Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS -8.12.2009: AFP Seize 20kg of the drug mephedrone

MrIbis

Bluelighter
Federal police have seized over 20kg of the new party drug mephedrone in the past 15 months — but Australians are still posting "want ads" online for foreign suppliers to ship the chemical here.

Ninemsn can reveal that the AFP and Australian Customs authorities have intercepted 25 shipments of the illegal drug into the country since September last year.

But the AFP refuse to confirm if they have arrested or charged anyone over the shipments.

Mephedrone — also known as 4-MMC, Plant Food or Bubbles — is said to be a cross between cocaine and ecstasy.

It comes in pill or powder form and is typically packaged inside a small plastic bag with a sticker that reads: "Not for human consumption ... for technical use only".

An AFP spokesperson said authorities were monitoring a Hong Kong-based buy-and-sell website where Australians have left ads looking for mephedrone dealers.

Ninemsn found some 17 advertisements on the website, including one notice from a Victorian user looking for a weekly supply of the drug.

"Need bulk amounts of mephedrone to be shipped to Victoria, Australia ... require a sample pack (say 5g) first to ensure quality," the advertisement says.

"Looking for someone who can supply weekly ... would prefer product to already be in the country at time of shipping."

Another person from Sydney says they want 1kg of the drug, while a Tasmanian user says they are looking for a "reliable mephedrone supplier ... wanted urgently"

An ad published by someone in Adelaide says they are "looking to buy 10g of mephedrone".

In June last year, Queensland police seized a batch of pills being sold as ecstasy which contained a mix of mephedrone and a similar drug called ethylcathinone.

A Bing search of "mephedrone" reveals scores of websites selling the drug, many of which are based in the UK where it is legal to purchase but not to consume. In Australia, it is illegal to buy or consume the drug.

Some sites describe mephedrone as a plant fertiliser or even a plant growth suppressant.

Ninemsn found one website selling 25g of the drug for $358, or 1kg for $8460 — the same price as roughly 211 ecstasy tablets or 28 bags of cocaine.

But the website says shipments outside the UK have stopped because of police seizures.

One Sydney man who moved to the UK several years ago told ninemsn said it was easy to buy mephedrone off the street in London.

"I have only tried it once but it did wake me up and feel like I was flying off my head on ecstasy," the man said, on condition on anonymity.

"I think the whole 'plant food' thing gives it a little stigma ... although horse tranquilizer didn't do [party drug] ketamine any harm!"

Mephedrone has already been attributed to one death in the UK: 14-year-old Gabrielle Price had a heart attack on November 22 at a house party after reportedly taking the drug as well as ketamine.

article can be found here:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/981250/afp-seize-20kg-of-party-drug-mephedrone

"I think the whole 'plant food' thing gives it a little stigma ... although horse tranquilizer didn't do [party drug] ketamine any harm!"

Lol, it's not at all good for plants.

Very interesting that they haven't charged any one over the imports.

This article will create a fair deal of awereness of this product into the community....

Hmmm, lets see what happens!

Ninemsn found one website selling 25g of the drug for $358, or 1kg for $8460 — the same price as roughly 211 ecstasy tablets or 28 bags of cocaine

I no discussion of prices isn't allowed, but how the hell did they end up with that calculation? Also when did Mephedrone become Illegal in Australia? I remember a few mate's of mine buying it off the net not long ago and they received it with no problem's at all....

In NewZealand it comes under our strict analogue clause. Making it class C, I assume maybe thats the same case as Australia?

I'd say it's more or less at the discretion of police/customs. I don't have the chemical knowledge to state whether it falls within the technical bounds of our analogue laws, but it definately falls within the spirit of them (ie: anything that is similar to a current illegal drug is also illegal).

And who's going to argue? If they seize your drugs just be glad that's all they did. Would anyone really care to be the first one to put those analogue laws to the test? Even if you won the case, the legal headfuck would be a massive waste of time and money.

I'd say it's more or less at the discretion of police/customs. I don't have the chemical knowledge to state whether it falls within the technical bounds of our analogue laws, but it definately falls within the spirit of them (ie: anything that is similar to a current illegal drug is also illegal).

