RFD: FESTIVUS forum - feedback, please

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
Hello everyone, and thank you once again for your participation with the FESTIVUS forum. We'd like some feedback on how well it served it's purpose, how we might use it in the future, or if there are other things we should do instead.

The basic question was - did it work, and is there a better solution? For some, there is the thought that the LOUNGE is intended as a 'global community section' and perhaps we should simply do such events in there for the future. The facts to this are that most members still view the LOUNGE as Americentric, and the EA and AUS crowds tend to stick to their regional social forum more than the LOUNGE....whereas the Americans tend to visit the LOUNGE more and their regional social forum less. Using the LOUNGE for this purpose may help increase the global participation and use of that forum for it's intended purpose.......or it's current stock of content would simply drown out the occasional celebrational things that Festivus can address in a cleaner way. Additionally, there is the belief that moving this content to the LOUNGE and holding it there will improve the content of that forum in the long run (queue never ending whinge of old skoolers how the forum continues to decline, but nobody does anything about it....whereas this would do something about it).

There is the option to combine this into the LOUNGE, do the colours and themed threads there. There is also an option to simply kill Festivus, and go back to allowing the members to do themed threads wherever they choose (not that they couldn't, or wouldn't do that anyways). And, of course, there is the option to keep Festivus as a special place for special events as we did recently. What are your thoughts on this?

IF we keep Festivus as it is, the next question would be when do we open it? For what occasions? Winter holidays and NYE was an obvious point to launch it, but do we keep it open for Chinese New Year? St. Patricks Day? Aussie Day? My birthday? Where would we draw the line? To answer that, we again turn to those who would be using the forum and ask YOU! Can you give us dates you'd like to see the forum open, and provide reasons why it would be the right place to hold that event? Ideally, I'd see us gathering the input from everyone over the next 2 weeks and then putting a poll up to allow our members to vote on which occasions merit being open, and which are only to appease a few persons; reason being IF Festivus is kept as a special place, we wouldn't want it open year round ... at that point it may as well be the LOUNGE, wouldn't it?

So what is your feedback? Your thoughts?

it was nice to have a specific section just to get ppl in the holiday cheer. but imo it was just a xmas themed lounge

shake2, what would you have done different? What would you liked to have seen more of?

I used it but lightly at most. my problem was that there were duplicate threads running in the festivus forum and the lounge. if they got moved no one followed them. the conversation would continue in another thread.

here's an idea: if we had a dedicated holiday forum that each social discussion group could link to people might use it.

example-
Community-
Healthy Living
Current Events and Politics
Sex, Love and Relationships
Philosophy and Spirituality
Education & Careers
Legal Discussion
Second Opinion
The Lounge
Science & Technology
holiday

Australia & Asia
Australian Drug Discussion
Australian Social & Events
holiday

Australia & Asia
Australian Drug Discussion
Australian Social & Events

Europe & Africa
European Drug Discussion
European Events
holiday

North America & South America
North & South American Social & Drug Discussion
North American Events
holiday....ect and so forth

this way it could be a year round forum of its own with its own mod and rules like the rest of this site. it would be easy to access for everyone and visible. anybody could post any holiday they wanted to. personally i like the idea of bringing the holidays together globally. i want to hear all about wtf aussie day is and how its celebrated :D

further more for the big holidays we could theme the page to appropriate colors. example snow flakes falling in december, bats or some shit for oct. I dunno, whoever feels inclined for work for that.

why am i in support? lol i must be high

Well, the point of making it one forum, rather than one in each regional area or whatever, was to bring users across the site together as a whole who wouldn't otherwise interact with other users.

i didnt know the one forum idea had been posed RR. guess i misread.

holiday- all links to the same forum. its widely visible no matter what forum you frequent is the point. since its always up, people become accustomed to posting there for little to no hassle.

edit- looks like lovebandit wants to mix lounge EU and AUS holidays. put holiday link (all goes to the same page) in their common areas (not banners or links with in threads)

Last edited:
tricking? you could write up a disclaimer if you thought people might feel tricked. i'd post in it just to see what other countries (not usa)are all about holiday wise. i might even make a holiday up and discriminate false information :)

I participated and enjoyed getting to know a few very cool new folks. I know the holidays chat room was not officially run/operated by Bluelight (same as other chatrooms in which BLers participate), but I really had a lot of fun in there!

Thanks to the staff for the chance to enjoy a special treat. The color scheme grew on me a bit over time.

As to the time question: perhaps put it up just before Thanksgiving and end it around the time one might recycle their Christmas tree (around the same time as this year)? I think that works well for most people.

"Happy ____________ Day/Holiday" threads for other holidays could fit into a few different forums (the Lounge, SO, EADD, Aus Social) and people could enjoy participating in the forums they frequent. I definitely agree, though, that getting to know people in other places I wouldn't have gotten to know otherwise was my favorite part of the Festivus Forum. I'd like to see it happen next holiday season. :)

I participated and enjoyed getting to know a few very cool new folks. I know the holidays chat room was not officially run/operated by Bluelight (same as other chatrooms in which BLers participate), but I really had a lot of fun in there!

So did I and it was fun chatting with you during our christmas party.

Im also interested in any feedback regards the party and what people might like to add for next year.

There are already a few ideas brewing involving the music side of things which was truly a magic part of the concept.

So did I and it was fun chatting with you during our christmas party.

I enjoyed it tremendously as well, many thanks for your holiday cheer and companionship, and your having been integral in making the whole thing happen. :)

I'm not sure how the Festivus Forum could be "advertised" any further than it was, but I'd like to see more folks participate next year. I know if I was joining Bluelight for the first time or, as a longer-term member, wanting to get to know more Bluelighters, I'd find the Festivus Forum or similar to be welcoming and fun.

Hence why I'd like to see it back next holidays. :)

It was crap, that mazdan guy never replied to my eggflip Big M post
13.gif

It was crap, that mazdan guy never replied to my eggflip Big M post
13.gif

Ahh crap. Im sorry man. I dont even know what your talking about but I will try and check it out when it gets opened next. hey...send a copy to my PM box and i will try and reply that way.

Oh and did you like the way i managed to bump this thread without appearing to?

DOH.

I was hurt dan, very hurt :(

DO you remember Eggflip Big M's? Because if you do they were basically eggnog (horrible things they were, best thing the dairy ever did was to take them of the market, but then again don't you find that Big M's in general just don't taste like they used to? What's up with THAT?!), except eggnog without alcohol, which kinda defeats the purpose of eggnog, if you know what I'm saying (which you probably don't, because you've never had eggnog, well, rest assured, it's NOT the sort of thing you want to be drinking on 35 degree days anyway, so put your mind at rest! :D)