Cannabis therapy online

sera20

Greenlighter
The National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC) is conducting a study that will test the effectiveness of a new web-based treatment for cannabis use. We are looking for people who are interested in quitting cannabis or reducing their use. If you are 18 or older and have regular access to the Internet, please contact Sally Rooke for further information about the study.

Email: [email protected]

Thanks,
Sally

Last edited by a moderator:
And just a note that I saw from other material on this program that the trial is open to anyone around the world (although it is run from Australia).

Why do we have to be 18+ years of age? Lots of people under that age smoke and want to try to quit or cut back...

Nahh im good on that.

Web-based cannabis treatment? Brainwash?

tbh i know this is the studies forum, and this ridiculous and biased study by a bunch of brainwashed morons technically fits the forum rules but i indubitably believe the OP needs to GTFO

My role is not to defend the researcher, but as one myself, I think you guys need to calm down and take a deep breath... so I'll do my best at addressing your comments. sera20, feel free to join in %) - and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why do we have to be 18+ years of age? Lots of people under that age smoke and want to try to quit or cut back...

This is likely to be due to research ethics. Many studies are restricted to adults only to address concerns that research ethics committees have about younger people participating in research. Having said that, I negotiated 16+ in my study and that may have been possible here too.

NCPIC sounds like a bunch of shit to me.

Cannabis prevention? Like come on

I think the name of the institution is a bit unfortunate too. On the other hand, the NCPIC is staffed with reputable researchers from around Australia, including from places I work for and have worked for. I believe they are also interested in harm reduction, it's a shame their name makes this seem unlikely.

Nahh im good on that.

Web-based cannabis treatment? Brainwash?

Actually there's been heaps of research lately trialling web based treatments not just for drug problems but also for mental health issues. It can help some people. And if that is true, then I think web based treatments should be more widely available - especially if people can't or won't go to see someone in person, this may help them. Why not?

tbh i know this is the studies forum, and this ridiculous and biased study by a bunch of brainwashed morons technically fits the forum rules but i indubitably believe the OP needs to GTFO

The study is a randomised control trial of two treatments for *people who want to cut down their cannabis use*. Why this is 'ridiculous and biased' is beyond me. Folks who are happy with their smoking should continue to be happy with their smoking and let people who want to participate in a treatment program to do so...

Stay.Blazed.420, unless you can actually back up this claim with some kind of evidence, I'm not going to tolerate any more bashing of researchers or their studies - it's not in the spirit of this forum and it's not in anyone's interests.

Marijuana does not seem to be chemically addictive. I mean, I guess its possible for some people to stop producing endocannabinoids, but I have never seen anyone go through withdrawals or have to battle intense cravings from marijuana.

My opinion is that the remedy for a primarily psychological rather than chemical dependency should be addressed with counseling and self help.

However, if you actually find someone who genuinely wants to stop smoking weed but finds themselves unable to do so, then I fully support your attempt to help them.

This one too :)

Sally has informed me that the research team is currently writing up results for this study and will let us know when they are complete.

yes good topics.
Although all of the long-term effects of marijuana use are not yet known, there are studies showing serious health concerns. For example, a group of scientists in California examined the health status of 450 daily smokers of marijuana, but not tobacco. They found that the marijuana smokers had more sick days and more doctor visits for respiratory problems and other types of illness than did a similar group who did not smoke either substance.
Findings so far show that the regular use of marijuana may play a role in cancer and problems of the immune and respiratory systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumped this to give an update ten years later.

The National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC) was established in 2008 in response to data published in the Pfizer Australia Health Report. NDARC and NCPIC have collaborated with Pfizer Australia to assist with educating the public about cannabis.[1] Many in the Australian community are concerned that this collaboration and NCPIC involvement with GW Pharmaceutical and SATIVEX[2] places NDARC and NCPIC in a position of conflicted interests.[1] In 2016 it was announced that the Australian government would cut funding to the NCPIC at year's end.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cannabis_Prevention_and_Information_Centre

So Pfizer Australia wanted to educate the public about cannabis. Interesting.

Fast forward ten years and here is the current situation. I'm pretty sure Pfizer was and is aware that medical cannabis successfully competes with some of its current products.

Medical marijuana could cost big pharma $4 billion a year
Once medical marijuana becomes a legitimate part of the healthcare industry, that is
Mike Adams
May 28, 2017

Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Prescription Medication Use In Medicare Part D
Ashley C. Bradford1and W. David Bradford2
Affiliations
PUBLISHED:July 2016

Pfizer, Merck, Other Big Pharmas Likely to Acquire Marijuana-Based Drug Companies
June 13, 2016, 05:58:14 PM EDT By Barry Cohen,