthless for you in terms of studying and trying to affect college campus behavior. There are more than enough chem students and savvy drug dealers to do extractions for their buddies or clients. It will only drive up the price of the product a little bit. People already pay exorbitantly for prescription stimulants, and most people do not feel that those prices are high. And there is a reasonably large population of students, like myself, that have legitimate issues that frequently take them "as prescribed" without a prescription - it's why I prefer Adderall XR - which will confound your data.

Thank you for completing this survey.
Good for bluelight I guess, but it seems to exist solely to push future ADD pills that will be supposedly harder to abuse.

Amphetamines meant that I could party all throughout my first year of undergrad and only only have to study one night per week for my chem honors class. All night speed freakouts sponsored by Adderrall IR®! If only Vynase were available I might have been forced to study like two nights or even three nights a week! Thank God for good ol' pharmaceutical grade speed!

I've since quit but sometimes I miss the good times and the blast of euphoria during onset (I always took a little more than needed!). I would also use it to party harder on occasion, speed + booze = fun, fun, fun until the speed wears off and you are are left blacked the fuck out. Before that though you seem like a God who can drink ALL you want and still maintain intense arguments or provide endless entertainment.

Thanks BIG PHARMA! You've helped more than more one young professional through school and into the big leagues!

I'm confused about this question. One can't obtain it from a doctor w/o a prescription. It is obtained from a pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor only.

U can maybe get samples, which are free. Doctors don't sell meds. And it did ask in the beginning whether u live in the States, so I'm assuming this is a survey based on US laws.

obviously there are some of us who recreationally using stimulants w/o a script...im assuming they are asking about street value

Vyvanse is shit. It honestly may have the worst comedown of any drug ever in existence.

A big middle finger to this survey, I chose adderall today!

done.

interesting survey... i dont know what to think of it really but im a perfect candidate for it ;)

hope they PAY UP :D

Prescribed Drugs

Do you have experience using different types of prescription stimulants?

Take the survey

Researchers at Inflexxion, Inc. are conducting a survey to better understand the recreational use of prescription stimulants. You will be asked to complete an anonymous online survey, which will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Participation is voluntary. There is no payment for completing the survey.

If you have questions, please contact the research team at [email protected].

This project is sponsored by Shire Pharmaceuticals.

Note, this sponsor will be providing a donation to Bluelight for our help.

The survey will only run for the next 4 weeks (until ~ end February 2010)
Survey extended in an effort to get more respondents. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Talking from experience, I found that certain prescribed drugs are a thousand times worse than smack and charlie. About 35 years ago I went to a doctor to get help as I was hooked on Heroin. He was just an ordinary GP. He prescribed a mixture of Valium 10mg, DF118 and Doridon, which is a sleeper discontinued a long time ago. Actually the combination of these pills gave me a buz that I soon became well hooked on. I wasn't supposed to take as many as I did though. I quickly developed a tolerence and needed at least 30 of each every day. I was conning every GP in East London, where I lived at the time. I was in a terrible state, my nerves were shot completely and I shook like an alkie with alzheimers and if I had no Valium, I would have fits. One time I accidently OD and almost died. Eventually I came off with Epinutin, but it took me nearly 6 months to get back to normal. I lost everything, my family, my business, my home, and worse of all I lost all my self respect.
No doubt thier are/were thousands just like me. You don't hear much about it because it's not controlled by gangsters and terroists but by the family doctors....django47(Micky).

Survey done, i've never played with any prescription stimulants so my answers would have been a little boring.

I just wanted to point something out. I clicked to complete the survey, but when I got to the agreement page (where it says «yes I want to complete the survey, etc») I recognized the page and realized I had already completed it a few weeks ago... But the button worked and I could have completed the survey again if I had wanted to!

I'm on the exact same computer, I don't use a proxy, my IP is the same as last time - wouldn't that be a problem for their survey? I mean, anybody here can complete the survey as many times as they want, which would completely invalidate the results...?

Anyways, I hope BL gets a reasonable paycheck for this survey. Keep it up guys!

As quoted from the participant information:

None of your personal information, including your computer IP address (computer ID), will be collected by the online questionnaire program. The data collected will be kept confidential by Inflexxion, Inc. All data will be password-protected, housed on a firewall-protected computer server, and only authorized personnel will be able to access or view it.

So yes, you could complete the survey multiple times. I've found, as a researcher reading studies that employ online surveys, that surveys investigating topics that aren't sensitive will log IP addresses and use them to filter responses for potential multiple responders. But - as Inflexxion have realised - collecting IP addresses of people who are answering questions that may incriminate them is a bad idea!

I think the model of online surveys with no IP address logging is more of a problem if people are getting paid for each submission. Then, people really start to screw with it and enter multiple times...

Bottom line is to answer only once and answer honestly - that is what the researchers hope for. If you've answered twice by mistake, it's not the end of the world. Hopefully people answering 50 times is avoided though.