• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What happens when you die?

I see what you are saying. I would agree in some respects, in that I would say it is possible who you are in this life is different from who you are in any other life, but something remains which is essential and eternal. You are a collection of the spirits/energies of your heritage, of your environment, etc. "God" speaks through all of us, we are simply expressions of this force, which is the only being in the universe, but we are still unique, as are all snowflakes unique yet all made of snow, and just as they will melt and go back into the clouds to fall as snowflakes again - once again uniquely their own, distinctly different from all previous and future forms, and so the cycle continues. Just my beliefs, not 100% clear to me yet, obviously :) but then again what sane person is ever 100% sure?

Part of me thinks that you just stop existing, but part of me believes (and hopes) that we become a spirit watching down on our loved one's lives.

Once your body passes I believe you go into a limbo [purgatory] where you are conditioned to being in a new realm. Each soul is unique yet all the same. From there one is orientated into different levels of spiritual perception depending on how you conducted your life and what goals? were set to achieve in that specific body or lifeform you are placed into classrooms dependent on your spiritual progress. In those class rooms you are educated further and prepared for rebirth.

I believe you choose the body or living object you are to be reincarnated into. This depends on how you conducted yourself in your previous life and by what goals/achievements are set out for your particular soul. As many have alot to learn and will spend many, many lifetimes trying to balance the same spiritual ideas/concepts in life and after life. When you have a balance and awareness in both life's you can achieve ultimate nirvana. Once you achieve nirvana you have the ability to sway the physical world in much greater methods. Being reincarnated into the physical world as we know it now [or how rather it is percieved] on the planet earth some sort of remembrance begins to occurs.

You cycle thru human life, plant life, animal life, alien life with an ultimate goal of achieving nirvana or Christ like enlightenment.

Its hard to really put it down in words with limited knowledge or ways to describe it but this is what I believe happens with out a doubt in my mind. I believe its next to impossible to describe the afterlife in an understand able fashion.

Peace,
Seedless

But if there is no 'connection' between this life and the next - how is it really 'you' that is being reicarnated? Wouldn't it just be another consciousness being born? It seems to me that if once you die you are reincarnated but you have no memory of any previous lives, it's the same as saying that when you die that's it, you're gone forever.

That depends what 'you' fundamentally is.

IN all honesty, I really don't know what happens when you die...

I've had a death experience before when i overdosed and was in a coma cause they shocked me back... I experienced something of purgatory... But i have no clue.. it was just all so quick and frightening and then i got sent back for a 2nd chance at life.

I experienced this when i died... so i kinda know (nobody has to believe me) that something is there after you die... I've talked to strange entities on the "other side" (I don't think im really crazy, i dont have any known mental illness)

But yeah... I conduct my life a lot more civilized and nicer now... I've become a "better" person.... through the experience....im so different now.

I think there's alot of stuff that happens after you die... that Death is only the BEGINNING.... Life that we live now.. is kinda like a pre-qual or some shit.. But I do believe that what you do here while you are in your physical form ultimately affects your story in the next realm.

Its crazy guys.... if nothing, i kicked a heavy ass dope habit cause of the experience..... but it changed my life.

that's cool capstone... i always wanted to meet other people with a similar experience man...

Your words describe it beautifully... Mine are elementary in comparison... I might steal your description for anyone who asks... I was just so overwhelmed with everything you know... dieing and shit... LOL...

nothing happens, why should it? There was nothing before.

Have you ever been unconscious due to injury or anaesthetic? What did you experience?

I technically have been dead for less than a minute before being revived due to an intentional "speedball" overdose. I personally experienced nothing more than fading out of consciousness. Although, my Father was in a coma for about 3.5 months and had flat lined three times during that period and claims to have had NDEs that you mostly read about (a white light, euphoria, feeling a divine presence, etc.). However, nobody knows if these experiences actually took place while he had flat lined or were just regular brain activity while he was comatose. Either way, he's convinced it was a sign and went from an agnostic to a new-age hocus-pocus lunatic.

I believe our body permanently shuts down, including our mind or consciousness (or spirit- metaphysically speaking) and we physically deteriorate into other forms of matter (whether or not it becomes a part of or blossoms other life does not indicate an afterlife for us). I don't hold any pantheistic view in which our consciousness happens to meld back into some "universal consciousness", simply based on the fact that consciousness cannot exist without material reality. It makes no sense as to why our sense of self is deceiving. I don't see how it's possible for me to be me while simultaneously I am not me and the universe is me. To say that you have no self, your self must say it, and the fact that your self says it means that it is impossible for there not to be a self.

But to each his own.

Hopefully I'll be able to haunt some of the pricks I've met in my life.

But probably nothing, because experience occurs in the brain. You know, that thing that dies along with the rest of your shit. I think that the "energy" that makes you alive, that being your consciousness/self-awareness, remains in existence, because energy is exchanged amongst all things in the world all the time. Maybe it'll float over to the lamp next to your deathbed.

Some people use the "Light Bulb" analogy (light is on--you're alive, light is off--you're dead).

That isn't too far off from my POV, but, instead of one light bulb, there are several:

A- Those that burn-out first represent those tissues/organs that are most dependent on oxygen (brain, myocardium)--think 100-W bulbs.

B- Those that burn-out last represent those tissues that aren't so dependent on oxygen (smooth muscle cells of the gut), think 15-W bulbs.