And who's going to argue? If they seize your drugs just be glad that's all they did. Would anyone really care to be the first one to put those analogue laws to the test? Even if you won the case, the legal headfuck would be a massive waste of time and money.

It would be a wonderful step in the right direction for pro-legalization of drugs if any one did have the time and money.

I no discussion of prices isn't allowed, but how the hell did they end up with that calculation? Also when did Mephedrone become Illegal in Australia? I remember a few mate's of mine buying it off the net not long ago and they received it with no problem's at all....

I believe it has been illegal every where except SA for quite a while. And SA has only recently added it to the analogue laws. I could be wrong however.

Small amounts in well packaged things will probably get through safely, however it could be risky as it looks like they are starting to crack down on it.

I'm sure 25kg is only a small percentage of the amount thats been imported.

I don't have the chemical knowledge to state whether it falls within the technical bounds of our analogue laws, but it definately falls within the spirit of them

Pretty simple really. Methcathinone is illegal, and under Australian law, 4-methylmethcathinone is regarded as an analogue or derivative of that.

I believe it has been illegal every where except SA for quite a while. And SA has only recently added it to the analogue laws. I could be wrong however.

I believe you are. It appears the above is also relevant to that state.

It's all a bit odd really; that no-one to date has been prosecuted, and no charge has made it to court, but rest assured, something is happening. Perhaps authorities don't want to move just yet, in light (or not) of what is likely to follow?

I'd say they were hoping to keep it quiet as long as possible to prevent an explosion of people ordering THE BRAND NEW DRUG THAT'S JUST LIKE ECSTASY AND COCAINE. After all they can only intercept so many packages. Now the media has latched onto the story, I'd say the next step is to make some token arrests to scare people off trying to use popular RC vendors

Here's some more information i found regrading the legallity of the sale and use of Mephedrone. Mephedrone could be considered prohibited, due to the broad substance analogue laws, in USA, Australia and New Zealand. While in 2008, after several alleged incidents, which included deaths among teenagers, Sweden framed specific legislation making the sale of mephedrone illegal. No other country prohibits the sale or use of mephedrone.

The US, the UK, New Zealand and Australia are historically close allies. All four have traditionally aimed for generic, wide-reaching and long lasting drug laws that cover all the analogous families of prohibited drugs.

European countries have historically had drug-specific laws on a case by case basis - shown by its recent specific recommendations on BZP.

While the UK has prevaricated over BZP, the failure of its laws to cover mephedrone or methylone may signal that as the UK has moved towards Europe politically, its drug legislation is making a similar shift.

Not surprising to see this being reported as mephedrone is recieving heaps of attention internationally. Mephedrone definately is gaining popularity both by people seeking it out for what it is and also for being passed off as MDMA in caps. Its no surprise people are turning to stuff like this with the current shape of the ecstasy market.

lol... yeah... I was waiting to hear what the stats would be like

seems in order from where I'm sitting

Not surprising to see this being reported as mephedrone is recieving heaps of attention internationally. Mephedrone definately is gaining popularity both by people seeking it out for what it is and also for being passed off as MDMA in caps. Its no surprise people are turning to stuff like this with the current shape of the ecstasy market.

Thats even a trend in NewZealand as a friend almost got ripped off by mephedrone pretending to be MDMA. It even had something in it to make the marquis turn purple (though the purple was light, not dark as with mdma). So they getting clever. Railing a 50mg line was enough to know it was not MDMA.

It's all a bit odd really; that no-one to date has been prosecuted, and no charge has made it to court, but rest assured, something is happening. Perhaps authorities don't want to move just yet, in light (or not) of what is likely to follow?

If they wen't to the effort to send the contents to a lab for analysis(as I assume their drug detecting machine may not pickup that its mephedrone), then why would they not go to the effort to prosecute?

As stated, its covered by analogue laws.

it is illegal.

I'm guessing they are just doing mass intelligence gathering. Just think how many "dealers" both domestic and overseas they now have leads on from 20kg.

I'm sure repeat orders from/to same places will also be highlighted.

yes i think its probably pretty darn easy for the feds to keep a handle on internet traffic to the sites selling mephedrone on the net... they are not holding off because of any doubts of legality... its clearly illegal... they are holding off because they are gathering info before pouncing.