• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's a "hard drug"?

Yeah, I was reading about the Controlled Substances Act on Wikipedia before I posted here, and it sounds pretty fucked up. I can't believe it rates weed on par with meth and heroin!

Personally, I think New Zealand's Misuse of Drugs Act is a lot more sensible (although ideally I'd like to see all drugs de-criminalized!). It places the most harmful drugs in the Class A category - LSD, heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc. Then the slightly less risky drugs in the Class B category - morphine, hydromorphone, amphetamine, MDMA, etc. And finally the least damaging drugs in the Class C category - cannabis, barbiturates, and benzos. I'd argue that benzos and barbiturates are actually more damaging than other Class C drugs, but I suppose their medical purposes justify them being Class C.

Yeah but see, LSD in class A? Seriously, you have a better chance of dying from choking on a cough drop than you do of dying from LSD. You can't even get physically addicted to LSD. It's one of, if not THE least harmful drug in existence today. You take all the cigarettes off the shelves and replace them with LSD tabs, and we will all live in a much healthier society. You do the same with alcohol and get the same results. Even caffeine is worse for you than LSD.

Fine, I suppose you could trip out and do something dangerous, but the drug itself, safe. Definately nowhere near heroin, coke or meth on the "danger" scale.

Yeah but see, LSD in class A? Seriously, you have a better chance of dying from choking on a cough drop than you do of dying from LSD. You can't even get physically addicted to LSD. It's one of, if not THE least harmful drug in existence today. You take all the cigarettes off the shelves and replace them with LSD tabs, and we will all live in a much healthier society. You do the same with alcohol and get the same results. Even caffeine is worse for you than LSD.

Fine, I suppose you could trip out and do something dangerous, but the drug itself, safe. Definately nowhere near heroin, coke or meth on the "danger" scale.

I agree. Personally, I'd rate LSD no worse than MDMA in terms of harm. I think all the horror stories of people trying to fly off rooftops is one of the main reasons LSD has it's Class A status... although I suppose the risk of Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) could be a factor too.

In my opinion, some of the hydro/hybrid versions of weed are pretty damn hard. One toke and I've been absolutely wrecked, unable to talk for hours, disassociated, dizzy - now with added SKUNK HANGOVER! Nuh-uh. Over it. I only smoke hash nowadays, it's a lot lighter on my brain.

But I guess I would consider 'hard' drugs to be those with great potential for addiction and a hectic comedown.

I agree. Personally, I'd rate LSD no worse than MDMA in terms of harm. I think all the horror stories of people trying to fly off rooftops is one of the main reasons LSD has it's Class A status... although I suppose the risk of Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) could be a factor too.

HPPD which may or may not even exist, and occurs in less than 1% of the population, compared to nicotine that kills what, half its users? Tobacco is by far the most dangerous drug, and the government rakes in billions in taxes on it. Then turns around and uses that money to bust people for smoking a joint. Incredible.

It's interesting that a lot of people have said they associate hard drugs with a lack of approved medical use, I always thought of it the other way round-opiates/coke/amphetamines/downers as being "hard" and MDMA, weed, psychedelics and so on as "soft".

just my take on it, but a hard drug would be a drug that's hard to stop using. i think of them as the big 3 but have added an obvious one. coke, heroin, & meth. plus alcohol.

^Surely tobacco and benzos/barbs etc should be included in that group too?

I think that any drug that has the potential to kill you is hard. So they're all hard, 'cept weed:D

A soft drug is something that people will not sell there bodies/wifes/xbox360 for

A hard drug you see on the street corners in short skirts in the pawn shop and breaking into peoples homes. Mentally and physical conquerisation will insue with these "hard" drugs