The process of dying is not exactly instantaneous (unless cause of death is something like evaporation by nuclear fission/fusion). The brain & the heart go first, then other tissues. Sometimes a person's small intestine keep performing peristalsis for HOURS after "death."

The lightbulb / light-switch analogy isn't a bad one, it just covers the 2-6 hours between brain/heart death and the death of the last cell in a person's body.

Without brain function, I doubt consciousness is maintained. Not a super happy thought, but there is strength in knowing the truth.

O M

I agree with Ol' Morfy. Consciousness is impossible without a brain. It's a very simple fact. When the brain dies, there is no consciousness, therefore no awareness of the self, and therefore no actual life besides leftover energy fueling the last few organs before Papa Death completes his stroke. So consciousness is limited to life within a body. Body dies, and it's all over. Get used to that idea, and do us all a favor and get cremated so there won't be another useless carcass beneath some tombstone taking up space where there could be low-cost housing or a cheap mom-and-pop food market.

Speaking of death, check out this 1-2 minute audio blog.

I have a hard time believing that consciousness equals having a brain because the body came long after our original creation in the image and likeness of the Universal Creator [Christ consciousness or universal consciousness]. So its not hard to think that the same holds true after the body is no more.

I have never been able to understand how others believe that once you are dead that's it. It might seem logical in the scientific sense but to think that science can possibly begin to explain inherent knowledge of the soul I just cant not understand that.

Not knocking anybody just typing...

Peace,
Seedless

QFT ^!

Seirously sorry that i can't believe in your "truths" im not asking you to believe in mine... however

What you guys believe makes me sad :(

I have a hard time believing that consciousness equals having a brain because the body came long after our original creation in the image and likeness of the Universal Creator [Christ consciousness or universal consciousness]. So its not hard to think that the same holds true after the body is no more.

I have never been able to understand how others believe that once you are dead that's it. It might seem logical in the scientific sense but to think that science can possibly begin to explain inherent knowledge of the soul I just cant not understand that.

Not knocking anybody just typing...

Peace,
Seedless

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean in your first paragraph. Are you just assuming that we were created in the image and likeness of something? And wouldn't this be anthropomorphizing "god"? Because this is unreasonable, not just by science but by logic. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

As for the second paragraph, I personally don't "believe" anything in regards to spirituality or religion, because I don't have faith. Faith is illogical by definition, as it doesn't rely on logic in any way. Therefore, I have no beliefs, I only have knowledge, suspicions, and doubts. From the information that we are given, there is every reason to believe that no being could experience anything beyond the point when the brain dies. All of science points to this fact, and there is no knowledge that we have gained for one to assume otherwise.

You say that science cannot begin to explain the soul, but I'm not sure what you mean by the "soul." And I'm not sure why you think that there is such a thing as a soul. If you mean our consciousness, then look into quantum physics. Because many things that were once considered "spiritual" or involving the "soul" are now being considered physics. Once something is explained scientifically, it is no longer necessary to explain it with faith-based, meaningless rhetoric. And once something is explained scientifically that is in opposition to what faithful people assume, then they'll either change their mind or deny it with, again, faith-based rhetoric.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, you SHOULD believe what you want. But I'm trying to get you, bagochina, to understand why certain people deny the possibility of any afterlife. Oohcow, nobody is trying to make you sad, and I'm sorry if I've offended you with this post. Hell, I wouldn't mind an afterlife, but I see the need to be academically correct with knowledge, and reasonable with my assumptions. Anyway, I'm interested in further explanation of your beliefs if you'd like to explain.

Last edited:
The soul and spirit are simply metaphysical concepts to explain being and consciousness. It's a complete lapse in reason to believe in any being or consciousness able to exist beyond the physical world. Bagochina, you seem to be saying that science is wrong having disproved this possibility and suggest an illogical and vague mystical concept, probably out of wishful thinking. The universe is not benevolant or necessarily adherent to your likings.

Like other hot issues (abortion, polly-ticks, etc...) it would be very rare to actually change a persons point of view--espeically in any major way.

But forcing one's opinion on another is just down-right wrong. In the areas where right & wrong are difficult to define, one can only state their beliefs as best as possible, and try to understand other's POV.

I do NOT blame, or feel superior to those who have a "mystical" or supernatural belief system that support extra-corporeal consicousness/ a soul/ spirit, I sometimes wish I could believe in that too.

It would make the time remaining here alive a little more bearable.

O M

The soul and spirit are simply metaphysical concepts to explain being and consciousness. It's a complete lapse in reason to believe in any being or consciousness able to exist beyond the physical world. Bagochina, you seem to be saying that science is wrong having disproved this possibility and suggest an illogical and vague mystical concept, probably out of wishful thinking. The universe is not benevolant or necessarily adherent to your likings.

When did that happen? I would love to read about the scientific disproof of the soul.

And how can science ever possibly prove or disprove that anything does or does not exist beyond the physical world. That would be utterly, well unscientific.

Last edited:
i believe we reincarnate.

to quote my blog:

"It can't all end after this, it just can't. Why would God only give you one single stay on this beautiful planet to decide your fate for an eternity? Why would God have created such an imperfect system?

If one has experienced enough synchronicity in one's life, one can logically deduce past life karma. The fact that the synchronicity community seems to believe in reincarnation pretty much speaks for itself.

I believe the human soul is specifically designed for the human nervous system, and so you will only ever reincarnate as human. I will not be able to tell you how until I explain a few things about the human nervous system. "