• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The History of Bluelight (attn: Oldskoolers)

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
Bluelight is comming up to it's 3rd Birthday, and so we're going to be writing a history of significant events to put into a timeline. This thread is a request for people to post things that they think are significant and should be included.
There will be two timelines formed - one for the technical side of things (creations of new forums, board crashes, upgrades, etc) and also one from a social side of things (large meetups, things that happened in the real world)... so please specify which timeline your suggestion is meant for... :)
Please try and find out an exact date for when things occur if possible - it'll save the mods and admins from having to look it up later.
Thanks guys! :)
(johnboy: got anything else to add to this?)

not much but one of the biggest sydney meetups was utopia september 29 2001...you may recall the multiple amounts of threads that were locked!
oh and probably 'under the mirrorball' where bluelight was mentioned and tars and co were all interviewed.
[ 24 June 2002: Message edited by: 'lil leecie ]

sorry i don't know the date, but there was about a week when bluelight meetups was down. That was so stressful!!!

3 words to be added to the Social section:
WILD THINGS 2
NB: I did a search for this thread (or any thread relating to this event) and no threads came up in the search....uh....what's going on! :(
nuff said

There was a pretty big melb BL meetup which had about 30 in attendance. I believe it was March of 2000 or thereabouts, SSU at Billboards, and an NRG party at cage. first successful meetup, outside at 1am.

Two things that pop into my memory are the 1st ever bluelight bbq (001) down on the yarra in Melbourne - can't remember the date of it tho (think it was the w/e of gatecrasher??), and as mentioned b4, the 4-corners doco beneath the mirrorball. Aaah what memories!
I think Pinger's trips to Melbourne should also be recorded in the timeline. Those who were there will know why they should be mentioned ;)

that bl bushparty in 1/2001 should also be mentioned, i believe that was one of your first bl experiences pleo?
haha i remember how non jaded u were ;)

^^^^^
Not one of my first - it was the first... And nothing further will be said of that night... ;)
I thought of another important date too - when Enlighten was formed and when they first tested in a club/party. :)

Ok I'm going to mention a few of the meetups that happened in 2000 and 2001.
Ganesha - Sept 2000: Cold as hell, but it was a very nice bush doof, and it was also my first meetup. There was a fair few BLters there, but because of the cold I didn't get to meet that many.
BL BBQ 001 - GC w'end 2000: First BL BBQ met heaps of ppl there, twas a great day, cept for again the weather.
Wild Things 1 - Oct 2000: I'm sure that everyone who went to this would agree that this was a great party. Nice, small and intimate, and with great music (laughs at Robert Anthony playing Ultrasonic ;) ), ok well most of it was Techno and Psy Trance. ;) It was well worth me calling sick for work the next morning!
Wild Things 2 - Apr 2001: Sorry I had to mention this one as well. This one gets the double thumbs up from me!
I'll probably mention a few more later

How times change.. if only we could rekindle that lost spirit of Wild Things 2.. argh. Just reading it makes me remember of the times we had :)
Another big meetup (well memorable for most anyway) would be Paul Van Dyk last year.. another rekindling moment :)
Perhaps the bluelight fundraiser event as well?

for the fortunate ones who were there.. :)
(Melbourne of course)
the meetup threads have been lost, sadly.
Jungle Bizness, 1st July 2000
My first proper meetup, and one of the parties of the year. Bush Doof at the Black Spur past Healesville. There were about 20 bluelighters maybe.. which was heaps for that point in time
Caramel Cutie's going away meetup @ the Spleen and then Fact @ Arizona Bar, 14 July 2000
A very emotional night for bluelight melbourne, i still have photos on my wall, hehe. one of our dearest and most loved went back home and has never forgotten it. there were other spleen meetups but i dont have dates for them.
as pekkie said.. ganesha 2000, another big meetup
Sunny Side Up.. every time.
and of course the mother of them all (tarsy you can do the honours), Earthcore NYE 2000/2001. With Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane contingents. The rise and fall of Mr Fist and the elusive Pearshape, good old hazza and his never-been-lost marquee tent, and the golden bluelight memory book.. someone better dig that up.

