• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What Did You Do For Your Education/Career Today?

Heuristic

Bluelight Crew
I noticed a thread with a similar title in Healthy Living, and I thought it might be useful here too. Education and careers, like health, are won and sustained by daily, small steps. Telling each other, a group of mostly strangers but also a kind of community as well, what we've done, or haven't done, each day can be useful. It can be motivational, it can help make even small efforts seem "more real" (as things do when we speak them aloud or write them out), and it can allow us to contrast/compare with what others are doing.

If you're working and you'd rather not describe the work, why not describe some other long-term project relating to education or skill improvement? Or talk about what you're doing to find such a project.

Mods, if this is inappropriate or a bad idea, or repeats an existing thread, please delete, with my apologies.

I think this is a great idea for a thread! Hopefully it will hit the ground running...

Today I read 22 pages of text on ASP.NET AJAX during breakfast at Panera (this book is my "recreational reading" for November...yes, I know...), and I might actually try and cover another 10 or so with my afternoon coffee.

Took notes on another job listing, so that I can tailor my resume/cover letter rubrics and hopefully get the application sent in by tomorrow or Thursday.

i did periodic inventory in a warehouse all night last night and smoked weed all morning when i got home. now i'm reading The Burning Plain stories for spanish history...

worked on my pistol drills and my transitional drills. (slinging rifle and drawing pistol with sight picture)skills that go without constants practice, wane.

Awesome thread idea!

- I met with my professor to go over my tax & estate planning certificate applications, which he signed off on. We also discussed possible career moves and how to best situate myself in a position where I can get a job I enjoy.
- I did an hour of work that goes to the 'pro bono' requirement of both certificates. :)

^^OMG this makes me smile that you chose my favorite specialty <3 <3 <3 Smart move, counsel! If you ever need a CA secretary... ;)

I had about half my homework due tomorrow completed before noon. The other half I will start at around 3 and work until 5. I also added my current coursework and certification in progress to my resume, and it's ready to be sent to potential winter employers once my resume proofreader has a final look. :)

Today I dropped my phone durring a preinterview questionaire, the phone disconnected from the employer and dialed the operator on its own, by the time i picked up the phone the operator was asking for the city and listing i was looking for, at this point I just kind of flipped out, went and smoked a cigarette...

The job was for a computer technician at a boys ranch owned by the sherriffs office... needless to say ... if the person who was talking to me was affiliated with law enforcement im sure i wont be getting this job.

I still continue to make it a goal to find and apply for atleast 5 jobs a day, and am still unemployed and broke, hunger has set in, and if it werent for my family that lives about 5 miles away from me I would probably be dead by now.

but still... push on....

Finished my econ homework and scored a bunch of fruit flies.

I'm sick. So I stayed at home and read French theory!

Tomorrow I have a meeting with someone to discuss a project I'm going to work on for the school of social sciences. I'm doing the academic equivalent of washing dishes: putting a survey online and then collating the results. But it's some extra money at a time when I'm basically on the breadline, puts me in touch with some important people, and is good experience for the future so I don't mind.

I got an hour long lesson in my math class and that's the only education I got today.

oh, and i procrastinated on my research paper that's due friday for my career development class (Y)

Boshed out an essay on truth and an introduction to my dissertation on epistemology. Which is approximately equal to the sum of work I've done in the last month. Good to get back on track.

Got another 14 pages of recreational compsci reading done tonight and started learning to work with a new program. It could have been more, but the cafe had free WiFi and therefore free Bluelight...:\

I'm considering a career change at some point (I've had two very different ones so far), and regardless of how serious I am about that I need a new hobby, and so I've started brushing up on forgotten maths and sciences. I've gotten a hold of a fairly decent Calculus text, that also bills itself as an introduction to analysis, and I've been working my way through that on commutes and trips, and in my spare time. I may have read all of about 10 pages in it today. Unfortunately, given my schedule and the density of the material, 10 pages a day or so in that book is all I can manage. Slow-going, but a truly wonderful book. Wish I had used it when I first learned calc.

Been considering picking up one of those math olympiad/putnam training books as a means of refreshing my knowledge in other areas.

:) Small steps, I suppose. I also keep meaning to pick up programming again, but the world has evolved substantially since the days of DOS, and I don't I'd know even where to begin choosing a compiler, much less a language (once upon a time I was pretty decent at C, and some assembler).

I'm going to stay away from discussing my work in here, unless anyone is suffering from insomnia. :)

But I consider the maths and sciences as part of a long-term project, so I figure it's okay for inclusion.

^ Which Calculus book are you using?

Regarding programming, well it's a pretty open-market right now in terms of which path to start in on. But I can assure you that C is still contingently popular (as you have C++ and C# having it as a proper subset), and actually understanding assembly can go a long way in terms of learning maturity.

If you want, you can send me a PM about your career change and I can possibly direct you to the most relevant/practical mathematics and computer technology for such.

^ was half-asleep when I wrote that. The math/programming stuff is simply a hobby, partly because I enjoy it and it relaxes me, and partly because I find working on unrelated but challenging problems enhances my performance at work. Nothing to do with a possible career-shift, which at this point is extremely speculative.

If you have any recommendations regarding books, that'd be very welcome. Keep in mind that I'm well below your level of expertise. The calc book is by a guy named Spivak. I enjoy it, but it's much more thorough than I remember my course having been, with a far greater emphasis on proofs. :) My progress may also have something to do with reading it in the early morning or late night/evening with the blackberry sitting on the open page.

Looks like everyone on here is doing some great work. Good job getting back on track Yerg! Hardest thing to do, imho.

The calc book is by a guy named Spivak.

Ah, spivak.

Freshman year, linear algebra/calculus combo class.

Spivak is more "readable" than others, but as I got older/more mature, I started prefering Rudin. Look that one up, it's classic.