• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a break for at least a month, reason is I just want a break-clear mind.....need to get shit together to be independent and have a good job/trade. been about 3 days with no ganja I think?....been having the craziest dreams lol. then if I do blaze again after a month break I know It will be soooo much more crazier high off of one hit. I'll see what happens I guess.

My reason to quit is employment too, hoping to get a job in the oil fields in alberta.I've worked out there before and the money rolls in pretty fast.

How is everyone doing staying sober? I ran out of weed today so im quitting, not for that reason but it was just good timing.

well for me, long story. i quit for 3 months and smoked one day and quit for a few weeks and smoked for a day. Its been about 3 weeks now but i actually think i can just smoke once every few weeks.. I don't notice any negative effects like i did when i was smoking everyday. The good part about smoking every few weeks or once a month is that you can take it or leave it.. no big deal anymore..

when i smoke i get some anxiety and in some cases i get light headed and dizzy.. so i am not to crazy about doing it.

My reason to quit is employment too, hoping to get a job in the oil fields in alberta.I've worked out there before and the money rolls in pretty fast.

Oh I know what you mean....ha. I worked on the North Slope for about a month before I got laid off as a Roustabout....I mean I'm sure I could get back if I really tried but damn was that money good! haha

So far im still on the quitting train, been up 24hrs due to insomnia and lost my shit on my mother over the phone.Should have a good sleep tonight with a good dose of melatonin and im feelin chill after doing some codeine (i dont use it everyday, only in moderation so no speeches please :) ) which besides calming my ass down keeps my feet from getting cold and sweaty.I've also been sweating like crazy i need to wash the sheets on my bed.

Hi everyone I have smoked weed for about 5 years I had one break durring those 5 years but only for 5 days I have a big test in about 6 weeks that decides whether Iam good for the pharmacy school so I quit smoking weed Iam sober for almost 4 days now and I dont feel any unbearable desire to smoke most of the time I dont even think about it only when I go to bed I can sleep but its an udproductive shallow sleep and I wake up too early everyday valerian doesnt do nothing I took codein 150mgs yesterday and I felt good but could not sleep so I would like to ask how can I get rid of the insomnia :(
PS. sorry for my english 8)

Hi everyone I have smoked weed for about 5 years I had one break durring those 5 years but only for 5 days I have a big test in about 6 weeks that decides whether Iam good for the pharmacy school so I quit smoking weed Iam sober for almost 4 days now and I dont feel any unbearable desire to smoke most of the time I dont even think about it only when I go to bed I can sleep but its an udproductive shallow sleep and I wake up too early everyday valerian doesnt do nothing I took codein 150mgs yesterday and I felt good but could not sleep so I would like to ask how can I get rid of the insomnia :(

i took some nyquil, but melatonin could also work.. that goes away after a week.. when you quit you will notice weird dreams..

Insomnia doesn't last for more than a week for me. I actually tend to fall asleep a bit better. Nonetheless all my dreams will be accompanied by profuse sweating, which cannot really be relieved in my experience by anything other than cannabinoids and to a lower degree antihistamines like hydroxizine, promethazine, diphenhydramine, dimenhydrinate or doxylamine. These will also take care of the insomnia, even at relatively low dosages. You will develope a tolerance after some time, but addiction to any of these is a very rare phenomenom. The first two in the list are the most centrally active, they will not be OTC in many countries, the others should be freely available almost anywhere in the world. Ask for either one and your pharmacy will most definitely have it in stock.
Be warned though, there might be some daytime tiredness, depending on how you react to them.

Insomnia doesn't last for more than a week for me. I actually tend to fall asleep a bit better. Nonetheless all my dreams will be accompanied by profuse sweating, which cannot really be relieved in my experience by anything other than cannabinoids and to a lower degree antihistamines like hydroxizine, promethazine, diphenhydramine, dimenhydrinate or doxylamine. These will also take care of the insomnia, even at relatively low dosages. You will develope a tolerance after some time, but addiction to any of these is a very rare phenomenom. The first two in the list are the most centrally active, they will not be OTC in many countries, the others should be freely available almost anywhere in the world. Ask for either one and your pharmacy will most definitely have it in stock.
Be warned though, there might be some daytime tiredness, depending on how you react to them.

