• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Mental Health Resources/Treatment Options/Helplines Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm cynical, but the'll more likely arrest you and detain you for a inderminate period.

Y'all may want to keep in mind that '1-800-suicide' will send the police to your house if they believe you are actually suicidal.

This is true. I had a friend that was going through a rough time.He called a suicide hotline although Im not sure which one they DID call the police. Mandatory 72 hour hold. He may or may not have been serious about killing himself. It is good that people have a resource to call though.

question:
I hope this doesn't violate forum policy, but can anyone recommend a different forum that deals directly with bipolar illness, or even depression specifically? This one is great and all, but definitely too drug-focused for my needs. Thanks guys.

That is definitely not against the rules leiphos!! We are here to help in any way we can, and if that means pointing you in the direction of a less drug-oriented site then so be it.
I personally am not a member of Psychforums but it looks like a good community. In my experience it's a difficult site to navigate so here's the Depression forum and Bipolar forum.
Good luck <3

GTA/toronto
Sexual assault care centre at womens college hospital.
416-323-6040 24/7 medical and psychological support for victims of sexual assault.

hastle free clinic- pregnancy testing, STI testing, needle exchange
mens line- 416-922-0603
womens line- 416-922-0566

The works- mobile needle exchange (they come to you) until 11:00pm
416-392-0521

Drug info and general support from peers (other substance abusers or former ones)
TRIP
416-703-8482 ext 125 @ 168 bathurst st health centre.

SOS Femmes- French crisis line for women (We are a bilingual country)
1-800-387-8603

Toronto police victim services- staffed by non police officers and confidential, simply funded by Toronto police. Provide counsellings on everything from suicide to being robbed/trauma of that nature
40 College Street
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2J3
416-808-7066

Toronto Military Family resource center- its actually open to civilians as well and provides a massive range of support services for anyone. Particularly good at crisis counsellings due to death or traumatic events. Well funded as the DND has 42% of the federal budget.

Mailing address: 5 Yukon Lane, Toronto, ON M3K 0A1
Phone: 416-633-6200 ext. 4311
Fax: 416-635-4414
E-mail: [email protected]
(CFB downsview TTC downsview station and hike north to DRDC (It has an f-104 starfighter on display, you cant miss it), turn left, walk past DRDC and the armoury and parking lots and you'll find it)

Toronto EMS- obviously a good choice if you are in severe psychological distress.
911, ask for medical/ambulance.

Toronto Fire...if you happen to be in distress and live near a station, they are trained in emergency medicine and psychological crisis help as well. Just talk to one.

myself- PM me, I can chat with you on MSN, the telephone or even come see you, I happen to be trained as paramedic and I'm 100% confidential and won't even write any notes. I can also bring you clean rigs and provide some medical care like dressing wounds, draining abcess's and other minor procedures, pro bono, no judgment and dead confidential.

311 24/7 City of Toronto info line...any and all info, you can call them to get a number or location of a crisis center appropriate to your needs.

RCMP 'o' division GTA detachment- The place to call if you are the victim of human trafficking/forced to be a sex worker and want help.
(905) 953-7267

Last edited:
There is a very valuable resource here in Buffalo, New York that I want to share, which pretty much is the reason I'm still alive and posting now:

www.crisisservices.org is the website, and they have a 24-hr hotline: 716-834-3131. They have outreach counselors that will come to your house and help you out, and then they even search out therapists and such for you, so that in time of distress you don't need to do it yourself. You can also call, just to chat if you need to, and unless you tell them you are actively trying to kill yourself, they won't call the authorities. You can even say you feel suicidal and they will just talk to you. They deal with sexual assault/rape issues as well as general mental health.

I know this resource is pretty local, but it REALLY helped me out and I wish I had known about it earlier than I did (my roommate is doing a masters in social work and she was familiar with it) and I wanted to post it, just incase any of the BLers in the Buffalo area ever come here looking for assistance.

I have been doing a project recently on long term sickness/mental health and have come across a few useful links for mental health issues in the UK..

Samaritans
08457 909090 (UK)
1850 609090 (Ireland)

24 hour a day listening service - can contact them via phone, email or face to face. They are completely confidential and won't contact any other services after speaking to you (even if you are suicidal - they don't want people to be put off calling them so the promise to be 100% confidential) and they will talk to you for as long as you need, whatever your problem. My friend used to volunteer on the phonelines and I think they are amazing.

Royal college of psychiatrists
Lots of info about mental health disorders and treatment, plus what to expect if you are seeing a psychiatrist in the UK.

Mind
Mental health charity with lots of info and help, and local groups.

Mental Health Foundation
Info on mental health research.

Mental Health in the UK

Mental health resources including books, publications and artwork by site visitors.

NHS addiction support
NHS search engine to find local drug support / addiction services in your area.

Don't think these have been posted before, but if they have mods please remove them :)

<3

You are very welcome :D

Last one:

Moodgym

Online CBT resource. A little simplified and irritating at times, but overall excellent and gets the seal of approval from psychiatrists. Definitely worthwhile trying if you think CBT might help but don't have access to one-one-one sessions :)

ooooh cool - that is a damn good link.

we could of used that here a loooong time ago.
peeked at it, but didnt try yet, that just looks like fun no matter what..!

another GTA number that is helpful for a different type of distress

Toronto Duty Council and legal aid 1-800-668-8258

I got a PM with this info :
I'm unsure if the person wishes to stay anon but says this place is a treatment center and needle exchange:

Drugs and Homeless Iniative ( DHI )
Bath
01225 329411
The Beehive
Beehive yard
Bath
Ba1 5bd
e mail
[email protected]

I got a PM with this info :
I'm unsure if the person wishes to stay anon but says this place is a treatment center and needle exchange:

Drugs and Homeless Iniative ( DHI )
Bath
01225 329411
The Beehive
Beehive yard
Bath
Ba1 5bd
e mail
[email protected]

Needle exchanges are also run at all the large Chemists in Bath like Boots

It was me n if anyone wants further info about services in Bath and Northeast Somerset feel free to PM me<3

I should be abler to get some more resources and will post them as n when.

I've had experience with the NHS in the UK. They will help u, if u need it, but be prepared to be put on a waiting list unless u turn up in A&E (like ER) with major withdrawals.

This is not true at all .
if you were to present yourself at A & E with withdrawl symptons no matter how serious unless they are actually life threatning , which to be fair is not often the case unles it is Alcohol . You will be assesed and if you are deemed to be a danger to yourself and others you will be sectioned under the mental Health act.

If u require treatment for addiction the first place to go would be your GP who will then refer you to the local Drug Treatment agency or maybe even prescribe himself.

You may be put on a waiting list as things can't be expected to happen immediatley , remember the NHS is free unlike in many other countries.

I feel more comfortable in a chat room rather than calling a crisis line. The chat room and forums at Depression Haven have been helpful to me. There's also a mobile interface to the chatroom, which I've used on my phone before. It's not staffed with trained people, so it's not a crisis hotline, more of a peer support atmosphere. Also, you have been warned in advance that there is a teddy bear/butterfly theme. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.