Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 22.12.09 - Stimulus spent on drugs leads to attack

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Stimulus spent on drugs leads to attack

# December 22, 2009 4:10PM

AN delaide man who spent his Federal Government stimulus payment on amphetamines has been jailed for stabbing his drug-using housemate up to 17 times.

The South Australian Supreme Court has heard the attack, four days before Christmas last year, appeared to have been sparked by a lack of sugar in the house.

Imposing sentence on Steven Charles Cairns today, Justice Ann Vanstone said in the days leading up to the incident both Cairns and his victim, Mark Woods, had spent most of the $1400 they received from the Federal Government on amphetamines and other drugs.

The pair then went on a drug binge, staying up all night and generally being "out of it", the judge said.

The night before the attack Mr Woods lost his temper because of a lack of sugar in the house, which Cairns was supposed to buy.

"In his anger he (Mr Woods) demolished a coffee table and a DVD player, as well as attacking you," Justice Vanstone told Cairns.

The 36-year-old fled the house but when he returned the next day, Mr Woods attacked him again, this time armed with a large kitchen fork and a knife.

Cairns armed himself with a knife and inflicted between 14 and 17 stab wounds on his housemate, at least one of which was serious and resulted in substantial blood loss.

A jury later acquitted Cairns of attempted murder but found him guilty of causing harm with intent to cause harm.

Justice Vanstone said the verdict was consistent with the jury accepting that the accused had genuinely believed that the action he took was reasonable and necessary.

However, she said given that Cairns was the superior fighter he went too far.

"Indeed I am satisfied that at some point in the course of events what had started out as self-defence became retaliation against Woods, for what I can accept was excessively provocative behaviour," Justice Vanstone said.

The judge jailed Cairns for three years and nine months and set a non-parole period of one year and four months.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...-leads-to-attack/story-e6frfku0-1225812849590

Haha, bit over the top really.

Just another way for them to make drug users look bad.

In adelaide, most likely that or this is what has been made up to cover it being about drugs.

He should have stuck to the 'mild CNS stimulant' Methylphenidate.

Was it street or script speed?

What a fukn tool LOL

He must of loved his sugar indeed hahahaha prob wanted to rack it up or sumfn :)

lol ridiculous, they must have been tweaking all week, and yeah i agree, sugar = gear

Dudes.

You guys are forgetting about the diabetics.

I've got a diabetic friend who's a gearhead and it's oh so easy to forget to top up and just lose it.

Guy was gone for the day, surely one of them could have gone and got some sugar. That guy should have swung via hungry jacks and picked up some little packets for nothing.

^^^^ I would say there is a fairly high likelihood of that factoring in!

Given that he lived with the guy.. he had plenty of opportunity to fantasise about it..

creeeeeepy