Iam an allergic person so I have some antihistamines but only those which dont make me drowsy mostly I use zodac (cetirizini dihydrochloridum) thnx for the tip :) I forgot to mention the horrible nightmare I had for the first time yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night then fell asleep and I dreamed that I was talking to my friend about this horrible nightmare :D it was bizzare BTW studying is a lot easier compared to when I was stoned all day :D I was actually studying all this time mostly 2-3 hours after smoking I really enjoyed smoking in the morning and that just hazed my mind for the whole day I couldnt force myself to smoke only in the evening so that is the other reason why I stopped smoking

i took some nyquil, but melatonin could also work.. that goes away after a week.. when you quit you will notice weird dreams..

where can you buy melatonin?

quitting smoking for awhile, but my gf won't

I've been a regular cannabis user now for almost a year, usually every day with the exception of a few days when either money was tight or the supply was dry, and my girlfriend would always smoke with me. This turned into a mutual thing where we would always toke together and take turns getting it. The problem is...recently I've been feeling a real drag from lighting up all the time. I got really demotivated, never wanted to do anything, and even failed my last semester of college because I was too stoned all the time to care about doing my school work. My girlfriend and I haven't smoked going on four days now and I feel amazing despite the few odd bouts of extreme boredom and occasional craving for some herb, but she's wanting to toke up again today saying that her body is physically aching without it.
Now I'm not planning on quitting forever, but I've been wanting to take a full month break to reset and after that only toke up once or twice a week, and I really really don't want to be tempted into smoking again and breaking my promise to myself. The main problem is that we live together, so if she smokes, I'll have to smell it, see her high, and I'll be really really tempted. Other problems I've noticed are that before we started smoking every day, we would actually be intimate multiple times a day, now I'm lucky to get it once or twice a week, and even then she always hurries it up and it's not a problem we ever had before. Also, she never wants to go do anything but sit on the couch watching TV all day long, except for the odd day or two that she goes out with her friends (which she rarely ever wants to go with me to do anything anymore...something that never happened before smoking every day).
I feel like the daily smoking turned our relationship into a huge drag and I was getting extremely bored and not even having a social life, but now that I've been sober for a few days, I'm already noticing a lot of positive benefits. I've tried telling her that weed was the problem for the huge reduction in intimacy and demotivation to do anything but sit on the couch all day, but she won't acknowledge it. I too was oblivious to this and just wrote it off acting like nothing was wrong, probably from my apathy from smoking too often, but I feel like it's just been killing our relationship and I'm really bored with it. It takes me begging her to go out and do anything anymore, even to go to the park (with her excuse being: "we went to the park last week") as if we go every single day.
I'm not in an optimal position to dump her either, since my own apartment lease ends the middle of May, and I have to have all of my things in her apartment until the new semester starts in August, or I have to take all my things back to my parents' house which would require me quitting the job I worked so hard to get here (I'm five hours away from my parents house). So I don't know how to really ask her not to smoke anymore for this month, not only so I can keep clean for awhile, but also so she can realize what our relationship has been missing out on because of the daily smoking. I'll take all suggestions into consideration.

Cliffs for you tl;dr people

Gf and I have been daily smokers for a year
I want to take a month break from it (started a few days ago)
She doesn't want to quit for that long
We live together pretty much, so I'll have to be around it
Don't want to be tempted to smoke
Daily smoking has been killing the fun in our relationship
I'm not in a good position to break up with her
I don't know how to tell her the daily smoking has been ruining things
She wouldn't listen even when I tried telling her

where can you buy melatonin?

Grocery store, near the medicine section/aisle/however your local grocery stores are set up. Also, CVS, Walgreens, Eckerd, Wal-mart, Target, MOMs Organic (east coast, DMV), Whole Foods... pretty much everywhere, now that I'm coming up with a list.

I'd suggest getting 3mg instant release tabs of melatonin. I'm a pretty small guy with godawful sleep problems and two of those 3mg pills will get me in the mood to sleep pretty quickly. They won't knock you out or anything, though... It's something to take right before you lie down in bed, and as your laying there the melatonin will guide you to sleep so gently that you'll be waking up at 8am the next morning thinking you had shut your eyes for only a moment during that last commercial break.

Cliffs for you tl;dr people

Gf and I have been daily smokers for a year
I want to take a month break from it (started a few days ago)
She doesn't want to quit for that long
We live together pretty much, so I'll have to be around it
Don't want to be tempted to smoke
Daily smoking has been killing the fun in our relationship
I'm not in a good position to break up with her
I don't know how to tell her the daily smoking has been ruining things
She wouldn't listen even when I tried telling her

Well, first off, don't try an ultimatum. They rarely work and when they do the results tend to be unintentional. I know you didn't put that in the cliff notes but I feel like someone might likely say to give her an ultimatum, so I'm just getting a jumpstart on that.

Enjoy your newfound sobriety and let her carry on smoking. I hate to sound cliche' but if this habit (or lack thereof) causes you both to be distant and one or either of you doesn't care enough to do something about it... well, unfortunately, in that case I think the relationship may have already run its course.

(It's just two pennies so feel free to throw 'em on the ground and keep movin' if you don't like the look of 'em.)

Last edited:
I have a new approach, since I found that cold turkey wasn't actually addressing the problem - even after months of abstinence, if I smoked one time I'd instantly become a fiend again - and this isn't the right way for me, because I love pot a lot and it is the only one that could ever have a place in my life, and using it in moderation really helps me to meditate - it is meditation for me, and while high is the only way I can ever seem to get anywhere.

