• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's a "hard drug"?

BcL07

Bluelighter
Someone made the comment that they wanted to stay away from "hard drugs like opiates". I'm sure when you're doing something like shooting up heroin, or doing acid, that's "hard". Just wondering what else falls into that category, and what really makes something a 'hard' drug?

I'm asking because I just simply don't know what a 'hard drug' entails, but I hear that word a lot.

Lortab is an opiate, but it wouldn't be a 'hard' drug.. or would it?

Last edited:
I don't consider it a "hard drug". I don't think of drugs as "hard drugs" or "weak drugs"... drugs are drugs.

usually something that has a very high pleasure to pain ratio: i.e.: heroin, meth, cocaine, pills (i guess)

I don't even know what lortab is (it's either not available in my country, or it's called something else), but I'd consider a hard drug to be any substance that's highly addictive, damaging, and has no legitimate medical purpose. Meth, heroin, and so on. Usually the ones listed under Schedule I or II of the Controlled Substances Act in the USA (or under Class A of the Misuse of Drugs Act here in New Zealand)

Lortab is hydrocodone (codeine). It's prescribed for pain. I wouldn't say it's anything like heroin or meth that just ruins lives, but for some reason people will call lortab a hard drug. I just don't get it. Then again I don't know a lot about this stuff, that's why I'm asking.

Lortab is hydrocodone (codeine). It's prescribed for pain. I wouldn't say it's anything like heroin or meth that just ruins lives, but for some reason people will call lortab a hard drug. I just don't get it. Then again I don't know a lot about this stuff, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks - I was actually just googling it to find out! I had no idea what it was.

I don't even know what lortab is (it's either not available in my country, or it's called something else), but I'd consider a hard drug to be any substance that's highly addictive, damaging, and has no legitimate medical purpose. Meth, heroin, and so on. Usually the ones listed under Schedule I or II of the Controlled Substances Act in the USA (or under Class A of the Misuse of Drugs Act here in New Zealand)

It's hydrocodone and APAP.

Oh, I didn't know that Chemist... so hydrocodone doesn't have codeine in it then?

Do you know the difference b/w the two? Which is stronger?

"Hard drug" is a just a made-up term that is pretty meaningless really. Generally used to describe whichever drugs are the current demons - usually coke, meth, heroin and other strong opiates but really doesn't have any specific meaning as far as I know.

... any substance that's highly addictive, damaging, and has no legitimate medical purpose. Meth, heroin, and so on.

Meth and heroin both have legitimate medical purposes and are both used medically, albeit rarely and probably not at all in some countries.

Meth and heroin both have legitimate medical purposes and are both used medically, albeit rarely and probably not at all in some countries.

Good point, though they have no medical uses in my country.

If you got busted with a bag of meth and told the cops it's for medical reasons, they'd just laugh. ;)

If you got busted with a bag of meth and told the cops it's for medical reasons, they'd just laugh. ;)

Hehe. Pretty sure that would be the case everywhere - I just can't resist a bit of light pedantry before dinner =D

Whilst I'm at it, cocaine also has legitimate medical uses - same story if caught with a bag of it though I suspect. Just a hunch ;)

^ A friend (well, acquaintance) actually tried that when he was caught with a gram of crystal.

Needless to say, his excuse didn't work. :)

^ A friend (well, acquaintance) actually tried that when he was caught with a gram of crystal.

Needless to say, his excuse didn't work. :)

Well if you think about it, technically it is for medicinal purposes, because you are using it to "medicate" yourself. Therefore the cops are WRONG! lol