• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

Why? Because it is TRADITION!!!

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
So, being that some of us celebrate Christmas in the snow, and some have Santa visit us in the summertime (damn Aussies ;) ). What things do you and your family typically do or experience every year for traditions? Either family only, or common practices for your city, area, whatever....what is tradition for YOU, for any event this holiday season?

I work less, watch football more. Bowl games are my holiday...

(well, part of it ;) )

Ever since I got married it seems that the predominant tradition for all holidays is to watch football. My favorite part isn't necessarily a tradition per se, but I really like taking a walk or a drive to see all the lit up houses. It's just so beautiful, and such a generous act that people spend the money for the decorations and electricity just to help share the holiday spirit with others. :)

Gin Fizz's and Eggs Benedict are my family's traditions

God how I love me Gin Fizz's and Eggs Benedict

When my parents are in town we always drive around and look at the christmas lights, and after eating Christmas meal we watch the Peanuts Christmas show.

eat candy with friends and go here: Trail of Lights
nsfw size
NSFW:
Austin-Trail-of-Lights-701352.JPG

NSFW:
14santasaurus_750x561.jpg

NSFW:
DSCN6791-744384.JPG

NSFW:
3124051750_acfb46254b.jpg

NSFW:
Zilker%20Christmas%20tree%202.JPG

NSFW:
clayholsey-cz.1169752440.01-18-07_062.jpg

NSFW:
yulelog_750x561.jpg

this year the city didnt have enough $$$ to fund it :(

Are there christians in Australia?

I'm going to have to rethink some shit.

^ Indeed there are, even our prime minister is a christian.

Dr. Funkenstien - Trail of Lights looks epic!

My family always has a roast dinner, even though it's the middle of summer. We're not religious so there's no church-going, just a whole lot of eating, drinking and being merry :)

I do a special Christmas lunch, have gift opening together with the family - it's a lovely special day in our house and we love doing the traditional thing <3

My special Christmas day ritual starts off early in the kitchen, cooking with a bottle of champagne to sip and listening to old classic xmas tunes (like Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby, Bing Crosby's White Christmas etc :|...I know, I know sad eh 8) haha). I really enjoy cooking a special gourmet meal for everyone.

By the time everyone else gets up out of bed (my sons are 20 and 22 so lie in thse days - no more getting up at 5am for them to see what Santa's left :!) and arrives at ours I'm positively merry and right in the celebration mood =D

Post meal I often talk the gang into doing charades and other party games %) I'm the ultimate in embarrassing mothers :eek:;)

kate.. lol your the only person i can find on the site that on the bad list.. what the fuck have you done? - santa will only bring you a lump of coal this year :(

my family usually goes to my aunt's on Christmas eve for a small gift exchange, followed by going to this train garden that a local volunteer fire dept. puts on, its really awesome and funded by donations, so we usually try to donate at least a few bucks to the fire house. it's one of my family's only real "traditions". I love it.

wow Dr Funk, I wanna go there.

My christmas day wil be like any other day.

No tree, no presents. Barely any family around this year, all in different states and countries.

Myabe a turkey and some beer though.

Xmas eve, my husband and I go to his parents house 45 min away, I get tipsy, the "kids" share smoke, eat great food, laugh, and we watch (zone out to) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Xmas day, we head back to my in laws around 1p to open presents, drink mimosas, share smoke, eat brunch, laugh and zone out watching football.

This is my sixth season with them and I love it!

I love white lights too. LOTS OF THEM.

we always go to my grandma's house new years eve the whole family is there its alot of fun

I was thinking about this a few days ago. As a kid, I have vivid memories of Christmas traditions, all of which have waned as I've got older. I remember feeling really excited as my Mum would bring home a copy of the Radio Times - something she never bought at any other time of the year. It felt like a real treat in my hands, a bumper edition no less that covered the entire two week holiday. I remember lying on the floor, flicking through the pages, circling the network premiers of the films that I'd record with the VCR (which I'd watch repeatedly through the coming year). Whatever happened to that tradition? TVs with built-in electronic episode guides is what happened. Commercial television no longer being able to afford premiers is what happened.

**wanders off to download films from the interwebz**

Not this year, but every year that my brother and I lived at home my mom would do 12 days of Christmas. We would get 12 little presents, candy and stuff up to Christmas.
The first few were predictable, the same candy, a roll of quarters to wash your car, socks lol the same stuff but they got better as you got closer to Christmas.
My mom used to make sour cream sugar cookies but they are SO much work. And I found after I personally put that much work into it...no thanks but they rule in general
We also started having Christmas at like 2AM on Christmas morning because no one was in bed yet and no one wanted to get up early. Works for me :)