My problem is I am hooked, and I am constantly craving a hit. Even once I smoke up, in an hour I'll get unjustifiable cravings to continue smoking. I wake up to insane cravings every morning. But the key is, to learn not to identify with them. Once you are an addict, you are always going to be an addict, those cravings are not going to go away any time soon. So I am learning to deal with them. I'm getting a lot better at it. The longer you get used to going about your daily life in absence of the bong, without letting these cravings affect your productivity , your chances of success in waiting til the end of the day will strengthen.

The experience in going from all day every day to one hit at night, has just been so positive. Well, apart from the suffering of withdrawal which I have had to humbly endure. I get so baked, I'm not capable of getting this baked as a habitual user. The euphoria, and psychedelia, just transform into laziness and stupidity with overuse. Using dope excessively most definitely dumbs the mind down. People who smoke weed way too much, as in never giving the stuff a rest, tend to be extremely boring and lame burnouts.

Smoking weed all day will lower your intellectual abilities temporarily. I'm not saying it has long term effects. I'm just saying someone who has been burning all day is going to have a significantly worse short term memory, than they normally would have. Excessive use is not good for anyone's creativity as well - there's just such a strong brain fog that sets in. Since you will still be able to remember stuff, and since you arn't spending any time sober at all, you might have just forgotten about how much smarter you used to be. Because using this stuff excessively causes retardation of certain brain functions, and it is important to acknowledge this in helping yourself to cut back. I justify this through personal experience, because it is extremely obvious to me how much more intelligent I have become since I stopped using it habitually - but I'm sure there are studies out there. It doesn't mean that weed isn't awesome and has benefits when used responsibly. It just means using it all day makes you dumber than usual because it's true. You still might be smarter than most of the world population, but still you'll never reach your full potential if you are using too much, and it makes little difference the strength of your sense faculties you were born with, but how you choose to go about using them. And you might find yourself getting dumber before you get smarter, if you choose to cut back, as the misery of withdrawal is not conductive to a productive state of being. But it doesn't last forever.

The most difficult part has been the physical symptoms. I can't eat any food, and I get shitty sleeps even with the one bong rip a day. It sucks how I can't carry on with basic human needs unless I get baked. These withdrawal symptoms are unfortunate, and it is definitely stressing out my body a bit in the short term, but I know that in the long term, I'm basically getting my life back by exercising this incredible amount of willpower that pretty much came out of nowhere. There was a defining moment when I knew this is where I was headed, and suddenly I changed. Because I'm not the same person when I smoke pot all day, and I'm not anywhere near as chill as when I am waiting til the end of the day, using it responsibly and getting incredible highs. But smoking one bong rip a day, doesn't really seem to cloud or obscure my personality at all, as occurs with overuse.

As for actually quitting - well the longer I keep up responsible use, the easier it will be to stop forever if I ever decide that it needs to be done. Presently, that just isn't feasible.

Last edited:
Can you get addicted to cannabis? I didn't think this was possible. I know people who smoke near enough every day but I do believe they do so because it feels good rather than because they are slave to an addiction. I couldn't see the appeal in it daily purely because I turn into a potato with no concept of spatial reality. I will happily take a pass at a joint and love to have my own wee stash of weed but purely to help me deal with a come down, a joint after an orgasm is amazing as well and also on a long hot summer day but rarely ever want one otherwise.

weed is lovely though. As for tolerancy, I do believe a break does bring you right back down. I hadn't smoked in 4 weeks and the first joint I had after that got me thoroughly baked in a few draws. It probably also had to do with the fact that it was extra loaded because my friend had been making them stringer due to his own built of tolerancy.

I take 9 mgs of melatonin along with some anti-psychotics to go to sleep. You don't know what sleep is till you take 400 mgs of seroquel plus melatonin

Can you get addicted to cannabis? I didn't think this was possible. I know people who smoke near enough every day but I do believe they do so because it feels good rather than because they are slave to an addiction. I couldn't see the appeal in it daily purely because I turn into a potato with no concept of spatial reality. I will happily take a pass at a joint and love to have my own wee stash of weed but purely to help me deal with a come down, a joint after an orgasm is amazing as well and also on a long hot summer day but rarely ever want one otherwise.

weed is lovely though. As for tolerancy, I do believe a break does bring you right back down. I hadn't smoked in 4 weeks and the first joint I had after that got me thoroughly baked in a few draws. It probably also had to do with the fact that it was extra loaded because my friend had been making them stringer due to his own built of tolerancy.

I completely agree. I smoke a couple bonghits around 8 p.m. for my evening unwind of the day. After toking for 44 yrs, I still don't need to toke on a regular basis. When I don't, it doesn't bother me in the least. After about 35 yrs of cannabis, I went into the 'reverse tolerance' aspect of it. I don't nearly need as much to get high as I did when in my 20s & 30s. Believe me, I'm not complaining...I love the fact that a little bit goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.