• Guest, Welcome to FESTIVUS

What is the weather like where you are this holiday season?

I know metric almost as well, Mazza. Most Americans my age-ish and younger (or anyone in science/engineering) have been taught both, just only one is used unless you're in a city by either the Canadian or Mexican border. American cars also come with mph and kph (or at least all the newer models I've seen do). Yeah, we're still backwards, I know =D

39F = 4C

Right now it's clear, 31F (-1C for Mazza ;)). This is rare for my area, usually it's in the 50s this time of year. fizzle is a bit inland and north of me, so it's probably cooler where she is... hope you are staying warm Fizzle <3 I'd be dead of hypothermia if not for my space heater!

Oh its OK, I understand F and C having started my life as an F and then being forced to change to a c.

I was laughing because we were also 39 except ours was a C.

So while your shivering, we are sweltering.

Minus 2 degrees someone said up there........................are you sure??

I think your thermometer is broke.............temperature cant go that low can it?

hahaha, Zzxyz tried to tell me that it got to minus 20 or something where he lives and that he went fishing by cutting a hole in ice lakes....hahahaha, he must have thought I came down in the lasst snow storm...........even I know that its not possible to live in tem,peratures under 15C and trhat even if it was then all the water would become diamonds or something like that...meth??

zomg. like totally get a useful and REAL temperature measurement system. Fahrenheit is for LOSERS, in all them LOSER countries!!!

~20°C and balmy

hint, to get the ° sign, all you need to do is hold down the alt key and then type 0176, so ALT+0176 = ° (I know this because I use temperature about infinite times a day and need to use this symbol all the freakin time :))

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Are you saying its hard to unnerstan 20C???

Oh and i tried that alt thing and it didnt do shit for me.

Maybe you have a spucial keyboard?

zomg. like totally get a useful and REAL temperature measurement system. Fahrenheit is for LOSERS, in all them LOSER countries!!!

you see, i thought about checking what the degrees in celsius would be, but why?
my knowledge is of fahrenheit, and that's what i'm going to use.

real temperature measurement system = Kelvins. everything else is for chumps.

here in indiana, its really freaking cold and windy. everything was iced over yesterday, and gusts of wind almost knocked me on my ass a few times, but today is a little better, although the windchill is still somewhere in the negatives. :\

Last edited:
Southwestern Ontario (Canada):
- Temp = -4C
- Feels Like (wind-chill) = -11C
- Blizzard + Occasional rain = slush
- 48km/h winds. Not nice.

"Lake Effect Snow" expected for tomorrow. This means tonnes of snow dumped on us thanks to the air cooling as it passes above the Great Lakes. It's like being in a freezer. Fuck.

i HATE lake effect snow. and i don't even live in the snowbelt area :\

its finally warming up here in seattle, with a high of 39F tomorrow.

Oh its OK, I understand F and C having started my life as an F and then being forced to change to a c.

I was laughing because we were also 39 except ours was a C.

So while your shivering, we are sweltering.

Minus 2 degrees someone said up there........................are you sure??

I think your thermometer is broke.............temperature cant go that low can it?

hahaha, Zzxyz tried to tell me that it got to minus 20 or something where he lives and that he went fishing by cutting a hole in ice lakes....hahahaha, he must have thought I came down in the lasst snow storm...........even I know that its not possible to live in tem,peratures under 15C and trhat even if it was then all the water would become diamonds or something like that...meth??

Totally posssible...

jamshyd said:
Feels Like (wind-chill) = -11C

I always (actually, just sometimes) wondered what is up with the wind-chill factor. I am surprised that different materials exchanging heat with air would change rates of heat exchange depending on airflow by the same additive quantity. Maybe bare-skin and dry air is assumed?

Same situation as Mariposa, only she has the space heater. ;)

ebola

TATH' said:
real temperature measurement system = Kelvins. everything else is for chumps.

Right, as absolute zero is so much more intuitive than the temperature at which water freezes. ;)
Actually, I guess that it would be useful to be able to say something like, "It's twice as cold!" and have it mean something.

ebola

I always (actually, just sometimes) wondered what is up with the wind-chill factor. I am surprised that different materials exchanging heat with air would change rates of heat exchange depending on airflow by the same additive quantity. Maybe bare-skin and dry air is assumed?

Same situation as Mariposa, only she has the space heater. ;)

ebola

you are correct, it has to do with how cold the air feels on the skin. i do believe its useful for figuring out how long you can be outside before getting frostbite. its also much more dramatic to complain about how cold it is with the wind chill :)

I indeed declare, then: all must weather the outdoors sans clothing to preserve the integrity of temperatures presented with wind-chill assessments.

ebola

It's a glorious day here! Sun is shining, not too hot but warm enough to notice it's summer!

27.2C / 80.9F

Yesterday however was a different story. Perhaps the hottest day I've EVER experienced, lol.. 47.5C / 117.5F no wind, hot, dry, evil.. If you managed to peel yourself off the couch and go outside your skin would fry like little human bacon LOL

Ah, Australia, gotta love it :D

<3Mav

Low 20s Fahrenheit, wind gusts 15-20mph. Snow and ice abound.

Yesterday however was a different story. Perhaps the hottest day I've EVER experienced, lol.. 47.5C / 117.5F no wind, hot, dry, evil.

WHAT?!! That is fucking crazy! We had a day like that down here in Sydney a couple of weeks ago, it was about 45°C. Ya don't forget that kind of heat in a hurry :\

Today is much the same as the Gold Coast, 25°C (about 75°F), sunny, no wind. Quite pleasant really :)

Christmas is always hot as buggery in Australia, I simply cannot even imagine a cold Christmas!

I know! I didn't believe it so I made my housemate go out and buy another thermom-thingy so we could verify and yep it got to 47.5C!!! Hahaha I don't think I've ever complained about anything so violently before :p

Yeah today is a nice day, sounds good down your way too! I'd love a white Christmas but the grass is always greener eh? Haha.

We're doing the bbq (where you don't need a bbq, just slap some meat on the hood of your car for 2-4minutes LOL) at the beach, then a house party so should be fun :-D

^^ Sounds similar to our Christmas! There's always a BBQ involved, a swim after lunch, then lazing around in the heat with a full belly %)

Oh, and in Australia, Christmas time is synonomous with bushfire season. My dad is with the rural voluntary bushfire brigade and he frequently gets called out to bushfires during Christmas lunch :|

25°C (about 75°F), sunny, no wind.

I actually just checked the Bureau of Meterology and it's now 30°C. Warming up! Sheesh! I actually felt the temperature rise significantly about an hour ago. (it's 2:15pm now)