firstly...pleo..i will name my threads whatever i fuckin want :p i've still got a flier from Wild things and my pretty name tag shadow wrote out for me as well...if like...this is gunna be a coffee table book or something i can scan the flier ;)
ummm also...i think the xmas bbq mostly because it was a biggass $$raising event for bluelight...
and finally...if it was to be a coffee table book (which i'm sure it isn't, but i shall continue anyways)..it should be titled: Can You Fax Acid? (a brief history of bluelight)
[ 24 June 2002: Message edited by: randomblondeboy ]

hehe earthcore 2001 was so siiiiik !!! :)
ahh the formation of enlighten needs to be added. the first party they attended and so forth.

First Australian bluelight meetup was at Sabotage (Metro, Sydney) on the October long weekend 1999 (8th or 9th - not sure).
Technically the very first meetup was the Wednesday night before that with mona, pinger & I but that was at at Kink coffee shop in Oxford St (we had bulbs afterwards in a side street lol) rather than at a party.
I wish I'd kept some of the old threads from back then. I have a few of them printed out but I'm not going to type them up just now...maybe when I've found a job.

As far as big things for CBR, i'd have to say that the recent Twisted Republic thread be added, with people attending from 5 different states, in one lil city is pretty good. :D
DJC*

Who remembers the meet-up at Weary Dunlops statue, St.kilda road, Melbourne ???
Where is everyone ??
That was such a good night. Getting to meet and greet such lovely folk :) I cant remember the date, but i know it was dark !!!!

Aborted BL Melbourne Meet-Up: Two Tribes 2000: 12 March 2000.
Official Melb BL Meetup: Weary Dunlop Statue: 31st March 2000.
First BLs I met: Candyflip, Orion & Space Frog @ Hardware 16: 16 April 2000.
Successful BL Melb Party Meet-Up: Gatecrasher GSS: 23 April 2000.
^ Yep... Johnboy came to Gatecrasher @ The Docklands ;)
Pingers/Smurfs Melbourne Ticker-tape Parade @ Spleen: Weekend of 9-11th June 2000.
This weekend included Nick Warren @ Seven (i think), Paul Van Dyk @ Trade (Docklands), Claude Young/Misstress Barbara @ Pleazure, Winterdaze, Carl Craig @ Prince of Wales, Advent @ Palace, Chris Liebing @ Rotation...
Melbourne was going off that weekend - meetup at Spleen bar was a nice introduction for the NSW boyz Pinger and Smurf, to the Melb Spleen Meetup Crew.
Ball begins rolling for Enlighten-HR: 26th Sept 2000.
An idea for a Bluelight Stall at raves from Bluelight Discussion gets re-started in Melbourne by Haste, Johnboy, Cowboy Mac, Candyflip, Atomica, Kandeman, Pink, Chemical Generation, Madmonkey, MorpheusDAQ, Tarsarlan and too many other enthusiastic contributors for me to list here. Some hundreds of replies later, and the first meeting was held at Prudence on 4th October 2000. Very soon after, other states Bluelighters began their own Harm Reduction efforts (I think the first Sydney meeting was 11 Oct 2000):
See here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here <-- JB quoted in the West Australian.
Enlighten was chosen as a name for the Melb group on 11 Dec 2000. They ran a testing stall at Earthcore NYE 30th December 2000/1st January 2001
BigTrancer :)
[ 25 June 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

first BLers i met were BT and Raider @ tekHQ. that was around sept2000?
then there was a cage meetup where i met haste, Soma, Kezza, atomica & asymmetry.
first met pink and Kandeman at one HK meetup. i think Simkin as well.
Bass Junky's birthday party at HK.
first met Hoffy & Erin at Pure Flow 5.
several unofficial meetups at tezza @hifi (first met nezo and bill at one of these).
:)
digging into the dusty corners of my mind!
edit:
ps. these are my personal events/ramblings. not in direct reply to Pleo but just things which popped up in my head. :)
[ 25 June 2002: Message edited by: GhOst ]