• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol Risks? Are there really any major ones?

Platinumb

Greenlighter
I love Tramadol.

I've done my research, and haven't seen much risks. I'm always skeptical about these things so I wanted to make sure with you guys :). I know seizure is one of the main risks. But long term so far I haven't found much. If anyone can help me out here that'd be great ! !

seizure and addiction are both pretty major. plus tramadol just isnt right. it feels good, but it feels wrong. my body has told me it only wants tramadol once in a bluemoon, if ever. i bet it's bad for your brain if used excessively, relative to the natural and semi opiates. serotonin is not to be habitually fucked with. i know i am not bringing any real science into the picture, but that's because i dont even care what pubmed articles have to say; i've got the gut feeling.

not saying you shouldn't take it. and how is this bdd? the long term effects of pharmaceuticals is basic knowledge?

No doubt gut feeling shouldn't be trusted...

I have my reasons for taking it, and probably better reasons for more than most people.. I had been taking it everyday for about 1-2 months (200mg a day) as prescribed to me. I haven't had it for a month and a half, and although I do want some but I'm not craving it and constantly thinking about it...I guess you could say it's like a Popsicle lol.

tramadol is stupidly easy for me to get, which is a real shame, because I will not touch the stuff.

the seizure risk is the big thing for me, i have taken 100mg and found my self suddenly jerking an arm or something, really worried me, when it happened i downed 10mg of Diazepam and that stopped it, but I will never touch it again.

I read online where someone had a seizure from 50mg daily dosage.

combined with opiates, increased risk of seizure,
combined with alcohol, increased risk of seizure.

to me, it is a nasty substance.
imho

Right. Along with everyone else-tramadol is risky in terms of seizure. Just make sure you don't take too much. Also, don't combine it with anything. On its own in reasonable doses it won't pose much danger. Also, obviously addiction is a risk you may not (or may...) want to take. Just don't use it every day.

Anytime you ask about tramadol your going to get a lot of mixed feelings. Some people adore it, others hate it, it seems to be a very controversial substance.
Well at least a substance that people seem to feel strongly about. People seem to be giving there subjective opinions, so I'll save you hearing mine :)
Besides the seizure risk mentioned (which seems to also vary greatly from person to person), there would be the normal side-effect profile of any SNRI.
Which I'm sure you could get more information on by researching SNRI's.

I was thinking about mixing it with Valium...

I have never had a problem with 200mg tramadol before. No jerking or anything...I just simply feel good lol..I feel more motivated, confident, basically everything positive. I don't think if I mix it valium anything will happen in terms of danger. I've taken Valium separately and nothing much has happened either

I'm not seeing a problem with that Platinum, if anything the valium helps reduce seizure risk. And considering the dosages I doubt cns depression would be high enough to warrant any concerns.

say what? how? especially about the alcohol.

well, I not going to put sources here, so take it or leave it.

But, ok, from my understanding initially alcohol would raise the seizure threshold, perhaps decreasing the risk of seizure, but this could be mitigated by the amount of alcohol drunk and also the drinker, someone for instance who is an alcoholic could possible have a decreased seizure threshold due to the effects of excessive alcohol usage.
large amounts of alcohol on there own, can cause seizures so it would be logical to assume that there is a possible risk of seizure with the mixing of Alcohol and Tramadol, In certain specific situations.

like most things it is not black and white, ie drink booze and take tramadol = increased risk of seizure.

'possible' but is not a given,

same with opiates, in certain situations mixing other opiates with tramadol could potentially increase the risk of seizure depending on the opiates used and how they are used.

again, it is 'possible' imho anyway.

but it is just more reasons I stay well clear of Tramadol(and it practically grows on trees here lol)

I read somewhere that because alcohol affects gaba receptors similar to benzos that small amounts of alcohol with tram will reduce the likelihood of seizing, however I am not a pharmacist so do not take this as advice, I take tram everyday and am paranoid to even smoke weed with it sometimes and if I do drink beer it's no more than 3

isnt it a anti depressant? i took it and since i wasnt depressed, i got depressed? but idk im not sure if it is or not

That's probably why...I've heard it being used as an anti depressant even though it's mainly a pain killer. My doctor prescribed Zoloft for my pain ... Zoloft is an anti depressant but can also kill some pain..

I guess there's a similarity between Anti Depressants & Pain killers